The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Project at 96/24 ready to be mastered
Old 8th January 2020
Project at 96/24 ready to be mastered

Hello, happy twenty-twenty.

I have a project, a jazz guitar trio, recorded at 96/24 that is ready to be mastered.
Is an hybrid project, all analog preamp, almost no plugin during the mix.
For mastering I have an SSL Fusion and an IGS Tubecore.
I gave one track to a (very) famous mastering studio to make a comparison and the result was very encouraging. Very close. But mine is still at 96/24 while the output of the "very famous studio" is of course at 44.1/16. No audible losses.
I wish to produce 3 formats
-96/24 for Hi-Res Audio like Qobuz
-48/24 for other streaming platforms
-44.1/16 for physical CD.

Witch is the best, or the standard, procedure to do the 48-44.1?
Via software like Ozone on the mastered 96/24?
Or is better to record the output of the SSL and IGS in another protools session with the sample rate needed?
My Lufs target is -14 also for the CD

Thanks
Cheers
Old 8th January 2020
do your listening tests since it much depends on you specific setup. You may like the src better than the native acquisition or not.
Old 9th January 2020
Quote:
Or is better to record the output of the SSL and IGS in another ProTools session with the sample rate needed?
The only reason why you would do this is if your PC cannot handle the extra processing. There is no sound benefit to doing it in another project.
Quote:
Witch is the best, or the standard, procedure to do the 48-44.1?
Via software like Ozone on the mastered 96/24?
I'm not a fan of Ozone. But if you are doing it just for dithering and conversion, i guess its fine
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

A few quick points to consider:

It would be better to resample to 44.1kHz from the 96kHz and avoid an unnecessary SRC step (96 > 48 > 44.1).

The 48kHz might be unnecessary altogether as many streaming platforms/aggregators only accept 16/44.1 files. If it were me, I would rather handle the SRC than leave it to them.

For SRC, some good options include Izotope RX and Weiss Saracon. Voxengo R8Brain is reasonable and cheaper. Another very good option which also happens to be free is FinalCD, but it is a command line utility only. For the price of good SRC, it may be more cost effective to have a ME do the SRC for you.

It may indeed sound best to recapture from the analogue source at the desired sample rate. As mentioned, you will have to listen.
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
A few quick points to consider:

It would be better to resample to 44.1kHz from the 96kHz and avoid an unnecessary SRC step (96 > 48 > 44.1).

The 48kHz might be unnecessary altogether as many streaming platforms/aggregators only accept 16/44.1 files. If it were me, I would rather handle the SRC than leave it to them.

For SRC, some good options include Izotope RX and Weiss Saracon. Voxengo R8Brain is reasonable and cheaper. Another very good option which also happens to be free is FinalCD, but it is a command line utility only. For the price of good SRC, it may be more cost effective to have a ME do the SRC for you.

It may indeed sound best to recapture from the analogue source at the desired sample rate. As mentioned, you will have to listen.
FinalCD has a frontend...
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
FinalCD has a frontend...
True. It has some limitations though.
Old 11th January 2020
Thanks everybody.
I have Ozone 9. Next week, when the saga "oh no to much reverb! - "a little bit more guitar?" will be terminated I will go ahead with dithering-conversion.
Cheers
B.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search