The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I hate writing lyrics, how can I get this task done quicker and with more ease? Studio Headphones
Old 27th May 2017
Here for the gear

You are glued to the belief that the melody you hear in your head is perfect. When you can't find words that fit perfectly you think the melody has been ruined. Any lyric will change the melody that inspired it.
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Guru

I feel your pain, OP.

Not because I hate writing lyrics - I love it - but because I almost always start songs off with a phrase or a fragment where the words and music "arrive" together.

But just recently, I was showing this indie Nashville artist a song I co-wrote a long time ago for a theatrical musical. Someone else wrote the lyrics, I wrote the tune, and the business deal collapsed before anything came of it. He said, "finish that thing with your own words and I'll cut it." So I did, but it was a struggle. And I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with it.

On top of that, the guy swears he loves it and he's still going to cut it, but I have my doubts.
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Guru
When I want to write a country song I go to the Moan Zone.....
Old 10th November 2018
Here for the gear

Struggling with lyric writing is for sure something I relate to. Maybe we fear it a bit because, if only we had words then the song would be *gasp* finished! Scary thought...No need to get all deep though. What makes this process way less painful, for ME, is actually caring about something and wanting to speak truth about it. Just focus on that...your life, the people in it, the places you've been, the stuff you've learned. You should be filling up notebooks with this stuff. You don't need a synthesizer or a DAW for that. It requires you getting quiet, both internally and physically, and creating a safe space in which you are free to just be you and write, whether it's great or it's complete ****. And stay in that space a little while every day, and try your hardest to fall in love with this process. Good things will come 8)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search