The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is on your mastering chain? DAW Software
Old 28th November 2017
Here for the gear

What is on your mastering chain?

I mix and master my music solely on Ableton though I am also a Logic user and recently purchased pro-tools. I noticed that when bouncing out mixes from all three DAWs, Logic seems to come out crisp but also hushed and low volume, while Ableton can either be ear shatteringly loud or dynamically flawed. However, tracks bounced out of Pro-Tools even without ANY plug-ins always sounds the best. Perfectly centered, rounded, perfectly loud without murdering your ears.

I don't think I have the mental capacity to re-learn mastering on Pro-Tools and Logic so would like to know what are your go-to mastering plug-ins for ideal commercial sound and at what volume should your mix be at before you begin mastering? (I know the general rule is -6db or lower). Even at -6db, my mixes ob Ableton still come out extremely low or blown out. My mastering rack comprises of:

SSL Comp or Ableton's built in Glue Compressor
Pro-L or Waves L2

How does one get a sound like pro-tools off of Ableton??
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear
I think more information and context is needed here.

Like what settings are you bouncing with (there are a lot of variables)? Your description sounds a bit intense - the difference between your bounces should not be that pronounced.

I honestly do not believe that the DAW has much to do with the quality of a 2 track bounce, if all is equal.

The loudness thing is seeming like it's more about dynamics than it is about the actual level. If you have no dynamics, it really does not matter what level you come in at.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I honestly do not believe that the DAW has much to do with the quality of a 2 track bounce
1000% CORRECT, a DAW doesn't effect soundT. here is no sound difference between exported audio from Pro tools or Cubase or Sonar or any other program.

Quote:
I don't think I have the mental capacity to re-learn mastering on Pro-Tools and Logic
There is nothnig to Re-Learn. Mastering is the same no matter what DAW you use.

Quote:
mastering plug-ins for ideal commercial sound
Every song will need different plugins and settings. Ive never used the same exact mastering chain and settings for over 3,000 songs (prob higher).

Mastering is not a one setting fits all. So asking what to use to get a commercial sound just depends on every song. Each song will need different things.

The best thing for you is to learn the tools you have and then apply those to each mix by having your ears tell you what plugin to use and at what settings.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

The truth is you could produce, mix and master to a commercial standard using only stock plugins in most DAWs. Plugin companies don't want you to think that, though!
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
The truth is you could produce, mix and master to a commercial standard using only stock plugins in most DAWs. Plugin companies don't want you to think that, though!
F--g AMEN!!! Its no the tools that make great sounding songs. Its knowledge and how you use the tools.
Old 2nd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
The truth is you could produce, mix and master to a commercial standard using only stock plugins in most DAWs.
the inventor of the truth is a liar. (Heinz von Foerster)
I'm always very skeptical when someone leases the truth...
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search