The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So! Why does my Master sound so overcooked and overpowered at -14 LUFS?
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear
So! Why does my Master sound so overcooked and overpowered at -14 LUFS?

I've recently mastered a few of my songs using Wavelab 9.5 and Ozone 8 with maybe some additional compression. The default loudness is set to -14 LUFS for streaming.

I know that playing it back on various devices will sound different but, in general, the songs sounded way too big, overpowered and "hot". Is that a mixing problem? I'm not quite getting it at the moment.
Old 10th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc4rter View Post
I've recently mastered a few of my songs using Wavelab 9.5 and Ozone 8 with maybe some additional compression. The default loudness is set to -14 LUFS for streaming.

I know that playing it back on various devices will sound different but, in general, the songs sounded way too big, overpowered and "hot". Is that a mixing problem? I'm not quite getting it at the moment.
First we would have to hear it as it can be a recording, mixing and/or mastering problem or all the above.
So we should hear the mix (pre-master) and then the master and then we may be able to determine what is going on.

I can tell you that is the mix is not how you like it, its not ready for mastering. Mastering is not meant to change the sound, it should only have subtle EQ edits in and maybe some mid and side EQ edits and then dynamic controlled processing to it
Old 10th October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
First we would have to hear it as it can be a recording, mixing and/or mastering problem or all the above.
So we should hear the mix (pre-master) and then the master and then we may be able to determine what is going on.

I can tell you that is the mix is not how you like it, its not ready for mastering. Mastering is not meant to change the sound, it should only have subtle EQ edits in and maybe some mid and side EQ edits and then dynamic controlled processing to it
Thanks for the reply. I'm kinda thinking it's my mix that was the problem. I've had another go and it certainly sounds better although I did reduce the loudness level to -18 LUFS also.
Old 10th October 2019
-18 LUFS will sound lower than everything else, unless you are producing classical music. Are you?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When listening back, I found it really helpful to compare songs I am working on to similar songs released on the target platform (streaming I'm guessing) in the same genre.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

a guess-

somewhere along the process of creating your mix,
you congested your high end,...
either frequency wise, or compression wise, or distortion wise...

and now, when you apply final compression and/or limiting,
you are bringing that 'over cooked' high end out even more,
which sounds fatiguing EVEN at low RMS levels....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search