The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Master session setup and software
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Nut

Master session setup and software

Hi i am starting to put out some music for myself and clients.
I do not want to go off yet to a Master engineer.
Hopefully down the track i can go that way.
I have Ozone 7 and Pro Tools 2018.
Should i master in Pro Tools or standalone.

Any other suggestions on software options for decent
ITB mastering ?

Also i was wondering how to go about setting up my mastering session.

Once i have my full EP or album mixed and ready 44.1, 24bit WAV etc.

do i bring them all in order into Pro Tools or Ozone?
Should i run Ozone or similar in Pro Tools or standalone?

My real concern is how to get the album ready for the cd with numbering tracks and naming tracks for the cd once the mastering is done.

Also should i Master the entire EP/album as one or should i look at changes track by track?
I was thinking to Master the entire album as one so it has cohesion.?

Then how would i name the tracks etc for breakdown to a Master cd for reproduction.

Thanks in Advance Mastering Newbie
Old 3rd September 2019
Mastering Moderator

I am not familiar with Ozone stand alone. I would do it in pro tools just for the flexibility. You can import your tracks lined up one after the other in the chosen order, do any needed processing (IF ANY IS NEEDED), automate Ozone or any other plug you may decide to use, automate levels if needed, do any editing, cross fading ans so on (if needed of course). You could then name the tracks as usual with track number, title, maybe version (i.e M1) bit depth and sample rate.
You will then need a mastering application to compile a CD Master (either a DDP for digital delivery to the plant or a physical disc). Within the app you can assign definitive track names, CD text if required, ISRC and UPC EAN codes and produce a master for replication.

This is in short. Bear in mind you are asking a question akin to " I have an harp in my closed, how do I play it"

well sort of....!
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

Hi thanks for the information much appreciated.

So would i load the tracks in Pro Tools on the same audio track?
One after the other? Or seperate audio tracks one after the other?
I guess there is no overall difference except for doing leveling of volume and EQ on seperate tracks.
Also do you automate with mastering or set the plugins etc for the overall?
Going through track be track and change plugin settings as needed or set and forget for the entire album.
I did not think there was automation in mastering just going through and making sure the volume for each track was level.
I ws thinking the mastering was a global setting.

Are there any other options you would suggest instead of Ozone?
I was thinking of running Fabfilter linear Proq2 EQ into Ozone maximizer and limiter or just Ozone by itself might be fine.

Once mastered how do you seperate the tracks to drop into the DDP software.
Is that done in Pro Tools the track naming etc or is it just mastered in Pro Tools on the one audio track then bounced out and then chopped where needed in something like Hofa and all the naming and numbering of tracks done in HOFA or some other DDP etc.
I understand all the fades in and outs are done in Pro Tools im just not sur how to seperate the tracks then to name and number them for distribution and cd.
I am thinking that is done in HOFA or similar?

Thanks for the help.
Old 5th September 2019
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwalker76 View Post
Hi thanks for the information much appreciated.

So would i load the tracks in Pro Tools on the same audio track?
One after the other? Or seperate audio tracks one after the other?
I guess there is no overall difference except for doing leveling of volume and EQ on seperate tracks.
Also do you automate with mastering or set the plugins etc for the overall?
Going through track be track and change plugin settings as needed or set and forget for the entire album.
I did not think there was automation in mastering just going through and making sure the volume for each track was level.
I ws thinking the mastering was a global setting.
Yes it depends on your workflow. In PT you can line them up in order within the same track and automate volume as well as any plug ins along the album timeline. You could also spread the songs along different tracks although this would probably be less cpu efficient if you use the same plug ins with different settings per track. So yes it is up to you, whatever works best.

If the mixes come from top mixers (top artists, arrangers, production team, tracked and mixed in the same place) then any processing if needed will likely be similar from track to track. Tracks written, produced, arranged, recorded and mixed by different people over a long period of time are likely to require different treatments and so a given level of automation (level, eq, maybe compression and limiting and so on) between tracks.
Old 5th September 2019
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Are there any other options you would suggest instead of Ozone?
I was thinking of running Fabfilter linear Proq2 EQ into Ozone maximizer and limiter or just Ozone by itself might be fine.
Ozone in good hands is fine and is enough for mastering your EP or album.

The limiter is also good sounding if used in moderation.
ProQ3 (or 2) and Equilibrium are two of my preferred Eq plug ins but that is just a personal preference.
Old 5th September 2019
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Once mastered how do you seperate the tracks to drop into the DDP software.
Is that done in Pro Tools the track naming etc or is it just mastered in Pro Tools on the one audio track then bounced out and then chopped where needed in something like Hofa and all the naming and numbering of tracks done in HOFA or some other DDP etc.
I understand all the fades in and outs are done in Pro Tools im just not sur how to seperate the tracks then to name and number them for distribution and cd.
I am thinking that is done in HOFA or similar?

Thanks for the help.
From PT you can select a clip (or region depending on version) and export it (maintaining the session SR and bit depth). I would name the files now to be sure no mistakes happen down the line but this is up to you. I also prefer to export finished tracks with fades done and as you said... "chopped"
You can then drop them into a mastering application like Hofa or others in the right sequence and add metadata if needed. This means your Cd Text titles, ISRC codes, UPC EAN maybe cat number and so on. if your tracks are not at 16 bit 44 kHz you will need to add SRC and dither. If your chosen mastering app doesn't support SRC and dither you will have to export files from PT already Sample rate converted and dithered down to 16 bit (assuming CD manufacturing is needed).

Hope this helps.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks very much for the information.
I will have to start doing some Masters and look further into the process from there but that has given me a very good start to work with.

Can i ask what you use for ITB Mastering software?

I am going to use Ozone. I was thinking also of adding Fabfilter EQ in front of it, though like you said Ozone will be fine by itself.

I will also have to check how to add space between each track in HOFA so there is the silence between tracks. Unless when bouncing from Pro Tools there is the silence before and after each track there?

I am also wanting to put samples etc between tracks but not number them as a track. Like an in between sample or a lead into a track just before audio. I guess that can be done in HOFA? Or in Pro Tools as well?
I will look into that further as needed and ask questions here
Thanks for your help.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search