The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blackbox HG-2 plugin
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Head

Blackbox HG-2 plugin

First let me say that I TRY to master my music and I'm in no way a Pro, although I've been working at it for some years now.

Long story short , I demoed the new blackbox HG-2 plugin and it's amazing (I'll have to save for a hardware unit). I know it was designed for the mixbuss , but people have used it in many ways. I was put on to it from a guy whom uses it for mastering. So I've been working it into my mastering chain , and I wanted to know where in the mastering chain some of you use the HG-2 (plugin or hardware)?

As of now my mastering chain (all ITB) is
1.) high pass & Low pass EQ.
2.) compression
3.) character EQ
4.) stereo imager (ozone)
5.) Limiter

I've been putting the HG-2 right after the first EQ (Before the compression). The gentlemen at blackbox said it works better on dynamic material. But I've heard some people on videos say they use it right before the limiter (2nd to last plugin).

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Any halfway-real mastering engineer would uninstall this plugin after listening to it for 5 seconds. Maybe the "mastering for beginners" forum?
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Nut

Why? I haven't tried the plug in yet, but I have the real deal in my chain (in the parallel bus) and I really like it for some invisible weight and presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubbaDub View Post
Any halfway-real mastering engineer would uninstall this plugin after listening to it for 5 seconds. Maybe the "mastering for beginners" forum?
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Mastering View Post
Why? I haven't tried the plug in yet, but I have the real deal in my chain (in the parallel bus) and I really like it for some invisible weight and presence
The plugin is nowhere close to mastering-level quality. Wouldn't use it to mix anything that mattered either.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

It didn't really do much for me either. I was bewildered by all the praise. It was the kind of plug that I find kind of interesting at first, but then never use down the line. But it does appear to work for a lot of people.
L.
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubbaDub View Post
The plugin is nowhere close to mastering-level quality. Wouldn't use it to mix anything that mattered either.
What's "mastering-level quality" for you? where is this plug in failing?
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Head

I always bite my tounge on here , but man go ahead with the slick replys. You don't like the plugin then don't comment. I didnt ask if anyone likes it, I asked where people use it in their "mastering chain"!? I never understood people like you; jumping into a topic with no intentions to provide answers to questions , but rather make it about their opinions ... Smh

Whoever is running this forum can delete this thread because I can see where this is going.
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
What's "mastering-level quality" for you? where is this plug in failing?
Sounds thin/artificial.
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave. View Post
I always bite my tounge on here , but man go ahead with the slick replys. You don't like the plugin then don't comment. I didnt ask if anyone likes it, I asked where people use it in their "mastering chain"!? I never understood people like you; jumping into a topic with no intentions to provide answers to questions , but rather make it about their opinions ... Smh

Whoever is running this forum can delete this thread because I can see where this is going.
You posted in the pro mastering section about a tool that is in no way qualified to do that. I was just suggesting the thread be moved somewhere where hopefully fewer people see it and fall for the hyped plugin of the week.
Old 13th February 2017
Mastering Moderator

Please keep on topic.
Users (and therefore those who like it) can comment on how they use it in their chains.
Let's keep it clean and civil, respecting everybody's opinion.
Cheers!
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
First let me say that I TRY to master my music and I'm in no way a Pro, although I've been working at it for some years now.

Long story short , I demoed the new blackbox HG-2 plugin and it's amazing (I'll have to save for a hardware unit). I know it was designed for the mixbuss , but people have used it in many ways. I was put on to it from a guy whom uses it for mastering. So I've been working it into my mastering chain , and I wanted to know where in the mastering chain some of you use the HG-2 (plugin or hardware)?

As of now my mastering chain (all ITB) is
1.) high pass & Low pass EQ.
2.) compression
3.) character EQ
4.) stereo imager (ozone)
5.) Limiter

I've been putting the HG-2 right after the first EQ (Before the compression). The gentlemen at blackbox said it works better on dynamic material. But I've heard some people on videos say they use it right before the limiter (2nd to last plugin).

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.
Hi Ave, I know you are looking for advice from mastering engineers specifically but I figured I would chime in the try and help you figure out the best place for it in your chain.

An easy way to figure out a good starting point is simply to decide what you want out of it. Generally speaking, the more heavy lifting you want it to do, the earlier you will want to put it in your chain.

You have probably noticed that with it before your compressor, you can back off how much compression you need which can be a great thing. On the other hand, if you specifically want the characteristics of the attack and release from the compressor, you might want to put the HG-2 after the compressor and have it do less work.

There is no right or wrong place to put it of course so experiment but hopefully that gives you a good starting point.

Also, keep in mind that the "density" control is an extremely powerful and important control on it. it essentially sets the saturation point / headroom of the Pentode and Triode stages so it sets the dynamic response of the whole unit. Want more compression and saturation, turn it up. Want more dynamics, turn it down and your transients start to come back.

I hope that's helpful and please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:

Don't let it bother you. He's just trolling. He was bashing the hardware even after admitting that he had never used it and has been bashing the plugin even though he hasn't used it. No idea what his motive is but he's probably just bored. I even offered to come to his studio and demo it for him but he declined. People find strange ways to waste time.

Onwards and upwards.
Old 16th February 2017
7+1
Lives for gear

nice info here..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search