The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

Onyx 400F Studio Recording Preamp with 192kHz FireWire I/O is the pre-eminent professional choice. Jointly developed by the analog engineering experts at Mackie and the digital gurus at Echo, the 400F brings superior sound, robust construction, and several 'world's first' features to those looking to record to Mac or PC. And it comes bundled with Mackie's popular Tracktion 2 software for easy recording right out of the box.THE BASICSThe Onyx 400F is a 10-channel premium mic preamp and FireWire audio interface featuring four boutique-quality Onyx mic preamps. These highly acclaimed preamps offer superior headroom, sonic detail, and clarity vs. the competition-delivering 123dB dynamic range and an amazing .0007% THD-and a sound that has been widely praised as exceptionally 'open' and 'revealing.' The Onyx 400F also offers TRS inserts for inserting your favorite outboard gear into your signal path before sending it to your Mac or PC, plus an internal 10 x 10 DSP Matrix Mixer with full recall and 64-bit floating point processing-a feature not found on any other FireWire interface, at any price.With four Onyx mic preamps and four line inputs, the 400F is the ideal box for tracking anything from smaller overdub-style projects to a full band.

Discussions

Which Firewire interface has the best converters?

I was thinking that very thing! Actually that would start another thread, of who is making the better DAC? LOL!!!! It never ends! Actually, I wonder how the Apogee Mini Dac compares to the Benchmark? The Audiophiles really love the Mini DAC, from what I've read.

View Post

RME Fireface 400 vs. FMR RNP & standard interface

...solution for acoustic guitars and vocals. I came from using Motu gear. Recently owned TC's K24D. Tried a Mackie 400f. Gave up and started looking again. Eventually, it came down to the RME FF400 and MH ULN-2. After checking them out I went with the ULN-2. Don't know if the I/O works for...

View Post

Calibration question (general, for analog synths)

...all modern voltmeters would necessarily be suitable; you'd need one that is accurate for the frequency being measured. The 400F apparently was usable from 20 Hz to 4 MHz; many (particularly less expensive/less well specified) multimeters are mainly suited for AC voltage measurements in the general vicinity of 60 Hz. If the...

View Post