Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 4th December 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks Ragan ! looking fwd to hearing them
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

I dug around the thread a little but could find anything about this:

Has anyone tried the SDC?

I've got a pair of Beyer 930's which I'm happy with on everything but strummed acoustic. I wish it did the KM84 thing there...
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
Has anyone tried the SDC?

I've got a pair of Beyer 930's which I'm happy with on everything but strummed acoustic. I wish it did the KM84 thing there...
...it's not an SDC, but did you listen to Ragan's comparison of the Teal CM-1 and the KM84?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11498404-post1531.html
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...it's not an SDC, but did you listen to Ragan's comparison of the Teal CM-1 and the KM84?

Also, as I posted the next morning, I got them to sound closer with a little 2.6k added to the CM-1.

There are a couple clips of 3U's SDC somewhere in the thread but we haven't heard much out of them. I'm interested as well. Guosheng says they sound more like the KM184 than the KM84 for whatever that's worth.
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Nut

OK... I've spent the last hour or so trying to find comparison clips on OHs between the MkI or MkID, and the GZ67 with no success ...do they, in fact, exist?

If so, please point me in the right direction...

And as eluded to awhile back, these 3U mics should have their own sound-clip thread, as this thread is getting way too long to plow through...

Anyone agree with me? KV?
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
OK... I've spent the last hour or so trying to find comparison clips on OHs between the MkI or MkID, and the GZ67 with no success ...do they, in fact, exist?

If so, please point me in the right direction...

And as eluded to awhile back, these 3U mics should have their own sound-clip thread, as this thread is getting way too long to plow through...

I don't remember any MKI/GZ67 OH clips. I will do some in the near future though.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post

...yes, that was my suggestion, so certainly I agree...but someone else needs to initiate/curate that thread...I don't want to monopolize the forum...I will assist of course...
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I did, and he definitely got it in the ballpark. He said he used eq, so not sure how much tweaking he had to do to get there... For the price I might just grab a CM-1.

Still, if anyone has tried the SDC I'd like to hear their impressions.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Also, as I posted the next morning, I got them to sound closer with a little 2.6k added to the CM-1.

There are a couple clips of 3U's SDC somewhere in the thread but we haven't heard much out of them. I'm interested as well. Guosheng says they sound more like the KM184 than the KM84 for whatever that's worth.
Ah, thanks. I actually like KM184's for some stuff...interesting.

For your CM-1 clips, how much did you have to EQ? Are we talking a couple of 1-2db tweaks, or did it require anything extreme?
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I actually like KM184's for some stuff...interesting.

For your CM-1 clips, how much did you have to EQ? Are we talking a couple of 1-2db tweaks, or did it require anything extreme?
Here's the curve from the 'next morning' so it's a little closer than the clips I posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-cm-1-km84-curve.png  

Last edited by Ragan; 5th December 2015 at 09:42 AM..
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Are there any clips of the Warbler mkIV anywhere. So far I've only found a shootout on YouTube with the Stellar CM6 and Audio Technica AT4040.
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Maniac

After reading and accessing here since September I'm finally jumping in the game. I have asked Guosheng about buying the GZ67 for vocals. I'm not sure whether to get the FET or tube. I'm also interested in the GZ74 since I don't have any small diaphragm condenser mics. I wanted to use it on acoustic guitar. I'm trying to decide which Warbler D series mics to get to complement the other mics and what I already have. I already have a Rode NTK, two Cascade ribbon mics (Knucklehead and Vin-Jet both with Lundahl). I'm mostly recording female vocal (strong alto voice), acoustic guitar, electric guitar cabinets, and flute.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Are there any clips of the Warbler mkIV anywhere. So far I've only found a shootout on YouTube with the Stellar CM6 and Audio Technica AT4040.
There are a lot of Warbler IV clips in this thread. You can find a handful on my Soundcloud. Various sources.

https://soundcloud.com/fir_out
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
After reading and accessing here since September I'm finally jumping in the game. I have asked Guosheng about buying the GZ67 for vocals. I'm not sure whether to get the FET or tube. I'm also interested in the GZ74 since I don't have any small diaphragm condenser mics. I wanted to use it on acoustic guitar. I'm trying to decide which Warbler D series mics to get to complement the other mics and what I already have. I already have a Rode NTK, two Cascade ribbon mics (Knucklehead and Vin-Jet both with Lundahl). I'm mostly recording female vocal (strong alto voice), acoustic guitar, electric guitar cabinets, and flute.
...from what you've listed above, I'd suggest considering one of the edge-terminated capsule based options like the Warbler MKIV or if you prefer a multi-patterned "D" variant, Guosheng should be offering an MKIVD in the near future...the 251-inspired mics (like the MKIV) are wonderful on female vocals, as well as the other applications you've mentioned...a good companion to the GZ67 and ribbon-mics...
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Here's the curve from the 'next morning' so it's a little closer than the clips I posted.
Cool, thanks. So it's basically a little more scooped. I checked out your Soundcloud stuff with the raw track - pretty damn good for the price! Also, the Warbler MkI is very nice on acoustic and vocals too.

Thanks for posting all that stuff.
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Head

MKIV-Ds are availabke now. They are not up on the site yet. I might pull the trigger on one soon.
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...from what you've listed above, I'd suggest considering one of the edge-terminated capsule based options like the Warbler MKIV or if you prefer a multi-patterned "D" variant, Guosheng should be offering an MKIVD in the near future...the 251-inspired mics (like the MKIV) are wonderful on female vocals, as well as the other applications you've mentioned...a good companion to the GZ67 and ribbon-mics...
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm very excited about this. How long does it usually take to get the mics? Any duty/customs fee when it arrives in the US?

Any opinions on whether I should get the FET or tube version of the GZ67? I'm more inclined to get the FET simply because it is cheaper, but if there is some quantifiable difference between the two I would consider the tube version.
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm very excited about this. How long does it usually take to get the mics? Any duty/customs fee when it arrives in the US?

Any opinions on whether I should get the FET or tube version of the GZ67?
...my orders have arrived within 8-10 business days and there's no duty or customs fees involved...they do the necessary paperwork, so the package will arrive with your daily mail...

...as far as which GZ67 to get, I can only tell you that the FET version is really outstanding...smooth (zero harshness!), rich with nice sonic depth and detail...I have no experience with the tube version, but certainly the build quality looks excellent (Lundahl tranny, Telefunken EF86 tube, etc)...

...sooner or later, someone will bite the bullet on the GZ67 Tube mic and we'll get some first-hand feedback...looking forward to that...

Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I posted one probably about 6 or 8 pages back, comparing the MKIV to a C414eb P48 (teflon capsule, not brass capsule.)
Old 6th December 2015
Gear Addict

What was the thread size for mounting the Warbler or GZ mics? Realized that I forgot to specify the shock mounts when ordering the pair of WID's.
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did, and he definitely got it in the ballpark. He said he used eq, so not sure how much tweaking he had to do to get there... For the price I might just grab a CM-1.

Still, if anyone has tried the SDC I'd like to hear their impressions.
I'm not sure that I can be much use but I own a pair of the GZ74's. There's 2 or 3 other people in this thread that have them too.

My impression is I love them, they sound great to me but I don't own another set of SDC's to compare them too nor have I had a chance to take em out to another studio to compare them to others. Without comparing them to others it's hard for me to articulate how they sound other than to me they sound natural.

I wish I could be of more help but till I get them up with something like Shure SM81', KM184's etc it's hard to say how they compare.
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany View Post
What was the thread size for mounting the Warbler or GZ mics? Realized that I forgot to specify the shock mounts when ordering the pair of WID's.
...according to Guosheng's eBay ad, the thread is "M22x1" (22mm)...comes with silver-gray elastic bands:
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings3U Audio SM-2 Spider Shock Mount For Warbler Series & GZ LDC Mics

...it's best to order the mounts direct from Guosheng for the lowest price...

...others have used the Samson SP-01 mount as well...comes with black elastic bands:
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple VoicingsSamson SP01 Shockmount Spider Mount for Condenser Mics | eBay

...if your budget is really snug, these work quite well too (will not scratch the mic body):
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicingshttp://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-Univ...c/181821922529

Last edited by kidvybes; 6th December 2015 at 05:04 PM..
Old 6th December 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany View Post
I got a couple of these Nady shockmounts for my MKIs. They are working great!

Amazon.com: Nady SSPF-4 Spider Shockmount with Integrated Pop Filter - fits any microphone with 38-53mm diameter - Vocal recording, large condenser set up: Musical Instruments
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-shockmount.jpg  
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

*** ANYBODY IN THE COLUMBUS, OHIO AREA? ***

...there's a studio in that area that's interested in demo'ing any of the 3U Audio mics, so I thought I'd reach out to see if any of the early-adapters in this thread are in that area and might consider arranging to drop by that studio for a demo session...thought it might be worth a try to ask...

Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
*** ANYBODY IN THE COLUMBUS, OHIO AREA? ***

...there's a studio in that area that's interested in demo'ing any of the 3U Audio mics, so I thought I'd reach out to see if any of the early-adapters in this thread are in that area and might consider arranging to drop by that studio for a demo session...thought it might be worth a try to ask...

I live in Columbus, OH. I'd be glad to let them demo my 3U black CM-1. That's all I own at the time being. Sold my Warblers because the CM-1 met all of my needs.
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
I live in Columbus, OH. I'd be glad to let them demo my 3U black CM-1. That's all I own at the time being. Sold my Warblers because the CM-1 met all of my needs.
...OK cool...I think they were most interested in auditioning a Warbler-series or GZ-series for vocal duties, but I'll let them know about the CM-1 and get back to you...thanks for offering, bro...
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
...OK cool...I think they were most interested in auditioning a Warbler-series or GZ-series for vocal duties, but I'll let them know about the CM-1 and get back to you...thanks for offering, bro...
Understood. Let them know those CM-1's are no slouch, even though they are dirt cheap!
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Understood. Let them know those CM-1's are no slouch, even though they are dirt cheap!
Absolutely!
Old 8th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...my orders have arrived within 8-10 business days and there's no duty or customs fees involved...they do the necessary paperwork, so the package will arrive with your daily mail...

...as far as which GZ67 to get, I can only tell you that the FET version is really outstanding...smooth (zero harshness!), rich with nice sonic depth and detail...I have no experience with the tube version, but certainly the build quality looks excellent (Lundahl tranny, Telefunken EF86 tube, etc)...

...sooner or later, someone will bite the bullet on the GZ67 Tube mic and we'll get some first-hand feedback...looking forward to that...

The mics have been ordered!! Might be cutting it close for Christmas travel, but I hope they arrive before I have to leave.

I bought a GZ74 for a friend who plays the flute so I'll get her to give us some audio samples.

I'll be testing out the GZ74 with acoustic guitar and the other mics (GZ67fet, Warbler MKIVD) with guitar and vocals.

Did anyone start the 3U Audio audio samples thread yet?
Old 8th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The mics have been ordered!! Might be cutting it close for Christmas travel, but I hope they arrive before I have to leave.

I bought a GZ74 for a friend who plays the flute so I'll get her to give us some audio samples.

I'll be testing out the GZ74 with acoustic guitar and the other mics (GZ67fet, Warbler MKIVD) with guitar and vocals.

Did anyone start the 3U Audio audio samples thread yet?
Awesome. I wanna hear those GZ74's more on acoustic guitar.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search