The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
It's been discussed a lot here but I realize it's a super long thread.

I'd say the GZ67 is a little airier (not bright though, really smooth up top) and a little more detailed as far as transient response. The MKID is a little more muscular and mid forward.

There are quite a few clips comparing them on my Soundcloud page, though I should note it's the MKI non D which does sound a little different.

https://soundcloud.com/fir_out
Have you used both Mk1D and non D? If so, how would you describe the difference?
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
...while the other re-brands OEM stuff, marks it up like crazy...
Isn't that taking it a bit far? He rebuilds them with different parts and circuits and charges a fair price. Regardless of his transparently poor taste in posting, the product is not bad, a rip off, or simply rebranded.
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Isn't that taking it a bit far? He rebuilds them with different parts and circuits and charges a fair price. Regardless of his transparently poor taste in posting, the product is not bad, a rip off, or simply rebranded.
Re-read the first big dust-up with Dave here and his exchanges with KV. Much of it came out then. I'm not sure what Dave's stance will be now that KV isn't here to counter it but I believe Dave already admitted that the Chinese factories started implementing his and Peter at Stellar's designs a long time ago so there's no "rebuilding" going on.

KV shared the backstory with me awhile back but it was in confidence so I won't say anything he hasn't already posted. I'm also not trying to say this is firsthand knowledge of mine, it isn't. But Dennis knew most of the players in the "story" and I believe he was credible.

There's all kinds of stuff that goes on behind the scenes in the underbelly of international manufacturing and branding.

Last edited by Ragan; 15th April 2016 at 08:56 PM..
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Spamming and Opinions are not the same

Hello, I had no idea that Dennis Stone (KIDVYBES) has passed away.

My deepest condolensces to his family and friends.

I was hoping to meet him one day at an AES or NAMM Trade Show and buy him a beer.

I appreciated his passion toward audio gear and enjoyed debating audio with him.

I have not checked into Gearslutz for several weeks and did not read about Dennis.

I client pointed out the post comparing the 3U microphones to a $4500 LUCAS and thought I should say something in defense of great sounding low cost microphones.

My point of the post was simly to state:- That it is possible to built World Class Sounding tube microphones for under $1K and FET microphones for under $400.

If you have more money to spend than that, then purchasing a better instrument or hiring a first class Studio player will get you a better result than a more expensive microphone in the majority of cases.

My apologies for offending and rambling on but that's who I am.

When I started recording, SPAM was a food group and comedy material for a Monty Phyton skit.

I am 69 this year so you will hopefully not have to put up with too much more of my age related rants.

I would have loved to meet Dennis in person and explore microphone circuits and sounds together with him.

He did good finding the 3U/Warbler connection.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
@ microphonefolk I have reported your post to the mods for the spam that it is and have added you to my ignore list. Completely turned off from any of your microphones in the future.

-Mike
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Addict

It seems a shame that Dave engenders so many negative feelings here... having met and dealt with the bloke (and spent time in his studio) it would be hard to imagine a more generous, committed and knowledgeable bloke. I love the AA mics, that I have, for the stuff that I do.

Maybe some people just aren't as 'modern media savvy' as others, and maybe that should be factored in. There are plenty of people out there that make phenomenal products but don't necessarily communicate well in this online world (let's be honest, there are plenty of examples to be found).
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundSlinger View Post
It seems a shame that Dave engenders so many negative feelings here... having met and dealt with the bloke (and spent time in his studio) it would be hard to imagine a more generous, committed and knowledgeable bloke. I love the AA mics, that I have, for the stuff that I do.

Maybe some people just aren't as 'modern media savvy' as others, and maybe that should be factored in. There are plenty of people out there that make phenomenal products but don't necessarily communicate well in this online world (let's be honest, there are plenty of examples to be found).

While I'm not as charitable as you when it comes to Dave's motivations for intervening in this thread, I certainly don't wish him any personal ill-will.

Perhaps communication style is part of it, but the subtle jabs, incessant name-dropping and continuous self promotion make me wonder if he's not a good bit more savvy than you're giving him credit for.
Old 16th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
...If you have more money to spend than that, then purchasing a better instrument or hiring a first class Studio player will get you a better result than a more expensive microphone in the majority of cases.
Ain't that the truth...and I'm extremely pleased with my MKID.
Thanks for the heads up on the 3uaudio mics Dennis, rest in peace. Very sad to lose your unbiased opinion and knowledge here. This thread and these mics are why I joined this board. More specifically to be able to pm Dennis and say thank you. He encouraged me to share my thoughts here about the MKID to help others and I did way back there somewhere. They do punch way above their price point. Happy tracking!!!
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by microphonefolk View Post
Hello, I had no idea that Dennis Stone (KIDVYBES) has passed away.

My deepest condolensces to his family and friends.

I was hoping to meet him one day at an AES or NAMM Trade Show and buy him a beer.

I appreciated his passion toward audio gear and enjoyed debating audio with him.

I have not checked into Gearslutz for several weeks and did not read about Dennis.

I client pointed out the post comparing the 3U microphones to a $4500 LUCAS and thought I should say something in defense of great sounding low cost microphones.

My point of the post was simly to state:- That it is possible to built World Class Sounding tube microphones for under $1K and FET microphones for under $400.

If you have more money to spend than that, then purchasing a better instrument or hiring a first class Studio player will get you a better result than a more expensive microphone in the majority of cases.

My apologies for offending and rambling on but that's who I am.

When I started recording, SPAM was a food group and comedy material for a Monty Phyton skit.

I am 69 this year so you will hopefully not have to put up with too much more of my age related rants.

I would have loved to meet Dennis in person and explore microphone circuits and sounds together with him.

He did good finding the 3U/Warbler connection.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com
Exactly...you don't read the thread, you don't contribute to it, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on inside it other than to drop some ridiculous out of context advertisement for your generic microphones.

No one was bashing a Lucas mic where they needed a white knight to come in and save the day while then spinning around a 180 and letting everyone know what superstar you paid to record a verse with your microphone. No one cares...I repeat NO ONE CARES. If they did there would be a thread this huge about your mics.

I'm sure you got your fanboys, I personally stopped looking up to other people when I was 15 regardless of accomplishment...so my advice to you is go start your own thread about the magic that is AA and we can all watch in awe all the legendary artists, producers, average users and engineers pour in to share stories and first hand experience with your mics...beyond the paid blurb in a magazine "article" or fake YouTube advertising spot. My guess is that is out of the advertising budget and would hurt the wallet. This is beyond a person "who lacks social media savy" give me a break.

Keep em coming if you want you're just ruining your brand. Everyone likes a hot mess...
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Nut
When I first started reading all these 3U posts, the viterol by a handful towards anyone that was for their agenda and against anyone remotely not for them was pathetic. I would think people would let the product do the talking rather than all the mean spirited back and forth
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummercat View Post
When I first started reading all these 3U posts, the viterol by a handful towards anyone that was for their agenda and against anyone remotely not for them was pathetic. I would think people would let the product do the talking rather than all the mean spirited back and forth
I think the product is doing quite the talking based on the post count, number of users sharing opinion and experience back and forth, as well as thread views.

There really hasn't been any vitriol in this thread. Maybe complete annoyance when the drunk uncle chimes in and has a full blown conversation with himself regarding his mics, who likes them, and how many friends he has. You've been reading all the 3u audio posts right? Then you can clearly see how ridiculous his shilling posts are which are usually followed buy his "loyal customers". I can't even fathom how anyone would even think about buying his stuff after reading these. I would take a Samson over an Advanced Audio at this point, even if it was broken.
Old 16th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Received my GZ47FET today. Took 11 days to arrive. First impressions from initial use are that its a fantastic mic. Very smooth. I think it's a tad less sensitive than my Audio Technical 40 series but as a result doesn't pick up as much mouth noises.
Definitely agree with you. I received one recently and it is very smooth and even...it's beautiful.

Where's the fella with the GZ12!? Give us the scoop any new updates?
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
I am seriously considering the U47, C12 and ELAM251-style mics from 3U Audio. Is it really worth the higher cost to choose the GZ47FET over the Warbler Mk IID, the GZ12FET over the Warbler Mk IIID, and the GZ251FET over the Warbler Mk IVD?

On the other hand, the Warblers have multiple voicings which the GZs don't have, so this is a plus for the Warblers. It makes my choice more difficult unless the GZs sound significantly better than the Warblers.

Your thoughts?
Just hoping anyone could share their thoughts on this.

Anyway, I have another question. I'm also considering the GZ251FET vs the GZ251 tube mic and am having a hard time deciding between the two. The GZ251 tube is about $400 more. Is the extra cost worth it? I guess the choice boils down to this question:

Let's say you're aiming for a mic that sounds like an ELAM 251 tube mic. Is it possible to achieve that sound with a solid state/FET design or do you really have to have a tube?

If you're given the choice between a solid state/FET mic or a tube mic, both of which are well designed and well made, which one would you choose? (Other than the sound, I guess one thing to consider is the advantage of a solid state/FET mic in that it doesn't have a tube that can be difficult to replace later on when that specific tube becomes very hard to find.)
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Nut

My opinion? Tube. Again, my opinion. Also depends on what you want to capture...vocals? Tube.

Which prompts me to ask if anyone has tried the 3U tube mics? Anyone? (I have not checked into this thread in a while)
Cheers
-Steve
Old 17th April 2016
Here for the gear

I originally bought the warbler mk2 I've had numerous mic also had the stellar cm6 I sold it because I liked the warbler that much then I read about the gz mic which I heard was on par with mics 3 times its price all I can say is woth it the gz has a 3d sound compared to the warbler which is a killer mic if you do t have the extra money.the warblers are still great
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Here's my situation.

Ever since I heard the telefunken copperhead on that vintage kings mic shoot out I've wanted one, it pretty much had a sound I love. I've only ever read things about how great a vocal mic it is for its price.

So anyway after reading this thread in beginning to wonder if it's worth the $600 extra over the warbler mkVI that's taken my interest? Any
One help on this?
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
My opinion? Tube. Again, my opinion. Also depends on what you want to capture...vocals? Tube.

Which prompts me to ask if anyone has tried the 3U tube mics? Anyone? (I have not checked into this thread in a while)
Cheers
-Steve
Hi Steve, thanks for sharing!

And yes, I will use this mic for vocals. My intention is for it to be my premier vocal mic.
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black kid View Post
I originally bought the warbler mk2 I've had numerous mic also had the stellar cm6 I sold it because I liked the warbler that much then I read about the gz mic which I heard was on par with mics 3 times its price all I can say is woth it the gz has a 3d sound compared to the warbler which is a killer mic if you do t have the extra money.the warblers are still great
Thanks Black Kid! I've heard great things about the Stellar CM6 and you selling it in favor of the Warbler says so much about the Warbler!

But the GZ with its more 3D sound seems even better. Although, it doesn't have multiple voicings like the Warbler, so I'm still torn. Oh well, I will have to make up my mind, and soon!
Old 17th April 2016
Gear Head

I posted this in the dedicated sound clip section too. But thought I might post here to for the interest of this thread. I hope that's not inappropriate.

Okay last night had a quick play using the Teal CM-1 as a vocal mic.

I didnt track very well or rather I didn't work the mic as well as I should have, so I had to add some compression. I would have liked a cleaner sample. But that was all the time I had.

So here's some info
3U Teal CM-1 vocals. No roll off, no pop filter. Mic placement roughly about 9" away hung from above and capsule at nose height and angled down at 30-40 degree.

I did minimal compression I could and added a touch of reverb and slight echo. I tried to keep it fairly clean as its more about the mic.

Guitar is recorded with a Golden age MKIII ribbon null angled to my vocal source mic about 7" away, where the neck meets the body angled toward the upper bout and across the sound hole

Anyway I hope this is helpful to someone looking at the Teal mic for male vocal.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-303078...if-im-still-in
Old 17th April 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
Listen to the gz47fetV vs Pearlman TM1 demo and you might change your mind.
Old 17th April 2016
I am wondering, does anyone have both a warbler (or gz) and an isk beauty tube mic? How do they compare? I know this was brought up around page 60 or so of the thread, just wondering if anyone has any new info..
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by downrazor11 View Post
I am wondering, does anyone have both a warbler (or gz) and an isk beauty tube mic? How do they compare? I know this was brought up around page 60 or so of the thread, just wondering if anyone has any new info..
I don't have anything to offer but I'm interested in that too.

Kinda jonesing for a Fet47 V too...
Old 17th April 2016
Here for the gear

Hi guys I have an isk starlight which is on the darker side the warbler mk2 which my clients liked better than the starlight and the gz 47v which everyone was flawed by its in another dimension I don't see these MIC's being this low for long
Old 17th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by downrazor11 View Post
I have a Warbler MKIII and MKVI, and an iSK 2B Beauty. I will do my best to get some sound files up in the next two or three days.

The 2B has a darker sound, to my ears, than either the MKIII or MKVI. I changed the tube in the 2B to the 12AT7 offered by Kris at iSK as an alternative to the 12AX7 it comes with. It brought it just enough from the dark side for my tastes, but is still a little darker than either of the Warblers. The 2B is a very fine mic, imho. As are the Warblers. The 2B has a different vibe.

Hopefully the sound clips will offer a more understandable explanation of the differences. The more I learn about mics, the less faith I have that the way I describe sounds is the "language" everyone else uses.
Old 18th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Wrong Thread

Again, I apologize for being such a "BOZO" on Gearslutz and using "guerilla marketing" techniques. In hindsight I should not have given in to impulse and should not have written a thread after two glasses of wine.

This will be my last POST on your AFFORDABLE LDC microphone post.

I am truly saddened by Dennis Stones sudden departure. I was quite taken by his knowledge and passion for microphones. He actually did inspire me to re-look at the possibility of designing a single stage tube microphone circuit.

I really wanted to meet him. I have had the privilege of meeting Michael Jolly, Tim Campbell, David Royer and Wes Dooley in person and would have loved to here his contribution to the conversation.

I basically "wrote off" single plate circuits after discovering and optimizing the CCDA circuit. However, I re-thought it after our last "dust-up".

We will introduce his inspiration at the Namm in Nashville in June. He reminded me that I forgot where I started, building professional sounding but affordable microphones for project studios and not high end users. So, the new tube version will be very affordable with a very traditional original 47 circuit.

If I had paid for Artist endorsements I would have never posted those comments. I was just proud that those folks choose to use our microphones over others. I have great respect for my hero and friend Jack Douglas who bought microphones from me and I was so happy he gave me an endorsement.

The Tape Op, SOS and Recording Magazine reviews were not paid for. However, we did place a small add in these issues which we thought was prudent.

Our microphone bodies are Generic the circuits are not. We use the same folks as 3U to wind our transformers and the same folks to manufacture the bodies.

Again, I am really devastated with the passing of Dennis. I am glad he was able to give his vast knowledge out and its there in the Internet for all to find.

At 68 I am loosing friends an associates at an alarming rate.

All the best to everyone in these threads. Keep recording and creating.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
Exactly...you don't read the thread, you don't contribute to it, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on inside it other than to drop some ridiculous out of context advertisement for your generic microphones.

No one was bashing a Lucas mic where they needed a white knight to come in and save the day while then spinning around a 180 and letting everyone know what superstar you paid to record a verse with your microphone. No one cares...I repeat NO ONE CARES. If they did there would be a thread this huge about your mics.

I'm sure you got your fanboys, I personally stopped looking up to other people when I was 15 regardless of accomplishment...so my advice to you is go start your own thread about the magic that is AA and we can all watch in awe all the legendary artists, producers, average users and engineers pour in to share stories and first hand experience with your mics...beyond the paid blurb in a magazine "article" or fake YouTube advertising spot. My guess is that is out of the advertising budget and would hurt the wallet. This is beyond a person "who lacks social media savy" give me a break.

Keep em coming if you want you're just ruining your brand. Everyone likes a hot mess...
Old 18th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by microphonefolk View Post
Again, I apologize for being such a "BOZO" on Gearslutz and using "guerilla marketing" techniques. In hindsight I should not have given in to impulse and should not have written a thread after two glasses of wine.

This will be my last POST on your AFFORDABLE LDC microphone post.

I am truly saddened by Dennis Stones sudden departure. I was quite taken by his knowledge and passion for microphones. He actually did inspire me to re-look at the possibility of designing a single stage tube microphone circuit.

I really wanted to meet him. I have had the privilege of meeting Michael Jolly, Tim Campbell, David Royer and Wes Dooley in person and would have loved to here his contribution to the conversation.

I basically "wrote off" single plate circuits after discovering and optimizing the CCDA circuit. However, I re-thought it after our last "dust-up".

We will introduce his inspiration at the Namm in Nashville in June. He reminded me that I forgot where I started, building professional sounding but affordable microphones for project studios and not high end users. So, the new tube version will be very affordable with a very traditional original 47 circuit.

If I had paid for Artist endorsements I would have never posted those comments. I was just proud that those folks choose to use our microphones over others. I have great respect for my hero and friend Jack Douglas who bought microphones from me and I was so happy he gave me an endorsement.

The Tape Op, SOS and Recording Magazine reviews were not paid for. However, we did place a small add in these issues which we thought was prudent.

Our microphone bodies are Generic the circuits are not. We use the same folks as 3U to wind our transformers and the same folks to manufacture the bodies.

Again, I am really devastated with the passing of Dennis. I am glad he was able to give his vast knowledge out and its there in the Internet for all to find.

At 68 I am loosing friends an associates at an alarming rate.

All the best to everyone in these threads. Keep recording and creating.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com

(Speaking for myself) No hard feelings man, I respect what you are doing and if I were in your position I would probably be proud of my accomplishments with exuberance as well.. I just didn't like the infomercial without any comparison or questions about 3u Audios mics. I respect your experience.

If you have some extra dough please try out one or two of Guosheng's mics and see what we are so passionate about. I'll admit the title of the thread can leave it up to interpretation that it is about 'different' 'affordable' LDC mics, but really this thread is about one brand of LDCs, namely 3u Audio, so if you haven't tried them or don't have questions about their specs or sound (or how they compare to other mics, etc) just respect that. I would hope you do try them and post back your thoughts, I wouldn't want you to think your expertise can't be appreciated here, it can, but in the context relating to 3u mics..

Anyways, thanks for sharing your perspective and condolences.
Old 18th April 2016
I've got the GZ12fet. Putting it through it's paces.. I'll get some samples up here soon for you kids! I can say this so far... I'm as impressed as I was when I shot out my Pearlman TM-1 and GZ47fet V
Old 18th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Just hoping anyone could share their thoughts on this.

Anyway, I have another question. I'm also considering the GZ251FET vs the GZ251 tube mic and am having a hard time deciding between the two. The GZ251 tube is about $400 more. Is the extra cost worth it? I guess the choice boils down to this question:

Let's say you're aiming for a mic that sounds like an ELAM 251 tube mic. Is it possible to achieve that sound with a solid state/FET design or do you really have to have a tube?

If you're given the choice between a solid state/FET mic or a tube mic, both of which are well designed and well made, which one would you choose? (Other than the sound, I guess one thing to consider is the advantage of a solid state/FET mic in that it doesn't have a tube that can be difficult to replace later on when that specific tube becomes very hard to find.)
I didn't know there was a GC251 tube mic available.

If you want the harmonic richness of a tube mic get a tube mic. If you want the faster, tighter response of a fet mic get a fet mic. I have the GZ251 and I love it for drums and percussive stuff. If I was buying it as a vocal mic or to put in front of amps I'd want the tube version.
Old 18th April 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfarr View Post
I've got the GZ12fet. Putting it through it's paces.. I'll get some samples up here soon for you kids! I can say this so far... I'm as impressed as I was when I shot out my Pearlman TM-1 and GZ47fet V
Would love to hear comparisons to gz47fetV!
Old 19th April 2016
Gear Head

Hi I have the Warbler MKIID coming. (6days in customs already arggggg)

But I have a few samples I did last night using the Teal Cm-1 and I would love to get some feedback if it's a good vocal mic for me.

I tried to pick varied songs, please ignore forgive my mistakes as I may suck a little....shhhh. Lol

If it's a good mic I may get the equivalent mic in a warbler D so I can have pattern selection and alternate vocal mic and use whatever other mic for guitar. It would mean sacrificing stereo on the guitar for now.

I appreciate any advice here.

Anyway here's the samples.
Recorded straight to garage band as a single track on my phone, added slight compression to lower some peak and added reverb but there no room effect on. The guitar is run through my DI and not miked. So no mixing tracks or EQ done.

The Chair

The chair, teal CM-1 , guitar DI rough by User 30307877 https://soundcloud.com/user-30307877...cm-1-guitar-di on #SoundCloud

Between the devil and me

Between the devil and me teal cm-1 vocal , guitar DI by User 30307877 https://soundcloud.com/user-30307877...il-and-me-teal on #SoundCloud

The Dance

https://soundcloud.com/user-30307877...cals-teal-cm-1

I fall to pieces

https://soundcloud.com/user-30307877...s-test-teal-cm
Old 19th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
I would love to get some feedback if it's a good vocal mic for me.
Tried to play them at work but none of the links worked. It could be the network here or something, but you may want to check.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search