The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering advice Headphone Amps
Old 11th June 2018
Here for the gear

Mastering advice

Hi,

I've been working on a record which is just instrumental/soundtracks (it's a concept kind of thing) and all of the songs on it vary in style, for example some are mainly an acoustic guitar with a few pads or strings, others more electronic with a lot of synths and heavy drums and others more orchestral and one is literally just a piano so I expect that one to be A LOT quieter than the rest of them.

I've never really gotten to the point of mastering before and it terrifies me

So, would I master each track separately and then put them all together in a new Logic file and then do a final mastering thing? Or do I just put them all together and THEN master the entire thing as a whole? Since I'm guessing I should aim for the same kind of volume for each track.

Thanks for any tips
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

This is the audio post for motion picture forum. GS has a mastering forum, maybe move your post there?
Old 11th June 2018
Old 11th June 2018
Mastering Moderator

I would open a new Logic session and have all the mixes pre sequenced there so you can evaluate different levels and if needed any processing needed.
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Nut

I just wrote this answer for another guy.

The logic in mastering is to bring every sonic quality of a song up to commercial radio standards. Whether it's one song or 50 in a project, the goal remains the same.

On a song by song basis, I listen to each song and bring it to the proper compression level, bass level and boominess, etc. compared to a set commercial radio standard. Once I do that, all the songs match. I don't even have to listen to the songs back to back. They're perfectly consistent. But then again i have mastered over 40,000 songs.

This is like if you gave me 20 pieces of wood sized 3-4 feet and said you want them all 2 feet. I will cut one by one exactly 2 feet and give you back the entire stack perfectly the same size. I don't have to cut them all at one, I could cut one piece every hour, regardless they will all be the same.

But you CANNOT do this using templates or by compressing or mastering all the songs on a CD together at the same time. It will not work. All mixes are different, even if its +1/-1 db in a couple areas.

This is why auto mastering like LANDR will never work. It can't match an industry standard from song to song and make an entire CD consistent.

If mastering terrifies you, at the very least get my best selling audio mastering $6.95 ebook from amazon. It took me 1 year to write and after reading it you will know 100% how to master your songs.

I wish you the very best with your music!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search