The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
To limit or not
Old 7th February 2019
To limit or not

Hey,

I was looking at some reference tracks in my daw and noticed that some of my favorite tracks doesnt seem to be limited. They are still quite loud though. Crest facror around 3. This is hardcore punk music.

I was wondering if its a normal practice to skip the limiter and just use compression on pro masters?
Old 13th February 2019
Well... just for the record. It seems like there are more unlimited masters than you'd think. Vinyl masters aren't limited.. and there seem to be alot of masters that isnt brickwalled/clipped or have its peaks "brutally" shaved off.

I think those seemingly unlimited masters sound really good. Would be nice to learn more how to go about that from seasoned ME's.

Like everything in audio, its program based, but if anyone has ever done some masters without a limiter i would be very interested to learn about the processing involved. Especially saturation and compressing techiques.

Please chime in with a couple of cents.

All the best, Kenneth
Old 16th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister m View Post
Hey,

I was looking at some reference tracks in my daw and noticed that some of my favorite tracks doesn't seem to be limited. They are still quite loud though. Crest facror around 3. This is hardcore punk music.

I was wondering if its a normal practice to skip the limiter and just use compression on pro masters?
Compression is limiting, it just has a higher ratio setting. So you just use what ever works for that song. There are no standard settings and no standard things to use.

If you are mastering a genre that has a good dynamic range, then you need to respect it and use what ever it needs to keep it form clipping while keeping the dynamics of it.
Old 18th February 2019
Thanx! That helps my mindset alot!
Really appreciate it CJ!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search