The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What rms to master at?
Old 6th October 2018
What rms to master at?

I would like to know for streaming and bandcamp. I love dynamics and air. What rms to master at? Thank you. Is it important to be in loud to other masters ? Thank you
Old 6th October 2018
so much rms that it sounds best for your music

Last edited by teebaum; 7th October 2018 at 04:00 PM..
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

For streaming I aim for -16dBFS RMS with a safety limiter at -1dBFS. You can do anything you like to the master from smashing it to leaving all of the dynamics intact and still hit that number.
Old 6th October 2018
I really like -18 but I am thinking mabye that's too low.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
the rms it sounds best for you're music.
If I've set it up right, I find the music usually tells me the range where it wants to sit loudness-wise - establishing a house playback level a few years ago has been a big help with this. It's then down to me to find the right sweet spot, often in the context of other tracks.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Nut

These should be some decent ranges for all of the major releases.

If we are talking full production tracks (drums, bass, leads, vox, guitars, keys, etc...)
-6 to -8 for the louder tracks.
-8 to -10 for the more dynamic tracks.

If we are talking partial instrumentation (missing drums or bass)
-10 to -14 depending on how dense the mix is.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Are we confusing crest factor with master RMS level? The crest factor is completely independent from the RMS level of the track. Crest factor is part of the "how does this sound in the genre" equation while RMS is simply how the master hits the level control on the streaming service.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Are we confusing crest factor with master RMS level? The crest factor is completely independent from the RMS level of the track. Crest factor is part of the "how does this sound in the genre" equation while RMS is simply how the master hits the level control on the streaming service.
Old 7th October 2018
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
-16dBFS RMS
Sorry, but dbFS and RMS cannot be used for one value. Cant be a ME confusing the things..
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

You can and you must. Without the RMS reference you don't know if you're measuring average or peak.
Old 8th October 2018
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
What rms to master at?
How long is a piece of string?
Old 8th October 2018
I am learning mastering and please explain what you mean by string thank you.
Old 13th October 2018
Quote:
I would like to know for streaming and bandcamp. I love dynamics and air. What rms to master at? Thank you. Is it important to be in loud to other masters ? Thank you
Its all relative. You do not master to a certain RMS, because you can have 2 different songs with the same RMS level and one will sound louder than the other. There are more things involved than that. you have to measure short terms and long term Db levels and some other things and always use tour ears as a final judgement

CJ
Old 13th October 2018
Deleted 691ca21
Yeah, if you master to an RMS level you are likely to have the perceptive loudness completely off and it will sound wrong. Even LUFS integrated values need to be tweaked by ear. Might as well just go with the ear in the first place.
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

Absolutely! The best way is to set your monitors up so that your preferred listening level is achieved when program is somewhere in that -16 ballpark and then work by ear.
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Addict

LUFS/LKFS is more precise a value on how the ear works compared to RMS.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search