The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rounding a specific instrument in a mix
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut
Rounding a specific instrument in a mix

Hi,

I would really appreciate some guidance with something, I’ve kinda been scratching my head about:

I had a mix that contained a lush orchestra with a minimal piano part as a lead.

The piano part sounded nice, but quite ‘sharp’ in a slightly thin kind of way.

It wasn’t just 1 freq that was doing this, so I wasn’t sure what to do - tried a de-esser, eq-ing out some of the higher freqs. Adding lower freq seemed to bring up the muddiness in the strings.

I sent the pre-master to Landr to see what happens (dirty word to some but it can reveal to a mastering beginner like me what is possible)
And the master came back fine - the piano was much better balanced and well rounded.

Any tips thoughts or ideas on how to deal with this kind of issue?

Thanks

P.
Old 17th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillus View Post
Hi,

I would really appreciate some guidance with something, I’ve kinda been scratching my head about:

I had a mix that contained a lush orchestra with a minimal piano part as a lead.

The piano part sounded nice, but quite ‘sharp’ in a slightly thin kind of way.

It wasn’t just 1 freq that was doing this, so I wasn’t sure what to do - tried a de-esser, eq-ing out some of the higher freqs. Adding lower freq seemed to bring up the muddiness in the strings.

I sent the pre-master to Landr to see what happens (dirty word to some but it can reveal to a mastering beginner like me what is possible)
And the master came back fine - the piano was much better balanced and well rounded.

Any tips thoughts or ideas on how to deal with this kind of issue?

Thanks

P.
Do Landr use multi-band compression or maybe a dynamic multi-band EQ?
Old 17th August 2019
Gear Nut
OK thanks - I'll try dynamic multi-band to bring up a lower order harmonic of the piano, or take down the bitey bit.
Old 17th August 2019
Definitely worth a try. Piano is a good example as it has such a wide frequency and dynamic range.

Is the piano in stereo or more positioned as a mono source?
Old 17th August 2019
I would assume AI mastering would use stuff similar to Gullfoss for EQing, Sonible Smart Comp, and Elevate for multiband limiting...

Does it seem more like an EQ balance issue, or taming of the transients (which I wouldn't really have thought Landr should do)
Old 23rd August 2019
Maybe some Mid and Side Equalization cuts and boost at certain frequencies would help. The frequencies for the side and Mid edits would have to be determined on how it sounds originally.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search