The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying to understand how a waveform can be small but louder
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Nut

Trying to understand how a waveform can be small but louder

When I get our stuff mastered (we've used guys like Bob Ludwig, Sterling Sound guys, etc) and compare back to references, I don't understand how it always seems like they're quieter, yet the waveform for the references is smaller!

They don't seem to be particularly brighter and I feel like our stuff is even more squished and quieter, and we send in an unlimited very lightly processed mix.

Is waveform size not end-all-be-all? Is it because I'm missing a subwoofer? Headphones aren't pushing the subs enough? I guess in my car it seems to equal out more, like the drums come across much more overpowering and such.

Only thing I can think is our mix/master is pushing a lot of subs in the drums that my monitors (Adam A7x) and headphones (Senn HD800s + bass boost from ifi Black Label amp), aren't picking up.

If you'd like to hear the masters for critiquing check it out in the "Work in Progress/Advice requested" forum

Last edited by Musickiks; 18th September 2019 at 05:13 PM..
Old 20th September 2019
A waveform is just a representation of audio and it doesn't measure the perceived loudness of sound. also, depending on your scale, the waveform can be big or small depending on how you set the scale.

Do not look at waveform to see how loud something is. We look with our eyes, not hear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search