Sonar 8.5 or Adobe Audition cs5 (Mixing & Mastering)
Old 20th February 2012
Gear interested

Sonar 8.5 or Adobe Audition cs5 (Mixing & Mastering)

Hi dear Guys
I have an important question , I want to know which DAW is perfect for mixing and mastering (I'm talking about export quality)
Is there any difference?

I was working with Adobe Audition (Cool Edit in past) since 5-6 years and somebody told me that sonar is better.So I switched to sonar 8.5 but I'm not good enough in it. I want to know if audition cs5 and sonar 8.5 are the same in mixing and mastering (about export quality) I switch back to sonar.

What do you say????
Old 5th February 2015
The export quality is always the same depending on your export SETTINGS,
for instance, if you export a mixdown from Audition at 24bit, 44khz, in Stereo
and you export from Cubase at the same exact settings, the quality will be the same.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

I beg to differ. The DSP in Cool Edit is notably better than Cubase, though I don't know about Sonar. There's more to processing than the resolution. I did an objective study on low-end audio softare a few years ago.

That said, neither programs are particularly good for mastering. Multitrack programs aren't the optimal platform for something best done with mastering software.
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
I beg to differ. The DSP in Cool Edit is notably better than Cubase, though I don't know about Sonar. There's more to processing than the resolution. I did an objective study on low-end audio softare a few years ago.

That said, neither programs are particularly good for mastering. Multitrack programs aren't the optimal platform for something best done with mastering software.
What about Pro Tools?
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanWave View Post
What about Pro Tools?
It depends. The compressor in Cool Edit was always very bad, so PT has it beat there. CEP's EQ and levels are quite good, as are the convolution reverbs. There's also a huge difference between PTle and the versions the pros use. PT is certainly easier to use, though I don't like the fact that it renders in real time only.
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
It depends. The compressor in Cool Edit was always very bad, so PT has it beat there. CEP's EQ and levels are quite good, as are the convolution reverbs. There's also a huge difference between PTle and the versions the pros use. PT is certainly easier to use, though I don't like the fact that it renders in real time only.
Hey thanks dude!

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search