The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 23rd November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
Call me crazy Hay, but did you read the conditions under which the clips were recorded? An ART Tube MP? That very well may be the source of the 'identical distortion' that you hear...
It may well be but the mics sound the same to my ears. Listen to the U87 and then the C414. Seriously? And the C12 against the U67. Really?

Quote:
Again, with both of my quotes from you guys, I'm just pondering.
My mamma once told me that it doesn't hurt to ask...
BTW there is a difference between all of the clips on the Gauge site, I downloaded and listened to all of them in my DAW.
I listened on Focal Spirit Professional and Sennheiser HD598 and while monitoring on headphones is questionable its not THAT questionable Mind you I didn't listen past the male vocal shootouts.

But to change tact for a moment. Considering your comments about the U47 and the graph you posted and that you have invested in a 2B Beauty ...... check out the Galaxy Audio ST-634T. Leave the stock tube in it (Shuguang 12AX7B which is a ECC803), set the pattern switch one click to the right of cardioid (aka halfway between cardioid and hypercardioid) and then thank Kidvybes because he was the one that discovered this beast. Dave would probably post that the stock ECC803 has a plate resistance of 70K whereas the VF14 had 3-4K and therefore the mic couldn't sound anything like a U47, just can't. And the transformer, even though it is a dual bobbin, is a 10:1 whereas the BV8 was 6:1 so the mic definitely couldn't be anything like the U47. And keep an eye out for a Stellar CM-5 on Craigslist or wherever because you do need one of those. And a Teal CM-1 if you find the CM-5 too bright. And a CM-6 if you don't find the CM-5 bright enough. And some sort of c800g clone if you want insanely bright. And when your ears start bleeding you just get a c414B-ULS and have a nice cuppa.
Old 23rd November 2015
Gear Maniac

definitely think a thread would be helpful for clips of these outstanding mics

regarding the possible Sony C800g - how would people feel about a "tight cardioid" or hypercardioid pattern for the cheaper version so that that people in poorly acoustically treated environments can achieve better a nice upfront vocal by rejecting reflections?
Old 23rd November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Speaking of sound clips. I remember when I first tried the Teal CM-1 on acoustic guitar I thought (and posted) that it reminded me of a good SDC (in that application). The Neumann KM84 is my favorite acoustic guitar mic and I decided to compare them. This is me EQing the CM-1 to get it as close as I could to the KM84.

As far as the tracking, I put both mics up, did two takes and panned them hard. So on the KM84 clip, both sides are the KM84 and on the CM-1 clip, both sides are the CM-1.

wow, I prefer the cm-1,is that the teal version right?..I have some Miktek C5's, I wonder if I'd get the same results in comparison
Old 23rd November 2015
What are people using the Black CM-1 for these days after owning it for a while

-
and I still would love to hear a comparison between the Black CM-1 and a TLM103 ...
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
wow, I prefer the cm-1,is that the teal version right?..I have some Miktek C5's, I wonder if I'd get the same results in comparison
Yeah, the Teal.

I have Oktava MK012's and I don't think I could get them as close to the KM84's.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

RE: the Teal CM-1/KM84 comparison. I got them closer this morning with fresh ears. The KM84 in that test is hitting just a little harder than the CM-1 in the 2.6k range. A little medium Q boost there put them closer.

They're obviously totally different mics, but I think it's telling the that KM84's aren't totally outclassing the CM-1, and on acoustic guitar no less, where the KM84 is King of the Castle.

I had been planning on getting a KM84 or two, but I'm pausing that for the moment. I may pick up another Teal CM-1 instead. With the EQ curve I came up with they're quite similar. I bet the CM-1's would kill on piano.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

-
and I still would love to hear a comparison between the Black CM-1 and a TLM103 ...

I really love the black CM-1. It's great on everything. Love mine on acoustic guitar and vocals. Really just a great all round mic.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

-

I really love my black CM-1. It's great on everything. Love mine on acoustic guitar and vocals. Really just a great all round mic.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear
With all this talk of KM84 comparisons, has anyone tried 3U Audio's SDC?
Old 24th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Speaking of sound clips. I remember when I first tried the Teal CM-1 on acoustic guitar I thought (and posted) that it reminded me of a good SDC (in that application). The Neumann KM84 is my favorite acoustic guitar mic and I decided to compare them. This is me EQing the CM-1 to get it as close as I could to the KM84.

As far as the tracking, I put both mics up, did two takes and panned them hard. So on the KM84 clip, both sides are the KM84 and on the CM-1 clip, both sides are the CM-1.
[/SOUNDCLOUD]
Ragan, thanks for the excellent demo. I have the CM1 and like it a lot (especially for the price), but IMO, although it sounds very good here, it does not compete with the KM84 in these recordings. The KM84 has far more detail in the upper mid and higher freqs and a tighter bottom. Overall it is more balanced, more accurate, and captures the full spectrum of the guitar better. This may be due to more proximity effect in the CM1-recording.
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellTones View Post
Ragan, thanks for the excellent demo. I have the CM1 and like it a lot (especially for the price), but IMO, although it sounds very good here, it does not compete with the KM84 in these recordings. The KM84 has far more detail in the upper mid and higher freqs and a tighter bottom. Overall it is more balanced, more accurate, and captures the full spectrum of the guitar better. This may be due to more proximity effect in the CM1-recording.

I mostly agree with you.

Pretty good showing from a sub $150 mic though. My Neumann TLM102 didn't sound that good on acoustic (also a smooth-ish transformer less LDC).

And again, with fresh ears, I boosted a little 2.6k this morning and they got closer than the clips I posted.
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
RE: the Teal CM-1/KM84 comparison. I got them closer this morning with fresh ears. The KM84 in that test is hitting just a little harder than the CM-1 in the 2.6k range. A little medium Q boost there put them closer.

They're obviously totally different mics, but I think it's telling the that KM84's aren't totally outclassing the CM-1, and on acoustic guitar no less, where the KM84 is King of the Castle.

I had been planning on getting a KM84 or two, but I'm pausing that for the moment. I may pick up another Teal CM-1 instead. With the EQ curve I came up with they're quite similar. I bet the CM-1's would kill on piano.
Ragan , again thanks for posting your amazing shootout and demos . Your test shows that there is almost no difference and that they are pretty close to each other . Sounds incredible .
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Maniac

I bought a pair of Teal CM-1's. I've only done some scratch tracks with them so far and am really happy. I threw it on my voice which I wasn't expecting much from. It sounded great. I have some low/mid range heft in my voice and this mic brought the important parts out without sounding harsh.
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
I bought a pair of Teal CM-1's. I've only done some scratch tracks with them so far and am really happy. I threw it on my voice which I wasn't expecting much from. It sounded great. I have some low/mid range heft in my voice and this mic brought the important parts out without sounding harsh.
...IMHO, both of those CM-series mics are surprisingly good at such affordable price-points (you can buy one of each for just a bit more than $200)...if anyone has any doubts as to the quality of the 3U Audio mics, those two mics will quickly dismiss all doubt...when I think of how many people purchase an MXL V67g as their first "serious" LDC purchase, when for a few extra bucks they could get the Black CM-1, there's simply no comparison in sonic performance quality...

...it's a testimony to Guosheng's capsule-voicing skills that transformerless designs like the CM-series mics can have so much heft...impressive, for sure!
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
And perhaps I should clarify, I wasn't expecting much not because I didn't think the mics would be good. On the contrary. But, I bought these specifically for Acoustic Guitar and OH duties. So they out performed my expectations for voice.
Old 25th November 2015
I was considering a matched pair for drum overheads/acoustic guitar (as well as vocal) but I just noticed the Warbler MkID and MkIID both of which offer omni/figure of 8 patterns too. It'd be great if I could also use these as room mics...

Are these 'D' designation mics totally new designs? Or are they Warbler MKI and MKII's but with additional patterns?

Also, does anyone have experience importing these mics to the UK? It'd be nice to estimate any potential import tax.
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
And perhaps I should clarify, I wasn't expecting much not because I didn't think the mics would be good. On the contrary. But, I bought these specifically for Acoustic Guitar and OH duties. So they out performed my expectations for voice.
It's pretty fantastic that we have at least 2 manufacturer's now producing high quality mic's with premium electronics matched to excellent capsules for budget prices. 3U Audio and iSK Pro Audio are at the forefront of this movement right now. nice choices.
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
It's pretty fantastic that we have at least 2 manufacturer's now producing high quality mic's with premium electronics matched to excellent capsules for budget prices. 3U Audio and iSK Pro Audio are at the forefront of this movement right now. nice choices.
Exactly. My next mic purchase will be a difficult choice between a MkID, IID, Or iSK 2B. At which point I'll probably exit the microphone train as all of my needs should be adequately met. Shoot. Maybe I should just get a Black CM-1 and a iSK 2b. Choices. Ugh.
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KommanderKeen View Post
I was considering a matched pair for drum overheads/acoustic guitar (as well as vocal) but I just noticed the Warbler MkID and MkIID both of which offer omni/figure of 8 patterns too. It'd be great if I could also use these as room mics...

Are these 'D' designation mics totally new designs? Or are they Warbler MKI and MKII's but with additional patterns?
...yes, as you stated, the MKID and MKIID are simply multi-pattern versions of the basic cardioid Warblers...and Guosheng will be adding the MKIIID, MKIVD, MKVD and MKVID in the months to come...

...but if cardioid is all you need, then the basic Warbler-series remains the best option...for overhead/room micing, you would of course want the multi-pattern "D" variants...
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

...and speaking of tube-mics, some very good news for those still interested in the original edition CM-5 and CM-6 tube microphones from Stellar...I just heard from Peter at Stellar that he's now planning to re-issue the original designs, but in new classic-styled bodies with upgraded power-supplies...he's decided to go in this direction to better differentiate himself from the onslaught of look-alike tube mics based on the Apex 460 and Nady 1050...quality-control will also be upgraded, as he's moving production to one of the best manufacturing facilities in Asia...yes, the prices will rise some, but they were due to do so even had he continued producing them from the original source (remember the CM-6 was $350 when introduced and $499 more recently)...cost of manufacturing and materials goes up, but most importantly, with these new additions, the quality will also be much improved...
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly. My next mic purchase will be a difficult choice between a MkID, IID, Or iSK 2B. At which point I'll probably exit the microphone train as all of my needs should be adequately met. Shoot. Maybe I should just get a Black CM-1 and a iSK 2b. Choices. Ugh.
That's a tough decision amigo.
Old 25th November 2015
Oh, Monty, Monty, Monty... door one no two no three!

So many great choices is a good problem to have, I'm thinkin.
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...and speaking of tube-mics, some very good news for those still interested in the original edition CM-5 and CM-6 tube microphones from Stellar...I just heard from Peter at Stellar that he's now planning to re-issue the original designs, but in new classic-styled bodies with upgraded power-supplies...he's decided to go in this direction to better differentiate himself from the onslaught of look-alike tube mics based on the Apex 460 and Nady 1050...quality-control will also be upgraded, as he's moving production to one of the best manufacturing facilities in Asia...yes, the prices will rise some, but they were due to do so even had he continued producing them from the original source (remember the CM-6 was $350 when introduced and $499 more recently)...cost of manufacturing and materials goes up, but most importantly, with these new additions, the quality will also be much improved...
Halafrickinluia! That's great news... I need one of each...
Did he happen to mention price points for those? Please let it not be out of my range..please?
Wonder if anyone is interested in a CAD M9 that has like, 3 hours on it...Hmmm...

Back to GZ's mics, how long is it taking them to get to the US on average again?
Old 25th November 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Did he happen to mention price points for those? Please let it not be out of my range..please?
Wonder if anyone is interested in a CAD M9 that has like, 3 hours on it...Hmmm...

Back to GZ's mics, how long is it taking them to get to the US on average again?
I think it took my pair of MKIs about 10 days to get to Tennessee.
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
...too early to say, but I know Peter's going to do his best to keep the prices in the ballpark...once I have more to share, I will update the info...

Quote:
...most of mine arrived in around 10 business days (of course the holiday puts a kink in that flow)...
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

I'm cutting my next EP right now with nothing but a black CM-1 and a Focusrite Scarlett interface just for the fun of seeing what a total investment of of 200 bucks would give me. So far, super impressed with the results. I'll post files when I get further along.

QUOTE=kidvybes;11503464]...IMHO, both of those CM-series mics are surprisingly good at such affordable price-points (you can buy one of each for just a bit more than $200)...if anyone has any doubts as to the quality of the 3U Audio mics, those two mics will quickly dismiss all doubt...when I think of how many people purchase an MXL V67g as their first "serious" LDC purchase, when for a few extra bucks they could get the Black CM-1, there's simply no comparison in sonic performance quality...

...it's a testimony to Guosheng's capsule-voicing skills that transformerless designs like the CM-series mics can have so much heft...impressive, for sure![/QUOTE]
Old 26th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:

-
I use the Black CM-1 for acoustics. Doesn't take much to get a nice tone.
Old 26th November 2015
Quote:
It's interesting that people are attaching the word "heft" to a transformer less mic - that's awesome!
Old 26th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's interesting that people are attaching the word "heft" to a transformer less mic - that's awesome!
To be fair, I was referring to my voice. Not the mic.
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

...Guosheng informed me that the SM-2 shockmount (for the Warbler and GZ-series mics) is now in stock and listed on the website...

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-s-l1600c.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-s-l1600.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search