The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering A Song In 5 Minutes Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd August 2017
Here for the gear

Mastering A Song In 5 Minutes

Yo,

I started a new video tutorial series named "Under 5" where I'll be showing cool tips & tricks in a short amount of time.

My first video is about mastering, so I thought this would be the ideal place to get some feedback. What I'm looking to find out is if this is actually helpful for other engineers. Here are a few questions for you after you've watched the video.

This didn't actually take less than 5 minutes to do. After listening in multiple environments & making tweaks this is what I ended up with. I made this video to show you what plugins I used, and how I used them, in 5 minutes.

1. What did you think of the results?

2. Would you try this for yourself?

3. What would you do differently?

This video is aimed towards engineers with a home studio and limited resources, or maybe a self-produced singer-songwriter that would like a "finished" sound to their track.
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX3Music View Post
Spend more than 5 minutes?
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=CX3
3. What would you do differently?[/QUOTE]

I didn't watch the video, but assuming the song is more than say 3 minutes, this wouldn't work for me.

I always do a close headphone listen and remove any clicks/crackles/ticks/pops and other anomalies that are often found in mixes, even from some of the best (and definitely from amateur/home engineers). These things be it mouth clicks, lip smacks, and other noises tend to creep out and be more present after the mastering process makes the material ideally more clear/focused and the average loudness is raised.

So aside from printing real-time though analog gear which I do on some projects but not all, and giving a thorough scan by listening closely on headphones for issues, each process alone takes as long as the song is.

Also, what about sequencing a project that is more than one song long?

This isn't really mastering, it's stereo bus processing.
Old 23rd August 2017
Don't take me wrong but I'm not sure this video is a good idea.
To me, it feels like another "I put 8 plugins in a row and call it mastering" video and it really doesn't show what we actually do (especially when the work could have been done with 2/3 plugins max)

The purpose of 5 minutes video could be to give simple and fast key tricks to people so they would be able to do simple and "healthy" way to push their mixes for client approuval for example.
Instead of that, it's just a slideshow of blockbuster plugins not really suitable for mastering (you can use whatever you want as long as it works for you but if you start to listen carefully on a good monitoring system you're gonna bypass a lot of those babies)

Why don't we see mastering tutorial on youtube with guys using only an eq and clipper/limiter ???
Or even a guy listening the song and saying "wow the mix is great, let's leave it this way it doesn't need anything".

And Come on !! Waves SSL comp, Waves Puigchild, Ozone !! what a cliché ??
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear
Without even watching the video I can tell you're not actually mastering an album but doing post-production on a single.
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
Why don't we see mastering tutorial on youtube with guys using only an eq and clipper/limiter ???
Or even a guy listening the song and saying "wow the mix is great, let's leave it this way it doesn't need anything"??
Because since about 2005 most mastering engineers aren't engineers nor are they creating master source files/tapes/records haha
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yo,

I started a new video tutorial series named "Under 5" where I'll be showing cool tips & tricks in a short amount of time.

My first video is about mastering, so I thought this would be the ideal place to get some feedback. What I'm looking to find out is if this is actually helpful for other engineers. Here are a few questions for you after you've watched the video.

1. I honestly don't know what to think of the results. It sounds good most of the time, with or without each processing step.
2. No.
3. If I were you, and I wanted to make some money with this sort of thing, there are so many elements that are good. You have a very relaxed, professional and convincing voice. You explain what you are doing simply and clearly. There is an avenue for sucess somewhere here. As a mastering engineer, I'm a little offended by the "five minute" concept, but I see endless applications. "Solving racism in five minutes" would get a lot of internet hits. Seriously, though, you have skills.
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Hi I listened to the video and can offer some comments.

Firstly, less is more. You are doubling up with 2 SSL compressors and also 2 low high EQs. You are better off with 1 of each.

The spreader sounds overdone and has saturated the reverb. Sounded better without this effect.

The other aspect is that you are boosting frequencies such as the low end and the top end (twice), then having to control those frequencies with a final EQ and multiband compressor. You would be better off without the boosts before the mulitband as it's just pulling them back in. The bass is also overblown and quite undefined compared to the un mastered.

Lastly, when doing these videos, you need to level match. Ozone 7 has the "ear" button on the output to do this. Otherwise you are not making a direct comparison and no one can tell if the processing is better or worse.

Without a calibrated room and speakers, this isn't mastering. It's just buss processing. In mastering less is more, but you need the correct room and monitoring to know what to do. You may have this already, it is important to explain to beginners. When I do a mastering presentation I always stress that when mastering you are paying for the room, speakers and engineering experience. It's not a chain of processors- very often it's a QC process, and if the mix is right, you don't need to radically change it. Even more importantly the mastering engineer should listen to the entire song to get a feel for it before jumping into further processing.
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

I appreciate the feedback!

Let me clarify. It took me quite a bit longer than 5 minutes to do this. I listened in multiple environments and on systems I trust. The idea was to explain what I did in 5 minutes.

I do agree that this is more of a stereo buss processing video than an actual mastering video, but it is aimed towards engineers with home studios and limited resources. I wouldn't expect a true mastering engineer to go this route, but I believe an engineer with limited resources or a self-produced singer songwriter could benefit from this.
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Hi I listened to the video and can offer some comments.

Firstly, less is more. You are doubling up with 2 SSL compressors and also 2 low high EQs. You are better off with 1 of each.

The spreader sounds overdone and has saturated the reverb. Sounded better without this effect.

The other aspect is that you are boosting frequencies such as the low end and the top end (twice), then having to control those frequencies with a final EQ and multiband compressor. You would be better off without the boosts before the mulitband as it's just pulling them back in. The bass is also overblown and quite undefined compared to the un mastered.

Lastly, when doing these videos, you need to level match. Ozone 7 has the "ear" button on the output to do this. Otherwise you are not making a direct comparison and no one can tell if the processing is better or worse.

Without a calibrated room and speakers, this isn't mastering. It's just buss processing. In mastering less is more, but you need the correct room and monitoring to know what to do. You may have this already, it is important to explain to beginners. When I do a mastering presentation I always stress that when mastering you are paying for the room, speakers and engineering experience. It's not a chain of processors- very often it's a QC process, and if the mix is right, you don't need to radically change it. Even more importantly the mastering engineer should listen to the entire song to get a feel for it before jumping into further processing.
Thanks for this. Some great tips here that I'll definitely take into account! My room is far from sonically perfect, but I've learned how my mixes react in other environments that I trust. I'm also far from a true mastering engineer. I engineered, produced and mixed this song. The client loved what I did there and insisted that I mastered it. I'm happy with the result, but a true mastering engineer with fresh ears on the song would have been a great benefit.

My reasoning for double dipping on EQ was to get the sound of the specific EQ. The CS-Lift & Pulteq seem to add a little more than Ozone. Not saying I'm right, that's just what I thought
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
1. I honestly don't know what to think of the results. It sounds good most of the time, with or without each processing step.
2. No.
3. If I were you, and I wanted to make some money with this sort of thing, there are so many elements that are good. You have a very relaxed, professional and convincing voice. You explain what you are doing simply and clearly. There is an avenue for sucess somewhere here. As a mastering engineer, I'm a little offended by the "five minute" concept, but I see endless applications. "Solving racism in five minutes" would get a lot of internet hits. Seriously, though, you have skills.
I appreciate that! Mastering isn't my ballpark, and I'd never call myself a true mastering engineer. I engineered, produced and mixed this song as well. The goal for this song, and others we're working on, is sync-licensing. We just wanted a great sounding, releasable product. I love the results, but I'm also the one who did it

An actual mastering engineer with fresh ears on the song would have been great. If it makes you feel better, it took me much longer than 5 minutes to finalize what I did here. I just wanted to explain it in 5 minutes.
Old 23rd August 2017
Quote:
Let me clarify. It took me quite a bit longer than 5 minutes to do this. I listened in multiple environments and on systems I trust. The idea was to explain what I did in 5 minutes.

I do agree that this is more of a stereo buss processing video than an actual mastering video, but it is aimed towards engineers with home studios and limited resources. I wouldn't expect a true mastering engineer to go this route, but I believe an engineer with limited resources or a self-produced singer songwriter could benefit from this.
Hi, my 2c worth: adding the above to the blurb/description will add clarity more so than any processing in this case.
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Hi, my 2c worth: adding the above to the blurb/description will add clarity more so than any processing in this case.
Done... Thanks. Seeing that you have been a professional mastering engineer for 22 years I'd like to know how you think the final product sounds. Before I explain what I did here, I showed a snippet of the chorus. What did you think, and what would you change?

I posted this here to get feedback and learn, not to show anybody what to do.
Old 23rd August 2017
7+1
Lives for gear

my 2 cents..

In Mastering..... LESS is always better.
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yo,

This didn't actually take less than 5 minutes to do. After listening in multiple environments & making tweaks this is what I ended up with. I made this video to show you what I used, and how I used them, in 5 minutes.

This video is aimed towards engineers with a home studio and limited resources, or maybe a self-produced singer-songwriter that would like a "finished" sound to their track.
Oh, well hello there! Ima make some popcorn! Please continue....
Old 23rd August 2017
why 5 minutes, what's the hurry(?)

good, cheap, fast... pick any two, to the exclusion of the third.

i usually take 30 min to an hour to do a single.

just sayin'

jt
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

is it a sport now?
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
why 5 minutes, what's the hurry(?)

good, cheap, fast... pick any two, to the exclusion of the third.

i usually take 30 min to an hour to do a single.

just sayin'

jt
If you watched the video, or read the description, I said that it did take longer than 5 minutes to actually do it. I was only explaining what I did in 5 minutes. The goal for the under 5 series is to show viewers cool tips & tricks without taking much of their time. I can't stand watching 20 minute tutorials that could have easily been 4-5 minutes long because the person just rambles on...
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andredb View Post
is it a sport now?
Nope. Just an informative & straight to the point tutorial.
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Oh, well hello there! Ima make some popcorn! Please continue....
Hope you enjoyed the video and your popcorn
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Spend more than 5 minutes?
Well, if you listened to the first 30 seconds of the video, I stated that it did take longer than 5 minutes. I was only showing what plugins I used, and how I used them, in 5 minutes.
Old 23rd August 2017
Quote:
If you watched the video, or read the description, I said that it did take longer than 5 minutes to actually do it. I was only explaining what I did in 5 minutes. The goal for the under 5 series is to show viewers cool tips & tricks without taking much of their time. I can't stand watching 20 minute tutorials that could have easily been 4-5 minutes long because the person just rambles on...
oh! then say so in the title :~)>

jt
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Head

Hi Colton,

I want to encourage you to continue, but here are some no holds barred criticisms for your consideration.

First, I think that you need to consider how people listen to YouTube videos. Many people listen on mobile devices using earbuds or headphones. Many desktop users also listen with headphones. In this case, I consider myself lucky that I wasn't. I happened to be listening via Focal Solo6 Be monitors at enough volume to hear your voice comfortably. When the music started, I grabbed the gain knob on my interface and immediately turned it down. The music was ridiculously loud compared to your voice. If I had been wearing earbuds or headphones, I would have been mad as hell. It is really important that you avoid level changes of this magnitude in future videos. For this video, I'd suggest that you warn people about the level change at the beginning of the YouTube description section.

Secondly, it jumped out at me that someone teaching audio is not fixing problems with his narration. For example, there are obvious issues with plosives. I guess that it isn't essential that you address this, but I found it amusing, and it left me with the impression that you just don't give a damn.

Thirdly, there is a basic problem with YouTube videos that are supposed to show subtle differences in audio. Between the maker's upload settings and YouTube's own processing, it is pretty impossible to tell what the maker has done to the audio, assuming that changes are even discernible.

Finally, all you can show in five minutes is what tools you used, accompanied by the briefest of explanations. I'm not convinced that people get anything out of this kind of presentation. One of the better YouTube channels for audio tutorials is MusicTechHelpGuy. His strength is that he is thorough and takes as long as is needed to explain and demonstrate what he is teaching. You might check him out at https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTechHelpGuy

Keep at it, but please address your levels and maybe think about your format.
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredge View Post
Hi Colton,

I want to encourage you to continue, but here are some no holds barred criticisms for your consideration.

First, I think that you need to consider how people listen to YouTube videos. Many people listen on mobile devices using earbuds or headphones. Many desktop users also listen with headphones. In this case, I consider myself lucky that I wasn't. I happened to be listening via Focal Solo6 Be monitors at enough volume to hear your voice comfortably. When the music started, I grabbed the gain knob on my interface and immediately turned it down. The music was ridiculously loud compared to your voice. If I had been wearing earbuds or headphones, I would have been mad as hell. It is really important that you avoid level changes of this magnitude in future videos. For this video, I'd suggest that you warn people about the level change at the beginning of the YouTube description section.

Secondly, it jumped out at me that someone teaching audio is not fixing problems with his narration. For example, there are obvious issues with plosives. I guess that it isn't essential that you address this, but I found it amusing, and it left me with the impression that you just don't give a damn.

Thirdly, there is a basic problem with YouTube videos that are supposed to show subtle differences in audio. Between the maker's upload settings and YouTube's own processing, it is pretty impossible to tell what the maker has done to the audio, assuming that changes are even discernible.

Finally, all you can show in five minutes is what tools you used, accompanied by the briefest of explanations. I'm not convinced that people get anything out of this kind of presentation. One of the better YouTube channels for audio tutorials is MusicTechHelpGuy. His strength is that he is thorough and takes as long as is needed to explain and demonstrate what he is teaching. You might check him out at https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTechHelpGuy

Keep at it, but please address your levels and maybe think about your format.
Thank you! I really appreciate you taking your time to thoroughly listen and give great feedback. I'll definitely pay more attention to everything you mentioned. Also, I just subscribed to him and will check out some of his videos.
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, if you listened to the first 30 seconds of the video, I stated that it did take longer than 5 minutes. I was only showing what plugins I used, and how I used them, in 5 minutes.
I apologise for any offence. I was just making a point and making a joke at the same time... mostly on me because I'm quite slow when I work.
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Head

Hi Colton,

Thanks for taking my comments positively.

While I was looking at your channel, I noticed from your streaming videos that you are fairly young. Yesterday, I came across a guy from Scotland who appears to be about your age, who is also doing audio tutorials, and who may interest you. His channel is called In The Mix: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIc...o6lq-iWKV40Oug

On a different level, you might also find it useful to check out Manchester Music from Toronto, who you will also hear in all of the recent iZotope instructional videos and many of iZotope's recent interview videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1H...9PHoF_Xca0lg9Q
Old 29th August 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks dude

- GM
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

This is CLICKBAIT, not mastering.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search