The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastered a song with headphones, sounds bad on speakers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Mastered a song with headphones, sounds bad on speakers

Really annoyed. If i master one of my songs with headphones, it sounds the way i want with headphones but bad with speakers. If i master a song with speakers it sounds the way i want with speakers, but bad with headphones. I do not use any EQ settings with my headphones, speakers or media players.

I know i suck at mastering technically, but i can get the sound i want. I use Audacity, but i also have paid for versions of Mulab 7 and Harrison Mixbus 4, which i have been too lazy to learn, but am willing to if suggested by you guys.

What's the deal with that? Please go easy on me! It's a newbies first time posting.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I think this belongs in the Beginners forum. I'm sure you get better answers there.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I messaged Riccardo to get here and told him exactly what i was posting, he said "you can". So here i am.
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAston View Post
I messaged Riccardo to get here and told him exactly what i was posting, he said "you can". So here i am.

Getting permission to post here implies reading and following forum rules.
It is now in the right sub-forum.
Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Is anyone gonna help me?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey Alex, I think this is primarily about accurate monitoring. If your monitoring has 'a sound,' then whatever you do to make things sound good will only sound good on those speakers/phones and won't translate to other listening environments.

This is the reason that most mastering folks put a lot of effort into their monitoring, because we need to be confident that what we hear and do will translate to the rest of the world.

That may not be the answer you were looking for, but the more accurate you can get your monitoring, the less frustrating it will be. Your decisions will be clearer and more confident and you will ultimately have more fun.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Really annoyed. If i master one of my songs with headphones, it sounds the way i want with headphones but bad with speakers.
Is anyone gonna help me?
In order to get your master to translate well onto other sound systems, you should master them in an acoustically tuned room with very flat near-field and full-range reference monitors. Then you train your ears to that room and you use what ever means necessary to get the master to translate well on other sound systems. Its kinda an art and an acquired skill that can take decades, when you combine all the training and stages that get you to be a mastering engineer.

So short answer is to not use headphones and tune your room and train your ears to your room.

If you cannot hear and decipher the true sounds, you cannot master or even mix your song they way you want it to sound. you are just mastering it to what you 'Think' it sounds like
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I definitely need to echo the other comments and say that without accurate monitoring, you can't hear what it is you're actually doing. A properly treated monitoring room would almost always yield the best results. However, if you absolutely must master through headphones, I'd recommend a decent set of open-back headphones, and a crossfeed plugin, to place towards the end of your chain. I highly recommend "Canopener Studio" by Goodhertz, but if you want to go the (even) cheaper route, you should check out the "Cans C" setting on the excellent "Monitoring" plugin, made by the brilliant Chris, at Airwindows.

I'd also recommend some sort of headphone EQ correction, whether it's done manually, or using a program like Sonarworks or TB Morphit. If you chose to do that, you'd ideally want to place the EQ correction as the last plugin in the chain, with the crossfeed plugin right before it. And most importantly, MAKE SURE TO DISABLE BOTH OF THOSE PLUGINS BEFORE YOU BOUNCE YOU TRACKS!

Hope any of that helps,
-TKB
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search