The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Radio Problems
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Radio Problems

Hi there,
I'm after some advice /guidance. I'm a DIY musician recording for myself and friends. Recently recorded an EP and mastered it. We were all very happy with the result on both CD and streaming services. However one of the songs got some radio play and it became apparently that it sounded quieter, but not just that, there was a jump in volume during one section of the song and it sounded slightly distorted there.
Now I figure that its not playing nice with the radio compressors. But it's not the sort of thing I can test myself, not owning such a device. So I'm after things to look at to improve myself. I used the Lurssenn Mastering console so I hoped it would take care of this kind of thing. I guess not and must assume that part of my mixing is at fault? But I can't understand why. I don't go crazy with compression and always leave lots of headroom on the master bus when bouncing the PreMaster.
Help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
However one of the songs got some radio play and it became apparently that it sounded quieter, but not just that, there was a jump in volume during one section of the song and it sounded slightly distorted there.
Do you have a lot of experience mastering?
It just needs to be re-mastered so it p[lays its best on all sound systems, even radio. This separates the pro's form the amateurs. So if you an amateur, i would get it mastered.
There are no set things to do, mastering doesn't work like that. as it needs to be analyzed in a controlled tuned environment and then mastered to what the mastering engineer deems necessary, in order for it to translate well on every sound system.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi CJ. Thanks for taking time to respond. Only a bit through dabbling with my personal music. I've done a bit of experimenting and I think I know where I'm going wrong.

Firstly my pre-masters were being bounced hotter than I thought. But much, but enough to matter. So I've learned to make some improvements there. Also, as I was using a program that analyses and masters for me (Lurssen) I was only analysing the quiet section. So it was correcting the levels on that, then slamming the louder part. It was just a thick block when I pulled it into my DAW to take a visual look. I got a demo of Ozone and had a play. Went back to basics and re-did the premaster and now I have a much more dynamic master which is audibly and visually better. I also used the loudness penalty website and saw a drastic improvement. So although I won't know for sure until I get a new version played on local radio (Hopefully) I'm a lot more confident.

I've also learned a heck of a lot in the past few days.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Congratulations on the radio play!

It sounds like you worked out you had a bit of an overcompression problem. You should also keep an eye on the sub bass which can be a 'hidden' problem if your monitoring doesn't reproduce it, but it will interact with radio processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnobi View Post
So I'm after things to look at to improve myself.
This is 90% about monitoring. The closer you can get to hearing what's really there without your monitors and room telling you lies, the better you will be able to make judgements about how things will translate. The alternative is to listen to mixes in as many different playback environments as possible. But radio is still its own thing.

This scenario is also a really good argument for professional mastering. Professional mastering is essentially a guarantee that there won't be any of these type of surprises. If you're music is good enough to attract airplay, then you do yourself a disservice by taking the risk that people's first impression will be of it sounding unprofessional or weird in some way.

Best of luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Post a sample of the CD version, so those who may be able to help you can hear, otherwise it's an exercise in futility.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search