The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Right LUFS?
Old 14th October 2018
Here for the gear
Right LUFS?

Hello All,

I am producing Deep House, very musical, taking a lot of care about melody and harmony, in fact is not focused in rythm only. I have been reading some engineers talking about mastering nowadays, saying the loudness war is over and stating about the standard for streaming, around -14 LUFS and -16 LUFS depending the platform. They said it doesn't matter how loud or soft your track is mastered, it will sound at the same volume as all others

The thing is I mastered my tracks at targeting -15 LUFS but in comparison with tracks of the same genre a was streaming, i.e. Spotify, my tracks sounds very very soft and I can't understand what is all about then.

Any light will be much appreciate it.

Cheers!
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, the loudness war isn't quite over. For Spotify, volume normalisation only works in the desktop or mobile app when "Advanced Settings>Playback>Set the same volume level for all songs" or "Settings>Music Quality>Normalise volume - set the same volume level for all tracks" are selected. There is no normalisation in the web player.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

IMO, -15 LUFS is low for that genre. EDM is typically some of the loudest stuff around, -6dB or even higher in some cases.

Also, I understand that many streaming services will turn DOWN a track that is too loud but they will not turn UP a track that is low.

If you want to keep some dynamics yet compete with the others try for -10dB LUFS and see where that sits.

Here's a good tool from Ian Shepard for checking streaming levels: Loudness Penalty: Analyzer

Also, it is my opinion (but not everyone here agrees) that a highly compressed track can sound louder than a dynamic version at the same LUFS because of the density, distortion, etc. So even though a streaming service may turn down a -10dB LUFS mix to -14dB it may still sound "louder" than a -14dB mix that was NOT turned down. EQ plays a big part in this as well.
Old 15th October 2018
-15 is really quiet for house (and honestly, really quiet for a lot of stuff). I've been shooting for -10. With a good mix, a -10 master can sound great. Especially if you want to hang vs. other material on a DJ's USB, you'll need to work your way up the LUFS chain.
Old 15th October 2018
Deleted 691ca21
Getting crazy tired of these newbie "what RMS/what LUFS figure should I master my music to?" threads in this sub-forum...

[EDIT] Sorry to sound so harsh, but surely if you are self-mastering, you know what genre your music is, you just cue up a load of your fave tracks in the same genre and see what kinda loudness range there is, then maybe shoot for the middle of that, at least as a starting point?

Last edited by Deleted 691ca21; 15th October 2018 at 08:50 AM..
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear
Because of trying to adapt your workflow, there is a chance this might be "a getting used to" thing for you. Maybe you listened too loud, couldn't determine the right eq cause of dynamics etc.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Getting crazy tired of these newbie "what RMS/what LUFS figure should I master my music to?" threads in this sub-forum...

[EDIT] Sorry to sound so harsh, but surely if you are self-mastering, you know what genre your music is, you just cue up a load of your fave tracks in the same genre and see what kinda loudness range there is, then maybe shoot for the middle of that, at least as a starting point?
A stickie is needed
Old 15th October 2018
Deleted 691ca21
Yes, I need to invest in a tattoo machine so that I can indelibly mark foreheads with "LOUDNESS FIGURES ARE NOT PRESCRIPTIVE/TARGETS", or something...
Old 15th October 2018
Gearslutz; The self help book for DIY mastering.

Just compare your "master" with tracks from others (not online!) in the same genre and stop watching meters.... It's not rocket science....So happy I grew up without internet.
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear
Thanks to everyone who answered for help. I was trying to target accordingly to the “so called new streaming standard”.
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Because of trying to adapt your workflow, there is a chance this might be "a getting used to" thing for you. Maybe you listened too loud, couldn't determine the right eq cause of dynamics etc.
I am not used to listen ‘too loud’. It is not a masking problem.I just followed suggestions of well know engineers. Simply. But thanks..
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Some amazingly assholeish attitudes here from people commenting in a forum literally called "Mastering for Beginners."
Old 31st January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by deern View Post
Some amazingly assholeish attitudes here from people commenting in a forum literally called "Mastering for Beginners."
Only it wasn't always in "Mastering for Beginners", it got moved here (thankfully).
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Then thank heavens no one in any other forum must cast their eyes on such silly inconvenient questions.
Old 31st January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Right...
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah View Post
Gearslutz; The self help book for DIY mastering.

Just compare your "master" with tracks from others (not online!)
Except that foesnt help because a downloaded version might well be a different loudness to the ones uploaded for streaming. For example CD its recomended -9 LUFS and itunes -16 LUFS . Youd have to hear what it would sound lime once been processed by the streaming sites software. I too grew up without the internet.... but things are changing quickly sometimes its hard to keep abreast.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Head

Google Play Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
Except that foesnt help because a downloaded version might well be a different loudness to the ones uploaded for streaming. For example CD its recomended -9 LUFS and itunes -16 LUFS . Youd have to hear what it would sound lime once been processed by the streaming sites software. I too grew up without the internet.... but things are changing quickly sometimes its hard to keep abreast.
Google Play Music allows uploading your own music to their own library, which offers a quick and direct comparison to other mixes on a streaming service. Great way to get a different perspective on a mix too. I'm pretty happy shooting for -11.5 LUFS, seems to do the trick for my folk rock stuff. EDM goes to -9 or more.

Also, from what I can tell, there are zero issues uploading a -9 LUFS master to a streaming service. My guess is that the lion's share of indie artists (or maybe even most artists) are skipping a special master for streaming services. That said, mastering and matching to comparable professional tracks, ripped from CD and into the DAW, will yield fantastic results for both streaming and otherwise. Not rocket science, but there are some important steps that have to be learned.

BTW, the local library is a great place to get a bunch of CDs for this purpose.

Double BTW, CDs sound f-in GREAT.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search