The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What should my output/master chain look like? Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos Siopis View Post
it 's something that becomes instinctive after many hours of practise in front of a trusted sound system in a good room
I'm with you. Definitely going to take this concept in to consideration!
Old 3rd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenversWorld View Post
Thanks so much! I think that this is the inoformation I have been lacking Makes perfect sense, although I wouldn't have a clue how to EQ a track in order to have it come across as louder haha! Thanks man
Research the equal loudness curves and think about applying them (or inversely) to processes such as EQ, dynamic EQ, compressors, and multi-band compressors etc., based upon the most likely playback scenarios.
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

The way this thread went made me feel a bit nostalgic...

Quote:
It's just that even still, I couldn't see a limiter making my music as loud as what I hear on the radio... Are there some limiters that most definitely do make mixes super loud and clean or is there more to it than that?
Be aware that radio stations add a lot of additional processing that increases loudness further. So do yourself a favour and compare your results with other masters rather than the radio.

Each mix has an inherent 'loudness potential.' If it is well balanced and controlled it will fight the limiter less. Good source recordings and arrangement contribute to this as well. There are many, many, many threads on how to achieve loud masters in the mastering forum. You will have some fun going down that rabbit hole!

As for limiter suggestions, I use and recommend: DMG Limitless, FabFilter Pro-L 2, Voxengo Elephant. TDR Limiter 6 GE is worth a look and its manual will help you to understand how to use multple processors together. The original VladG Limiter No.6 is free and can produce good results as well.

Placing a clipper before the limiter can be a good way to get a few more dBs and mantain punch. Just listen out for distortion!
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Can I also say that I think TDR Nova is an amazingly versatile tool if you're starting out with mastering.

Parallel equalisation for smooth tone shaping. Can be used as a full band comp. And of course dynamic EQ which can be used for all sorts of things, including de-essing and controlling lows.

And that's just the beginning. The way you can use the EQ to shape the response of the compressor is genius! Well worth a look.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmar View Post
"The main tool is a full range monitoring system in a tuned room... otherwise you have no idea of what really going on in the frequency spectrum... you’re guessing."

Don't listen to this - it's overrated and you'll do just fine. (You do want full range observation though - speaker capability.)

If you want to cut to the chase try a program called ClipShifter on your master. You won't get the exact sounds that would come out of Sterling Sound mastering but you can get some extremely good results.
No... Don’t listen to you. You have no idea what your low end is doing or your highs without full range system in a tuned room. I love how you think... another know it all special snow flake.

If you listen to this guy you’ll never learn a thing, just put band aides all over your mix and you’ll be fine. Yeah right.

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
No... Don’t listen to you. You have no idea what your low end is doing or your highs without full range system in a tuned room. I love how you think... another know it all special snow flake.

If you listen to this guy you’ll never learn a thing, just put band aides all over your mix and you’ll be fine. Yeah right.

Ignorance is bliss.
Headphones are surely reliant in this case? I mean, it takes the necessity of having a tuned room out etc, no? Decent headphones of course
Old 5th March 2018
The consensus is that headphones are only great for making sure that things sound good in headphones.
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Great meaningful thread!

The radio comment of SmoothTone rings a bell. Many radio stations, heck possibly all, have a special system that is not controlled by themselves iirc. Its a set system for all radio stations that limit/compresses the hell out.of the audio. Its what I've heard from my cousin (he is a musician/mix enthousiast and often at radio stations). Can't check facts nevertheless but was an interesting story nevertheless.

I want to do some mastering at home as well. Not in the sense of professional mastering obviously, and just for my own recordings. Room is always super important. What are the minimal dimensions (in meters, lol). I am still quite afraid that a room of 3,5 by 5 meters will not cut it (not taking acoustic panels into account yet). For me, important is to be able to do it 'decent enough', not great. Taking into account i need to learn from scratch too ;-)

Is this silly of me to think I can do that?
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk View Post
I am still quite afraid that a room of 3,5 by 5 meters will not cut it
Hey man, my studio is around this size, used it for 5 years now and it sounds as good as the bigger studio's I've been too. Imo, the key would be to assure that your monitors aren't too big for the room, assure that they're not too over powering. That being said, I'm using a pair of Rokit 6's, not too big, not too small. Bass traps and acoustic foam will be vital too!
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hey man, my studio is around this size, used it for 5 years now and it sounds as good as the bigger studio's I've been too. Imo, the key would be to assure that your monitors aren't too big for the room, assure that they're not too over powering. That being said, I'm using a pair of Rokit 6's, not too big, not too small. Bass traps and acoustic foam will be vital too!
Nice.

I have the Dynaudio BM12a mkiii. I suspect they might be... Too much? (8" woofer). I am gonna move houses, so no guarantee the room will be bigger or smaller.
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Nut

Not too familiar with those but I think that your common sense will tell you, if they look too intimidating in comparison to the environment then yeah they probably will be too much, haha!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search