The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I hate writing lyrics, how can I get this task done quicker and with more ease?
Old 27th May 2017
Here for the gear

You are glued to the belief that the melody you hear in your head is perfect. When you can't find words that fit perfectly you think the melody has been ruined. Any lyric will change the melody that inspired it.
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Guru

I feel your pain, OP.

Not because I hate writing lyrics - I love it - but because I almost always start songs off with a phrase or a fragment where the words and music "arrive" together.

But just recently, I was showing this indie Nashville artist a song I co-wrote a long time ago for a theatrical musical. Someone else wrote the lyrics, I wrote the tune, and the business deal collapsed before anything came of it. He said, "finish that thing with your own words and I'll cut it." So I did, but it was a struggle. And I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with it.

On top of that, the guy swears he loves it and he's still going to cut it, but I have my doubts.
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Guru
When I want to write a country song I go to the Moan Zone.....
Old 10th November 2018
Here for the gear

Struggling with lyric writing is for sure something I relate to. Maybe we fear it a bit because, if only we had words then the song would be *gasp* finished! Scary thought...No need to get all deep though. What makes this process way less painful, for ME, is actually caring about something and wanting to speak truth about it. Just focus on that...your life, the people in it, the places you've been, the stuff you've learned. You should be filling up notebooks with this stuff. You don't need a synthesizer or a DAW for that. It requires you getting quiet, both internally and physically, and creating a safe space in which you are free to just be you and write, whether it's great or it's complete ****. And stay in that space a little while every day, and try your hardest to fall in love with this process. Good things will come 8)
Old 21st November 2019
Gear Addict
for me it's a first line, or stanza, thing, once I find the opening words it's just a matter telling the story.
But here's the rub the fist line must fit perfectly.

Famous example:

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven

or one of mine

When they got me from the pound
the vet said I wouldn't walk for long
my legs are not what they should be
Old 21st November 2019
Gear Guru

I’m not really great at lyric writing, so take this with a grain of salt. Whenever I have to write lyrics I use Hey Jude and alter the words enough so they fit the melody. Then I just substitute the other words. Voila!
Old 21st November 2019
Gear Addict
Funny.
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
for me it's a first line, or stanza, thing, once I find the opening words it's just a matter telling the story.
But here's the rub the fist line must fit perfectly.
Well, I have the opening words, I have the perfect line. Now I have to form on three more lines to fill my song to be rounded up nicely. That's hell on earth.

The topic opener from 2015 is now hopefully skilled and found his personal approach.

I tried
- conversation with another character in my mind
- writing down sentences in a notebook whole day
- doing nothing
- doing sth else
- in the mountains at a lake with notebook
- in front of the mic, improvising (I could die)

Mostly we all are kind of perfectionists. I know there is THE lyric for my song. For one song I could proof it already. For that successful ones I needed 3 years changing words, changing phrases every month. Listeners want to have a 2nd song now that continues the story. That's a good feeling for sure, that's a panic reaction for sure: I will never repeat that again aaaaah...
And they tell me about "goosebumps" while listening. That helps me sh*** with my actual project.

A noteworthy side-problem is self-consciousness and a joy in my own voice. I am a singer, 10 years, but never real solo singer. First years I hated my own single voice, I was ashamed for. many tell the same story: first you hate your voice, you practice a lot (as with writing), you get used to, you get the full potential out of it. Actually my idea is to give what I have to someone on soundbetter to write it, then I will get material in return which I then can re-write again and again. The good thing is: this process is a working process and not a "sitting around and get crazy cause my pen is writing nothing" situation ;-)

It's good to have this post and this forum to share, thanks to the opener and to all who answered, I appreciate it. :-)

... and let me add this: What we are struggling with will (or might be) the joy of all of our listeners. They enjoy it, because good lyrics are not that normal. Good lyrics takes the listeners out of their life, their circumstances, lyrics helps them to relax or to jump in another role for short amount of time. Maybe they think a lot about your lyrics and helps them to change sth for the good in their life. Also, if it would be soooo easy to write, we might have waaaaay more songs with good lyrics than listeners on earth, right? hahaha, so let's go through this ***rrrrr***rrrrsz
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Hannes View Post
Well, I have the opening words, I have the perfect line. Now I have to form on three more lines to fill my song to be rounded up nicely. That's hell on earth.

The topic opener from 2015 is now hopefully skilled and found his personal approach.

I tried
- conversation with another character in my mind
- writing down sentences in a notebook whole day
- doing nothing
- doing sth else
- in the mountains at a lake with notebook
- in front of the mic, improvising (I could die)

Mostly we all are kind of perfectionists. I know there is THE lyric for my song. For one song I could proof it already. For that successful ones I needed 3 years changing words, changing phrases every month. Listeners want to have a 2nd song now that continues the story. That's a good feeling for sure, that's a panic reaction for sure: I will never repeat that again aaaaah...
And they tell me about "goosebumps" while listening. That helps me sh*** with my actual project.

A noteworthy side-problem is self-consciousness and a joy in my own voice. I am a singer, 10 years, but never real solo singer. First years I hated my own single voice, I was ashamed for. many tell the same story: first you hate your voice, you practice a lot (as with writing), you get used to, you get the full potential out of it. Actually my idea is to give what I have to someone on soundbetter to write it, then I will get material in return which I then can re-write again and again. The good thing is: this process is a working process and not a "sitting around and get crazy cause my pen is writing nothing" situation ;-)

It's good to have this post and this forum to share, thanks to the opener and to all who answered, I appreciate it. :-)

... and let me add this: What we are struggling with will (or might be) the joy of all of our listeners. They enjoy it, because good lyrics are not that normal. Good lyrics takes the listeners out of their life, their circumstances, lyrics helps them to relax or to jump in another role for short amount of time. Maybe they think a lot about your lyrics and helps them to change sth for the good in their life. Also, if it would be soooo easy to write, we might have waaaaay more songs with good lyrics than listeners on earth, right? hahaha, so let's go through this ***rrrrr***rrrrsz
I find it baffling that people will go on this kind of sustained enterprise, costing time and effort beyond anything else they've done in constant frustration, and doggedly refuse to do the simple thing that will actually yield results: contact a couple of people who are actually good at lyrics and get them to try some stuff out.
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Nut

Personally I love writing lyrics - but for what it's worth, I always write lyrics separate to the music. I find it much easier to write good lyrics then working with them and merging them with the melody later down the line than to write lyrics to match a set melody from the beginning. I'd get stuck too much on "what fits?" rather than "what's good?" and I don't end up matching the standards I've set for myself.

If you completely hate doing it, then I'd agree with the others in this thread that finding a lyricist who clicks with you may be the way forward. Like any other skill involved in any art form, it takes practice - and practicing something you hate over and over will just build a lot of resentment. I will add though if you do look for another lyricist, don't be put off if the first couple of attempts at working with someone else don't work out - you're looking to find someone who clicks well with you, your vibe, your sound and your 'voice', and not every lyricist is going to be on the same wavelength as you. You might come across people who are talented but not a good fit - It's not totally dissimilar to looking for band members in that way ^^
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Nut

I agree and I am looking forward to find out, why an external writer feels uncomfortable. Having some reasons in my mind already, I think in the future looking back I might be able to point on what blocked me today.

Just to clarify: I for myself do not hate to write lyrics. But it's a huge challenge. :-)
Old 6th September 2020
Some things to try maybe....

Loosen your English-only rule. Maybe a mix of languages is cool or translating existing ideas to English might be easier than thinking in english

Write down anything that seems like a line in a song, anytime it springs to mind, and refer back to that stuff when you are struggling

Honestly... Jst give yourself permission to write mediocre lyrics. If it has meter and melody and isnt actively embarrassing, thats ok probably. If the everything else is really great, that's probably enough right there. Most people arent going to notice most of the lyrics.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear