The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ad calibration
Old 21st November 2018
Here for the gear

ad calibration

good morning slutz

i need some help concerning the calibration level in my a/d. it is already at
+4dbu / -18dbfs for my mixing tasks. does it make sense to raise it to -14 or -12 for mastering purposes ? or even higher?

mh 2882 pitches ---> analog process ---> mh uln2 catches

thanks
Old 28th December 2018
Gear Head

You'll want more headroom for analog gear during mastering than you may need for mixing so as to be able to make changes to approved mixes with least additional coloration. You can get plenty of make-up gain digitally, after capture, or at the end of the chain for analog masters (e.g., cutting the clean output of the eq chain hotter via the program switches from which you signal to the amps). So, you might consider using 0 dBu for your 0 VU setting. This is where 1 kHz @ 0.775 V RMS =, say, - 14 dBFSD. Compared to where you have it, now, which is equivalent to +1.228 V RMS (i.e. +4 dBu) = - 18 dBFSD, you'll gain 8 dB headroom, since, for now, you have - 14 dBFSD @ + 8 dBu.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search