The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Simple Home Mastering - Normalize / Limit?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Simple Home Mastering - Normalize / Limit?

I know Mastering is a fine art, but I just wanted some advice on simple Home mastering to get a healthy mastered stereo waveform.

I create Dance Music, so Master compressor to make it pump slightly on my DAW master track, but only peak to about -6db when doing the finished render.

I then import into my Editor (Twisted Wave) to do the general Mastering, nothing amazing, but really just to pump up the waveform (as its dance music)

Now sometimes I get uneven L&R tracks in the stereo field, and wonder what this is? is it simply a case of just general recording, that they differ slightly in volume - or is this DC offset or something similar that i can eliminate with a DAW process or plugin?

Also do I normalize first, then L1 master for a nice -0.2db mastered waveform (which sometimes works, sometimes not) or is it down to my Master compressor back in the DAW stage?

Or would a -6db premaster just benefit from L1 Master at -4db limiting to push it up?

As mentioned, I know Mastering is a whole art in itself, but just general -0.2db Limited masters would be great, and just reassurance to know if I am doing it right, or whether there are some tips I don't know about?

I do look at other mastered commercial dance tracks and they vary from quite healthy to fairly blocky, brickwall tracks with the peaks all clipped quite hard.

Both sound good, but I always am quite cautious when clipping the tops off the peaks, but maybe i shouldn't be, and if i am last in the mastering chain (for me) then they are probably ok like this?

Thank you for any help, and hope some of that makes sense, here in the Mastering Forum
Old 3 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Simple home mastering is not mastering.
Do not do things you have to ask first about. Dance music does not mean automatically a master buss compression set by numbers.
You may do whatever if it makes the mix sound better and translates outside of your room.
If you have to judge the signal by its waveform then your monitoring chain is not that good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsh333 View Post
Now sometimes I get uneven L&R tracks in the stereo field, and wonder what this is? is it simply a case of just general recording, that they differ slightly in volume - or is this DC offset or something similar that i can eliminate with a DAW process or plugin?
That depends on your mix (or mixing if you are mastering your own mixed tracks). If it is done by choice than fine, if not , back to the mixing stage. It is not DC offset.
Old 3 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

I would aim at a couple of dB reduction rather than 4 on your brick wall limiter if possible.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
I would aim at a couple of dB reduction rather than 4 on your brick wall limiter if possible.
Yes that was one of the presets, I tame it back a little to taste and try looking at the waveform, but basically just 'tickle' it at around -1.5db or a bit above
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search