The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Falsely saving 16bit files to 24bit format: any actual consequences?
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Head

Falsely saving 16bit files to 24bit format: any actual consequences?

Hello everyone,

I have a question here: I need to send a CD Master to a label. For this, I of course have dithered the files down during Mastering to 16 bit in wavelab. Stupid thing tho: I didn't render them down as a 16bit format file (I dithered them, yet didn't set the output format of the file to be 16bit). So I now have a 16bit audio file saved as a 24bit one. Sure enough I will change this mistake (by simply saving the already rendered mastered files as a 16bit file again). Still, I would like to ask to understand:

If I would've send these files away already, would this have caused any serious problems? The actual audio is set to 16bit, yet saved wrongly. I can open the DDP file I created in the HOFA DDP Player normally, which indicates everything works just fine as I would assume? I can also open the CUE File in VLC Player, which does not work as far as I know, when the files are actual 24bit ones. So would there have been any problems at the pressing plant with my files? Would the pressing plant see that I have sent them 16bit audio in a 24bit labeled file?

I'd be happy for answers here, since I really just want to comprehend this and not just fix something just for the sake of it really...

Thanks in advance!

All the best!
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

A lot of this depends on how the software you used works. I assume that your 16bit-word-in-a-24bit-container files would have been stuffed into a 16bit container when you rendered the DDP (in Wavelab?). As far as I know DDP does not support 24bit files.

If you grab a copy of the free bitscope from Stillwell you will be able to see what's going on with your various files.

Bitter << Stillwell Audio
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
Would the pressing plant see that I have sent them 16bit audio in a 24bit labeled file?
As long as the audio files are actually 16bit and not 24bit, it doesn't matte what they are called/labelled. That is my take on it, but you are asking the wrong people. You need to give the Pressing facility and ask them. We all use different programs with different requirements. but one requirement is always the same, you need to submit according to each pressing plants requirements. If not, it will be rejected and a waste of time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search