The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...Guosheng informed me that the SM-2 shockmount (for the Warbler and GZ-series mics) is now in stock and listed on the website...

Looks identical to the shockmount iSK uses for the 2B Beauty. Good solid shockmount that sternly fixes the mic.
Old 26th November 2015
Gear Nut
I'm thankful we have a place where people can share their experiences with some great products they have found or products they have produced. Some designs are unique for those looking for their own sound. Some pay homage to familiar designs that we can relate to. It's nice how people are welcome to discuss their wares and discoveries. It's a shame when people with alpha issues berate posters because of their physical and economical shortfalls.
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

...looks like the first of the C800g-inspired Warbler variants to become available will be the multi-patterned, multi-voiced Warbler MKVID, currently being beta-tested by Guosheng...he informed me that one of the optional voice-positions takes the mic's voicing very close to the modern U87Ai variant...if testing goes as plan, this new addition should become available very shortly...

...special thanks to those in this thread that requested this addition to the 3U Audio FET family of mics...
Old 27th November 2015
SEED78
group buy?
Old 28th November 2015
Here for the gear

Just received the MKID, really impressed with the 'high end sheen'. Pleasant and not harsh.
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Nut

I just received my pair of MKID mics myself, they are very 'expensive' sounding mics, if I must say. A lot better than some of the other SS mics I own.

Thought I'd upload a few pics I took, also, I think that owning Se.No. 1377 and 78, and having them stamped, not just a sticker or whatnot, is a nice touch for mics at such a reasonable price.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-mkid_side-93975446.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-mkid_alt-92945859.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-mkid_close-5052899.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-warbler_mkid-93114663.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-mkid_serial_no.-65961149.jpg  

Last edited by 3rdstone; 29th November 2015 at 11:20 PM..
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

...I had inquired about more details regarding the upcoming new Warbler MKVID (the first variant of this voicing to become available shortly), and I just heard back from Guosheng...he made a point of explaining that this new addition to the Warbler-series is by no means meant to be a C800g clone or sound-alike...rather it is a direct response to those requesting a brighter (not harsh) variant of the MKI, while also offering another voicing that is a response to those suggesting the C800g option...since both the U87 and C800g are K67-based designs, this seemed a more versatile option...Guosheng tuned a special K67 capsule variant for this particular microphone...

...this is how he describes the voicing options on the new MKVI:
V1 - This is the brightest setting, with the intent of offering C800g-like presence.
V2 - This setting is a brighter voicing of the MKI, possibly more U87Ai-like.
V3 - This setting would be closest to the MKI in voice position 1.

...so the MKVI is essentially the brighter variant of the MKI (or the MKI is darker MKVI version)...Guosheng explained that tuning the mic to offer a brighter voicing while at the same time avoiding any of the harshness associated with typical "bright" LDC microphones was the real task at hand and took much effort...

...he also decided to stay with the overall look of the MKID (all the 3U Audio variants that employ a K67-style capsule will retain the new angled head-basket), rather than try to emulate the C800g appearance as he does not want to infringe on Sony's product, nor imply that this mic is intended specifically as a C800g alternative...it is simply a new, brighter variant of the Warbler FET family...

...the first units are now in production...

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-w6d.jpg  
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear
Good info ^

Where would you place the MKIV (and its voicings) in comparison to the above info?
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
Good info ^

Where would you place the MKIV (and its voicings) in comparison to the above info?
...apples and oranges...you're comparing center-terminated K67-capsule based mics with edge-terminated C12-capsule based mics...very different, almost the opposite of each other...the K-67 based mics are more mid-forward (with the 7K dip) while the C12 based mics are more boosted top and bottom (sounding a bit mid-scooped?)...if you wanted 2 vocal mics that compliment each other (meaning, very different from each other) I would recommend the MKIV paired with either the MKI or MKVI...
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear
I noticed from the MK1 / MKIV comparison example from earlier in this thread that the MKIV sounded a touch brighter than the MKI. But they didn't sound *that* much different from each other.
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
I noticed from the MK1 / MKIV comparison example from earlier in this thread that the MKIV sounded a touch brighter than the MKI. But they didn't sound *that* much different from each other.
...how different they sound in any particular comparison is going to be very dependent on the specific source being recorded and it's sonic character...certain sources with frequency response heavily weighted in the 1.5K-20K range should sound distinct from one another...just look at the response charts for those two mics (below)...it's essentially like comparing a U87 to a 251...they may both sound good on a particular source, but be different in how they represent it in sonic terms...

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-warbler-i.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-warbler-iv.jpg  
Old 29th November 2015
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, I've had a MKI and MKIV here for months and they do sound significantly different. The IV is quite a bit more pulled back in the mids and especially low mids. Great for mid-heavy sources like guitars and some voices. Sounds a little more delicate where the MKI sounds muscular. Neither of them are bright. Both have smooth tops.
Old 30th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
.. Guosheng tuned a special K67 capsule variant for this particular microphone...

...this is how he describes the voicing options on the new MKVI:
V1 - This is the brightest setting, with the intent of offering C800g-like presence.
V2 - This setting is a brighter voicing of the MKI, possibly more U87Ai-like.
V3 - This setting would be closest to the MKI in voice position 1.

...so the MKVI is essentially the brighter variant of the MKI (or the MKI is darker MKVI version)...Guosheng explained that tuning the mic to offer a brighter voicing while at the same time avoiding any of the harshness associated with typical "bright" LDC microphones was the real task at hand and took much effort...

...he also decided to stay with the overall look of the MKID (all the 3U Audio variants that employ a K67-style capsule will retain the new angled head-basket.
Given this information, this is going to change my future purchase from a pair of MkIIIDs to one, and an additional purchase of this new MkVID.

That's actually a relief from a budget standpoint, and a certain enthusiastic anticipation of this new variant.

After testing these MkIDs a bit, there are definite plans for them, used as a pair. I now 'get' what you folks who owned them before I did were talking about.
My ear was telling me certain things after listening to the clips upthread, but until I had them hooked up, and had a chance to 'work' them using my voice and other dynamic instruments, I was only speculating...

So this is great news overall, because after getting my hands on the two GZ mics I just listed, there are only a few more mics I need to complete my 'palette of voicings' .. Namely the Stellars when they come out.
That leaves the only other one, and I strongly suspect that I'm going to need to break out the soldering iron for that one... ...
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

I am curious as to how the dark Mark V warbler would sound compared to a ribbon , say a Royer 121 . This designer is really hitting it home
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
also, I think that owning Se.No. 1377 and 78, and having them stamped, not just a sticker or whatnot, is a nice touch for mics at such a reasonable price.
...absolutely, matched pair, consecutive serials...very cool!
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

...tech specs for the new Warbler MKVI...BTW, the MKVI's voice-position 1 looks somewhat similar to the C800g (far right pic)...

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-w6-specs.1.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-w6-specs.2.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-c800g-cardioid.png  
Old 30th November 2015
SEED78
Would love to hear mkVI vs Stellar CM6!
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
...tech specs for the new Warbler MKVI...BTW, the MKVI's voice-position 1 looks somewhat similar to the C800g (far right pic)...

Looks like the HF rise in the Mk VI starts a bit higher up, which will probably be useful in keeping sibilance in check.
Old 1st December 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nice! Very useful info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Looks like the HF rise in the Mk VI starts a bit higher up, which will probably be useful in keeping sibilance in check.
Looked at another way, seems voicings 2 and 3 won't impede the response below the higher frequencies centered around the 12.5kHz area, effectively leaving the 2-8kHz area alone, pretty awesome if you ask me...
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Would love to hear mkVI vs Stellar CM6!
...and you know that's gonna happen, for sure...
Old 1st December 2015
SEED78
Quote:
...and you know that's gonna happen, for sure...
Awesome!
Old 1st December 2015
Gear Maniac

Cm87/cm414

Hello, thanks for your comments. To quote, "The Greatful Dead".

What a long strange, trip it has been. I have loved every minute of it!!!

I have got to work with or meet quite a few of my heroes along the way.

I have been a professional audio engineer since 1965 and a mix/recording engineer since 1968. I built and wired several recording studio in the 70's and 80's.

I have re-built or serviced most types of the major recording consoles. I have designed lots of "proprietary" custom recording gear but I have never worked in a microphone factory even though I have repaired many different models and types.

In the 80's we ripped out all transformers because of "phase" issues and by the turn of the Century folks were putting transformers back in to help smooth out the "audio" before it went digital. Transformers are governed by the law of hysteresis as is recording tape. This can create "compression" of the high frequencies and more even order harmonics are generated". Which is "nice" sounding distortion.

One of the things David Royer and I discuss is there are no "proprietary" circuits.

All are variations of discrete, IC or tube circuit topographies that have been long discovered but there is still room to implement some if these more elegantly.

There are several ways to "skin a cat" and get the same result at the end.

You can apply slight variations and build a hybrid circuit like our CM28 which has a FET as the front end connected to the capsule and this Fet is placed across the cathode of the tube and the tubes grid is grounded. You get the detail of a fet circuit and the warmth of a tube circuit.

Components need to be selected for their location through the audio path we have found that polystyrene capacitors work best betwen the capsule and the fet or tube. So, using all WIMA capacitors throughout is not always the best design strategy but using them in strategic places as you would other components like Dale or Vishay precision resistors.

Some earlier versions of our microphones have metal film WIMA caps in that location. However, I see there are polystyrene in the front end of the Warbler circuit board pictured, which is good. My friend Tom Graefe who designed the Sony MXP3036 console turned me onto the polystyrene caps for coupling the capsule.

BTW, those "mustard blob" capacitors you talk about are tantalum capacitors costing nearly $3 each. This is what Neumann used in the audio path of the U87 as did AKG in the 414eb.

The Zen Pro Audio mod for the GA73 clone involves replacing 7 electrolytic capacitors and replacing them with tantalum capacitors as Rupert Neve used.

If you are going to replace them with Nichon electrolytics use 63v non polarized ones and bypass them with a .01 WIMA. The tantalums do add some vintage "colour" to the sound BUT if you put them in backward they are quickly destroyed and will cause horrible distortion.

All our tube microphone use a WIMA SMD-pet 2.2ufd output capacitors with a polystyrene input capacitor.

You could send the CM87 back and exchange it for our CM48. The CM48 is less brash at 10khz having a nice K47 upper midrange and the 2.25:1 transformer.

Which Warbler do you have the K67 capsule version or the CK12 version?

I basically designed the CM87 for voice/over work and spot miking.

My guess is you like the more open sound of the edge fed capsule but with a LP filter switched in to reduce the rise at 10khz about 3db.

The only thing we could offer is to modify our CM414 which has the edge fed capsule and 3 patterns so the LP filter becomes a HP filter pulling 10khz down 3db.

Now, I am not unhappy that there is a another microphone maker producing quality offerings and with alternative options in our price range. Especially, using the same body as our CM87, CM48 and THE TUBE CM48 is brilliant. It means the metalwork factory will keep producing these bodies, head grills and sleeves for the forseeable future. We all benefit from this as it keep the metalwork price low.

The body is very egornomic and easy to dissasemble for serving. Another adavantage is that we offer replacement HD shock-mounts that will fit that body.

I just finished "designing" a U48 type tube circuit that fits into the CM48/CM87 Warbler body and head grills. Its based on a miniature 6aK5-7 pin tube which has incredibly similar spec to the VF14 but requires a 6 volt filament supply. We are very excited about the prototype with our AK47 capsule fitted. It will have a BV8 transformer but with a custom turns ratio to match the 6AK5 which has a plate resistance about 20% higher than the venerable old VF14 tube. It will have 3 patterns plus a hp filter and pad.

We are going to layout the circuit board over the next few days and then send it out for printing. We have the bodies and head grills on hand in Shanghai to build up CM87 and CM48 microphones. We believe THE TUBE CM48 will be in production and ready to ship by late winter/ early spring 2016 for $595.00.

At the moment Scotty and Mike are down in the studio testing the prototype.

How old is your CM87? After the first two runs we increased the gain and headroom by 3db and the last run has an upgraded transformer much like the Warbler transformer but with a 2.25:1 ratio to match the emitter follower.

It is a bit more "HiFi" and open with the 2.25:1 larger transformer and the resistor change. R10 should be a 2.4K resistor not a 4.7K.

Now, I admit I have fallen a bit out of touch with the average project and small town studio guy of which I was once a card carrying member.

After, sampling the rare air up at top and getting my 15 minutes of fame with my super-heros; I realized that I should now set about to built a classic sounding vintage tube microphone based on the U48 that would be worthy of being used in a major studio but well within the budget of most project and grass root studios.

Once the circuit boards go off to print I will be heading to Mexico for vacation and to record some live latin and jazz music in Los Cabos.

All the best to everyone for the Holiday and the New Year and thanks for supporting and talking about our microphones.

Cheers, Dave Thomas
aamicrophones.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
Dave,
You crazy mad genius. You know that old saying about how "you can't polish a turd"? Well, kudos to you for showing that you can. You are able to take an inferior microphone someone else designed and mass manufactured, identify what could be done better and, gosh darn it, you or your man Scotty get in there with your soldering irons and modify the heck out of that thing until it sounds like something much better than what you started out with. Really, as a mic modder with a decent biz plan, you're aces. You've even written here about how your manufacturing sources are integrating your circuit changes and mods into their stuff. I only hope you're getting a royalty for that, but I probably wouldn't bet you are. Your story, your background, impressive. I even bought one of your microphones. But, unfortunately, to my ears that microphone still sounds sterile and lacks depth. I don't really like it and I never use it. Ironically, I've been thinking about modding it! Maybe taking out some of those ugly mustard blob caps and throwing a couple of Nichicon Muse caps in there to see if I can add more life to it.

And while 3U Audio may share some same metalwork sources for their mic bodies coming from that one square block in China where you say 90 percent of mic bodies come from, I'm of the belief that the comparison ends there. It appears that Guosheng designed his own proprietary mic circuits and capsules and then he builds them in his own factory. Look inside any 3u Audio Warbler or GZ series and you're going to see it's loaded with premium components, Wima caps, Dale resistors, etc. Open up an AA mic and... well, you don't. To me, that feels like a really big difference right there.

Plus, you can't deny that AA mics, are costlier than 3U Audio mics. Perhaps that's just a function of you being the middleman here and having to account for your bench time, import fees, etc. IMO, on a dollar for dollar basis, AA loses this contest, hands down. Because of the way 3U is set up as an all-inclusive system, it's not an even playing field, but then again, neither is life.

Here's the kicker though. Price-schmice--It's all about sound, right? You look at this ridiculously massive thread and all the comments to date and one thing is pretty clear: people are losing their minds over how these 3U Audio mics sound. My mics get used for work every day. I rely on them to make a living and one thing has been clear: the increased number of compliments I've been getting on my sound from my clients ever since I switched to using Warblers as my main mics. In my little world, that's enough empirical evidence to justify what my ears are already telling me. In a world of wanna-be's, 3U Audio mics are the real deal.

I will never profess to ever know as much about mics as you obviously do, or as much as Guosheng does. But I do know one thing: your CM87 doesn't hold a candle to the Warbler I. It's not even close. To my ear, next to the Warbler, the CM87 sounds cheap and thin. Put those two mics side by side (which I have) and you'd never guess your mic is the one that costs $100 more (not counting shipping). I guess you can only polish a turd so much. Going back to your Zappa paraphrase that was sadly deleted by the moderator for being OT, the CM87 is more of a Sears poncho.

Dave, as much as I've been amused by your puzzling screeds in this thread, I've found them educational to a point. Dude, you know so much about microphones but this thing you're doing here and telling us 10 thousand times that a mic of yours is on so and so's album, well, it's starting to get sad. And I think you're better than that. You are probably one of the top 5 mic modders in the world. Guosheng is a mic and capsule designer. We're talking apples and oranges. However, the ultimate difference may be the scalability of his business vs yours.

Sigh.... Perhaps what would be a better use of your down time, instead of trying to OT this thread, is to tap into that massive mic knowledge of yours and design your own proprietary circuits. That I'd love to hear. Or write a book or blog about them. That's something I'd buy/read in a heartbeat. You've been around forever and 3U is obviously an embryonic entity, one that's been selling mics for a fraction of the time you have, but one that is quickly developing a rabid following of early adopters. And as many threads as there are on GS about AA mics, I don't recall reading reactions like the ones we're seeing here, and how telling that is, well, is probably up to one's interpretation.

The fact that Guosheng has used this thread as a user feedback mechanism to improve his offerings in almost real-time is pretty incredible and maybe that's a strategy that could benefit more people in the mic biz. But when it all comes down to brass tacks, there's a "bang for your buck" factor with these amazing sounding 3U Audio mics that gives them an incredible edge... well that and there are no polished turds in the bunch.

Best,
M
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

I can't decide whether I'd rather see the mods delete this ^^^^ for blatant continued spamvertising or leave it for the pure spectacle of it.
Old 1st December 2015
Here for the gear

Hey guys, just in case you don't know, there are no polystyrene or tantalum capacitors in the warbler MKID. The effect on the sound is subtle, if you own a TB12, you have an easy way to test the difference a type of cap can make on sound. I do own an MKID and it sounds fine as is. The capsule has a much greater effect on the sound. Here's a quick photo comparison of the older version of the MKID, based on the latest photo above, there has been a revision. On the left is the polystyrene which is a photo of the Single pattern warbler. I think it was actually one of KVs photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-image.jpg  
Old 1st December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron25 View Post
Hey guys, just in case you don't know, there are no polystyrene or tantalum capacitors in the warbler MKID. The effect on the sound is subtle, if you own a TB12, you have an easy way to test the difference a type of cap can make on sound. I do own an MKID and it sounds fine as is. The capsule has a much greater effect on the sound. Here's a quick photo comparison of the older version of the MKID, based on the latest photo above, there has been a revision. On the left is the polystyrene which is a photo of the Single pattern warbler. I think it was actually one of KVs photos...
can someone explain this..is it good or bad?
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron25 View Post
...just to clarify, you've posted a picture of the cardioid-only Warbler I and the multi-pattern Warbler MKID...they are two different models, though they share the same voicing...the only way to know if there's been an actual "revision" would be open a current production version of the Warbler I to see if the polystyrene has in fact been replaced, or if the two different models simply vary in their circuit component layout to begin with (I see the same polystryrene/no polystyrene differential between the Warbler MKII and the MKIID)...I will inquire with Guosheng for details...

...but more to your point about the capsule's impact on the sound...that is IMHO where the major differential lies when comparing the 3U Audio mics to any of their direct competitors (such as Dave's products)...Guosheng's capsules are IMHO, superior to those other China-based capsule manufacturers...in particular, Guosheng's 34mm 6-micron K67 and his 34mm 6-micron K47 are exceptional in that they come closest to the Neumann originals (Dave's K47 is 32mm and his K67 is 35mm)...and that's not to slack on Guosheng's edge-terminated design either, which he has designed to offer a broad range of voicing variation for the 5 current 3U variants that employ the C12-style design...it's my opinion that Guosheng's capsules are the "secret-sauce" in these 3U Audio offerings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
can someone explain this..is it good or bad?
...my guess is that it's neither, but simply a different choice of component...but let's see what Guosheng has to say...there is no great cost differential reflected in those components, so if in fact there has been any "revision" it wouldn't be to cut cost...remember, for the moment, that these are two different models pictured above, so we will have to wait to see if the current Warbler I reflects that change of component...if anyone has most recently received a cardioid-only Warbler I, then they could take a quick pic and post it, to assist in sorting this out...

Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

OK, I have heard back from Guosheng in reference to the different capacitors being used in the "D" variants...according to him, this is actually a more expensive and higher-grade capacitor than the polystyrene used in the basic cardioid-only Warbler variants...it is part of the upgraded design of the multi-pattern "D" variants...for the time-being this is the format by which those two designs will proceed, in terms of that particular component...

Guosheng also wanted to address his capsule designs...here are his thoughts:
"I'm a capsule man. So at 3U Audio we use differently tuned capsules to create different sounding microphones. A customer asked me, why does the Teal CM-1 (SMD and transformer-less design) sounds so similar to his Stellar CM-5 (tube and transformer design). I said, the difference is in the capsule.

Take the Warbler MKIV and GZ251fet mics for example. Looks like the same C12-style capsule used in the Warbler MKIII, but very different sounding.

Some people rely on circuitry (including components) to get a particular voicing because they do not have the choice to actually tune the preferred sound from the capsule. Since our circuits are not clones of any particular classic design, we achieve those classic voicings via special tuning of our capsules."
Old 2nd December 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I can't decide whether I'd rather see the mods delete this ^^^^ for blatant continued spamvertising or leave it for the pure spectacle of it.
Hahaha

You have got to be kidding me!

1500 posts by a half dozen Chinese mic shills. Are you threatened by a mic designer that actually has a reputation? It's always cool if people find something that works for them. That's a good thing. There is nothing in the title to this post that states warbler fanboys only. It's like the fugly teenage girls that get pissy when the hot one enters the room. We get it, you want to feel special with your little club of minions.
Sad
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummercat View Post
Hahaha

You have got to be kidding me!

1500 posts by a half dozen Chinese mic shills. Are you threatened by a mic designer that actually has a reputation? It's always cool if people find something that works for them. That's a good thing. There is nothing in the title to this post that states warbler fanboys only. It's like the fugly teenage girls that get pissy when the hot one enters the room. We get it, you feel special and you want a little club of minions.
Sad

Your post tells me you have no idea what's been being discussed here.

That's ok. The thread isn't going anywhere, you can always catch up later and have some understanding down the road. Good luck.
Old 2nd December 2015
Here for the gear

The photos that 3rdstone posted of the MKID(1567)has a slightly different layout and the board says REV1 on it. Then Dave started talking about caps and I didn't see any polystyrene or tantalums in the MKID so I just wanted to point that out. The polystyrene is in the MKI though. People get hung up on things like caps. It isn't necessarily better or worse. Didn't mean go tech geek on you guys, for those who don't know poly from Molly, it's all good. I love my MKID, sounds miles above its price point, not surprised by Mr.Zs response.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search