The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 23rd April 2016
  #2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsounds View Post

I haven't tried a single 930 at home and planned to, but they are a bit bright too. When I listen to "classic" classical alto/mezzo recordings, they seem to have a darker character, and I am hearing some of that in the 3U mics. They seem like a great choice for someone in my situation. Thanks again, you folks rock!
Also keep in mind the Warbler MkV is a darker mic that has a very smooth character that some have described as ribbon-like.. There are samples on page 10 of this thread, and a few more a page or two later..
Old 23rd April 2016
  #2822
Lives for gear
 

Yes, if you're looking for dark, the V is the darker version of the IV.

Both with an edge terminated capsule.
Old 24th April 2016
  #2823
Lives for gear
If u wanted to try a pair of Ribbon's, try NoHype Audio LRM-2's.
Old 25th April 2016
  #2824
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Received mine yesterday in the mail. Exactly 10 days from order to delivery. They feel a little cheap but I'm totally surprised at how well they lock the mics in place. Totally worthy purchase. I highly recommend these. Thumbs up!

Quick update. I purchased a Rycote USM last week for one of my tube mics. Didn't get the Aston because it was only available with purple lyres and wanted either black or red. Anyway, I was surprised that the Rycote appears to be made from the same plastic as the cheapie $4 dollar shock mounts. The Rycote is prettier but I say if you are on a budget and don't need a larger size mount get the cheapie' from China. They are just as good as the Rycote based on my quick tests. The caveat being the cheapie can only hold small body mics, think u87 form factor. Back to the regular scheduled program...
Old 25th April 2016
  #2825
Here for the gear
 
thebestialfloor's Avatar
 

I´m trying to find some good and cheap LDC to be used in 1- TOMS 2- Out of kick. Also interested in snare.

Anyone has try 3U mics on these positions? Good results? Just fine or superb?

I can only afford the cheap ones (teal or Warblers).
Old 25th April 2016
  #2826
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Quick update. I purchased a Rycote USM last week for one of my tube mics. Didn't get the Aston because it was only available with purple lyres and wanted either black or red. Anyway, I was surprised that the Rycote appears to be made from the same plastic as the cheapie $4 dollar shock mounts. The Rycote is prettier but I say if you are on a budget and don't need a larger size mount get the cheapie' from China. They are just as good as the Rycote based on my quick tests. The caveat being the cheapie can only hold small body mics, think u87 form factor. Back to the regular scheduled program...
The Rycote is a unique design, and as such, very different from any other shock mount re: of price. Whether their unique design really works better or not is the question. What tests did you do and what were the results, more specifically?
Old 25th April 2016
  #2827
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
The Rycote is a unique design, and as such, very different from any other shock mount re: of price. Whether their unique design really works better or not is the question. What tests did you do and what were the results, more specifically?
My apologies for the confusion. I was referring to how well the mounts hold the mic securely not necessarily how they sound per se. I'm sure the Rycote's do something "special" since it came with frequency charts but I would say just based on setting up Mics and talking into them that the difference would not be easily perceptible without test equipment. Also I only compared a few small body mics. I purchased the Rycote for my Stellar CM6 and did not do a comparison. I could only set that one in the Rycote because it does not fit the cheapie shock mounts being ~55mm in diameter.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 25th April 2016 at 11:35 PM..
Old 26th April 2016
  #2828
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
My apologies for the confusion. I was referring to how well the mounts hold the mic securely not necessarily how they sound per se. I'm sure the Rycote's do something "special" since it came with frequency charts but I would say just based on setting up Mics and talking into them that the difference would not be easily perceptible without test equipment. Also I only compared a few small body mics. I purchased the Rycote for my Stellar CM6 and did not do a comparison. I could only set that one in the Rycote because it does not fit the cheapie shock mounts being ~55mm in diameter.
The whole point of a shock mount is how effective it isolates the mic from resonances and shocks. The fact that it looks like it's made of similar material to the cheap ones is irrelevant. It doesn't take test equipment to determine it's effectiveness but it can help confirm the details. An interesting side point is that when comparing the cheap Chinese shock mounts to original Neumann shock mounts, some people have found that some of the elastic bands on the cheap ones seem to exacerbate resonances rather than isolate/dampen them. Sometimes there's no way around paying for quality that is backed by real research and integrity instead of simply making the cheapest thing that looks like the original.
Old 26th April 2016
  #2829
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Here's a song I'm working on. All acoustic instruments recorded with the 3U Audio black Cm-1 into Black Lion B173 preamp, into a Tascam Uh-700. Vocals recorded with Shure SM7b.
Attached Files

Only Want.mp3 (2.90 MB, 1945 views)

Old 26th April 2016
  #2830
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
The whole point of a shock mount is how effective it isolates the mic from resonances and shocks. The fact that it looks like it's made of similar material to the cheap ones is irrelevant. It doesn't take test equipment to determine it's effectiveness but it can help confirm the details. An interesting side point is that when comparing the cheap Chinese shock mounts to original Neumann shock mounts, some people have found that some of the elastic bands on the cheap ones seem to exacerbate resonances rather than isolate/dampen them. Sometimes there's no way around paying for quality that is backed by real research and integrity instead of simply making the cheapest thing that looks like the original.

Honestly, elastic bands causing resonances in my mics is the very last thing on earth I would ever give a thought to in a recording session. That's no knock on Rycote. If I thought it wasn't a good product I would not have purchased it.
Old 26th April 2016
  #2831
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Honestly, elastic bands causing resonances in my mics is the very last thing on earth I would ever give a thought to in a recording session. That's no knock on Rycote. If I thought it wasn't a good product I would not have purchased it.
I hear ya... but it is what they're for, and your original comment about the cheap Chinese mount being just as good didn't speak to that. If you don't care if they work as advertised and only about how well they hold the mic, then why are you using shock mounts at all, especially the Rycote, and even paid top dollar for it. Sorry to nit pick. I just found your comments confusing and misleading, but you already apologized "for the confusion"... Just trying to clarify for the sake of those in a position to be mislead. Carry on...
Old 26th April 2016
  #2832
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Here's a song I'm working on. All acoustic instruments recorded with the 3U Audio black Cm-1 into Black Lion B173 preamp, into a Tascam Uh-700. Vocals recorded with Shure SM7b.
Kinda off subjet, you use to have a focusrite forte, and now it looks like you have a Tascam uh 7000. Is the tascam much of an upgrade?
Old 26th April 2016
  #2833
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurdler View Post
Kinda off subjet, you use to have a focusrite forte, and now it looks like you have a Tascam uh 7000. Is the tascam much of an upgrade?
Personally, I think so. The Tascam has a hair more definition in the mids to my ears.
Old 26th April 2016
  #2834
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Personally, I think so. The Tascam has a hair more definition in the mids to my ears.
Also, with the tascam, can you monitor with the effects but just record the dry signal?

I just bought a forte for a pretty good deal, but looking at maybe switching. That breakout cable is really annoying.
Old 26th April 2016
  #2835
Gear Addict
 
Mulmany's Avatar
Has anyone compared the WMKI(D) and WMKII(D) on kick and bass? Still going around this block. Use to use a oktavamod 319, but sold it. Have a pair of W MKID that are getting alot of use for OH and vox.
Old 27th April 2016
  #2836
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Here's a song I'm working on. All acoustic instruments recorded with the 3U Audio black Cm-1 into Black Lion B173 preamp, into a Tascam Uh-700. Vocals recorded with Shure SM7b.
Lovely tune Patrick. If you didn't win her over with that song.... it ain't going to happen.
Old 27th April 2016
  #2837
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal eater View Post
Lovely tune Patrick. If you didn't win her over with that song.... it ain't going to happen.
Ha ha...thanks! I actually plan to present it to my wife of 8 years on our anniversary in June.
Old 27th April 2016
  #2838
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Here's a song I'm working on. All acoustic instruments recorded with the 3U Audio black Cm-1 into Black Lion B173 preamp, into a Tascam Uh-700. Vocals recorded with Shure SM7b.
Great tune man! I really like your tunes that use that black cm-1, and I thought the Warbler V was great on your voice but the SM7b sounds stellar too. Do you bypass the pres on the Uh-7000? How do you like the B173?
Old 27th April 2016
  #2839
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
Great tune man! I really like your tunes that use that black cm-1, and I thought the Warbler V was great on your voice but the SM7b sounds stellar too. Do you bypass the pres on the Uh-7000? How do you like the B173?
Thanks! Yes, I did bypass the pre's on the UH-700 to use the B173. I do like the B173, but it's also up for sale.
Old 27th April 2016
  #2840
Moderator
 
Blast9's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Thanks! Yes, I did bypass the pre's on the UH-700 to use the B173. I do like the B173, but it's also up for sale.
In order to fund...? :-)
Old 27th April 2016
  #2841
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Thanks! Yes, I did bypass the pre's on the UH-700 to use the B173. I do like the B173, but it's also up for sale.
Oh so you can bypass the preamps on the tascam UH-700 Patrick? I have seen it written in a few different places that the unit does not allow this....
Old 27th April 2016
  #2842
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmuir View Post
Oh so you can bypass the preamps on the tascam UH-700 Patrick? I have seen it written in a few different places that the unit does not allow this....
Well, I guess not really. I used the line-in on the back of the interface. The preamps are so clean I don't think it really matters. In fact, sometimes I prefer the Tascam preamps over the B173 because of the level of detail it captures. That Tascam really is an awesome piece of gear.
Old 27th April 2016
  #2843
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
In order to fund...? :-)
Money to pay for a real drummer!
Old 27th April 2016
  #2844
Lives for gear
 

Ain't nothing like the real thing.
Old 27th April 2016
  #2845
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Any other 3U-Audio mics in Berlin? I would like to test some of the other models against my Warbler I.
PM me.
Old 27th April 2016
  #2846
Lives for gear
 

Patrick, at this moment I only have a poor sounding laptop (and no cans) to go by, but I really like what I'm hearing.





And I ain't missing a drummer in this one!
Old 28th April 2016
  #2847
Lives for gear
 
guitarboy94's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Patrick, at this moment I only have a poor sounding laptop (and no cans) to go by, but I really like what I'm hearing.





And I ain't missing a drummer in this one!
Thanks for the kind words! I typically use EZ Drummer for my songs where I need a drum kit, but I agree, this one is definitely a ballad.
Old 29th April 2016
  #2848
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Anyone know what a Warbler-MKVI is ?
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings3U Audio Warbler Mkvi Condenser Microphone Multi Voicing for Modern Music LDC | eBay

This is my current understanding:
Teal CM1 - C12, 251
Black CM1 - U87Ai
Warbler I - U87i
Warbler II - U47
Warbler III - C12
Warbler IV - C12, 251 little less top end than C12
Warbler V - ribbon like condenser
(if any corrections/tweaks are needed above please mention)

Teal CM-1 - edge-terminated capsule (251) - transformer-less FET output
Black CM-1 - center-terminated capsule (87) - transformer-less FET output
Warbler I - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK II - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled

output
Warbler MK III - edge-terminated capsule (C12) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK IV - edge-terminated capsule (251) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK V - edge-terminated capsule (*dark) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output

Warbler MKID polar version of I
Warbler MKIID polar version of II
Old 29th April 2016
  #2849
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
Anyone know what a Warbler-MKVI is ?
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings3U Audio Warbler Mkvi Condenser Microphone Multi Voicing for Modern Music LDC | eBay

This is my current understanding:
Teal CM1 - C12, 251
Black CM1 - U87Ai
Warbler I - U87i
Warbler II - U47
Warbler III - C12
Warbler IV - C12, 251 little less top end than C12
Warbler V - ribbon like condenser
(if any corrections/tweaks are needed above please mention)

Teal CM-1 - edge-terminated capsule (251) - transformer-less FET output
Black CM-1 - center-terminated capsule (87) - transformer-less FET output
Warbler I - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK II - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled

output
Warbler MK III - edge-terminated capsule (C12) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK IV - edge-terminated capsule (251) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output
Warbler MK V - edge-terminated capsule (*dark) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output

Warbler MKID polar version of I
Warbler MKIID polar version of II
Go back a few pages and there's a ton of discussion on the Warbler MKVI. It's a C800 inspired, brighter voiced center-terminated capsule mic.
Old 29th April 2016
  #2850
Gear Addict
 
bringmewater's Avatar
 

Thanks Ragan, Just found it. It seems not all of the models are available for sale per ebay. Does he have more direct ?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump