The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 29th April 2016
  #2851
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
Thanks Ragan, Just found it. It seems not all of the models are available for sale per ebay. Does he have more direct ?
Yeah, always email Guosheng directly. You'll get a better price and he can tell you exactly what he's got and when things will be done.
Old 29th April 2016
  #2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
Thanks Ragan, Just found it. It seems not all of the models are available for sale per ebay. Does he have more direct ?
Yeah, direct is probably the way to do it, it will be cheaper than eBay. Send him an email, mention this thread and he will let you know what he has available, and he will even give you a recommendation if you tell him what you are looking for..
Old 30th April 2016
  #2853
Gear Nut
I'm really enjoying the MKVID as drum OH, especially on position 2 in cardiod.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2854
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

What do the gz mics offer that the mk series do not?
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2855
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
What do the gz mics offer that the mk series do not?
All GZ have more premium parts used to make them sound even better. The one that possibly sounds most different to any of the mk is possibly (at a guess) the gz47fetV, which is meant to sound vaguely like a M49. The sound clips of that on here been mightly impressive. It is suggested that it sounds a lot more open than the mkV which someone said is like a dark 251.

All this is obviously subjective. I badly want the gz47fetV though.

I guess there is the gz67 too, there is no mk modelled on the u67.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2856
Lives for gear
 

For one the GZs have an American made transformer.

And they come in a hardwood boox with velvet lining.

Oh, and of course GZ stands for Guosheng Zhuang.
So whatever he's done extra, you can count on it he's even more proud of those.

Last edited by legato; 2nd May 2016 at 11:07 AM..
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2857
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Thanks for the replies. Do each of the GZs have an MK that directly corresponds with them ? Has anyone done an A/B of them to tell what the real differences are? I'm doing rock and roll & 70's covers and would like to know more about these mics regarding how they work in a mix and not in a lab setting so much.

It doesn't mean so much to me to compare isolated vocals but much more how they sound in a mix. Hardwood box is nice but not needed here, I keep my mics in zip lock bags. Thanks for any info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
For one the GZs have an American made transformer.

And they come in a hardwood boox with velvet lining.

Oh, and of course GZ stands for Guosheng Zhuang.
So whatever he's done extra, you can count on it he's even more proud of those.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2858
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
I'm doing rock and roll & 70's covers
I'd start with the original Warbler (MKI, non-D) and build your 3U Audio mic locker up from there.

Old 2nd May 2016
  #2859
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

But isn't the U47 MKII considered a more rock and roll mic and how what are the real differences of the GZ line and MK line when in a mix ? My application is just for male and female vocals btw. Also is there an MK that is close to U67 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
I'd start with the original Warbler (MKI, non-D) and build your 3U Audio mic locker up from there.

Old 2nd May 2016
  #2860
Lives for gear
 

For 70's rock I think of a vintage U87.
The Warbler I has them balls.
Again, that would be my starting point.
But that's my opinion.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2861
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Anyone got samples of MKII vocals ? I'm really interested to hear the U47 emulation.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2862
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

How come of the 3 U47 response curves, not one of them matches the U47 ? Scroll down on both pages

Neumann U47 fet | RecordingHacks.com
3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones

Same deal with U87

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Neumann/U-87
http://www.3uaudio.com/cp.asp?id=684
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2863
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
How come of the 3 U47 response curves, not one of them matches the U47 ? Scroll down on both pages

Neumann U47 fet | RecordingHacks.com
3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones
1. The WIID is not a clone of the U47fet.
Inspired by, yes.

2. The Neumann was supercardioid only. The WIID has three patterns (all with somewhat different frequency characteristics), but not supercardioid.

3. Frequency plots don't say very much about the actual tone character of a mic, believe it or not. Some look close, though FWIW.

4. The WIID, apart from switchable patterns, has three frequency settings. So you can finetune with that. The Neumann did not have that luxury.

5. Both the U47fet and the U87 were used in the seventies. A typical rock recording would likely have the U87 on vocals and the U47fet on kick.



Similar story.

But don't take my word for it.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2864
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Great info. thanks ! Is U47 more of a jazz/crooner mic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
1. The WIID is not a clone of the U47fet.
Inspired by, yes.

2. The Neumann was supercardioid only. The WIID has three patterns (all with somewhat different frequency characteristics), but not supercardioid.

3. Frequency plots don't say very much about the actual tone character of a mic, believe it or not. Some look close, though FWIW.

4. The WIID, apart from switchable patterns, has three frequency settings. So you can finetune with that. The Neumann did not have that luxury.

5. Both the U47fet and the U87 were used in the seventies. A typical rock recording would likely have the U87 on vocals and the U47fet on kick.





Similar story.

But don't take my word for it.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2865
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
Great info. thanks ! Is U47 more of a jazz/crooner mic ?
The original, tube U47 is for sure.
And then some.

The U47fet not so much.

And although the WIID is a fet mic, it may actually be inspired more by the tube U47.
(?)
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2866
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
Anyone got samples of MKII vocals ? I'm really interested to hear the U47 emulation.
Here is the 3U Audio Demo Thread. There may be something there.

Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2867
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Thanks but the only Warbler II appears to be a voice over. I was hoping to hear some vocal performances of these mics in real rock mixes.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2868
Lives for gear
 

Mischief recently got a MKIID.

He's getting acquainted with it as we speak.

Before he locked himself up, he did post a couple samples.

Country style with some twang.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2869
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Thank you so much !

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Mischief recently got a MKIID.

He's getting acquainted with it as we speak.

Before he locked himself up, he did post a couple samples.

Country style with some twang.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2870
SEED78
Guest
I always thought the mkIl and gz47, were both u47 inspired mics that use fet parts, rather than u47fet inspired mics.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2871
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
5. Both the U47fet and the U87 were used in the seventies. A typical rock recording would likely have the U87 on vocals and the U47fet on kick.
U67 was just as common.
Old 2nd May 2016
  #2872
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
The original, tube U47 is for sure.
And then some.
Plenty o rock albums used aU47 on vocals. The Beatles used the 48 conversions for everything.
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2873
Lives for gear
 

I saw a post from 3u audio that there are multiple shootouts between these mics and actual vintage Neumann mics. Can someone point me to those?

Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2874
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhamilton View Post
I saw a post from 3u audio that there are multiple shootouts between these mics and actual vintage Neumann mics. Can someone point me to those?

Thanks!
I've never seen those posts or any like them posted by 3u audio. Where did you see them at?
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2875
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Plenty o rock albums used aU47 on vocals. The Beatles used the 48 conversions for everything.
Yup, but they broke up in 1970. :(

And tube U47s were ditched around that time, too.

In the seventies, it was the U47fet rather than the tube.

And for vocals, more the U87 I'd say.

Anyway, from all the 3U Audio samples I've heard, the original Warbler (MKI, non-D) has that seventies rock sound the most.

To my ears.
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2876
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Anyway, from all the 3U Audio samples I've heard, the original Warbler (MKI, non-D) has that seventies rock sound the most.

To my ears.
And my ears, from the available files. But I would really like to hear stuff done with the D version, as people seem to be suggesting it loses some of that fat 70's tone quality. I fancy multis but not if they lose that tone.....
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2877
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

That's a great question, what is the best 3u mic for 70's rock? MkI MkID ? gz67fet ? what do you all think ?
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2878
Lives for gear
 

Karloff70 wrote:

Quote:
And my ears, from the available files. But I would really like to hear stuff done with the D version, as people seem to be suggesting it loses some of that fat 70's tone quality. I fancy multis but not if they lose that tone.....
Exactly. The WI seems to be the only one that has that difference between the two versions. And many wonder why that is.
For this matter alone it would be nice if Guosheng would chime in. It doesn't have to be all day, every day.

And if he decides to stay out (he is a slutz member BTW), perhaps it would be a good idea if we could have a new "mouthpiece" (couldn't find a better word). No one can replace Dennis of course, but he might have liked it if someone took over this task.

Any volunteers? I'd be willing myself, but I'm temporarily living in a mobile home (in front of our house to be). So I'm not equipped to try them all and maybe do some beta testing, as much as I would love to. And samples are only samples.
Also, there may very well be members who are more suitable than I.
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2879
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
That's a great question, what is the best 3u mic for 70's rock? MkI MkID ? gz67fet ? what do you all think ?
Well, I guess by now you know what I think.

And what Karloff70 thinks.
Old 3rd May 2016
  #2880
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Did Karloff70 have an opinion on which one is best for 70's rock ?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump