The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

For those interested in an inexpensive, but very clean and decent tube mic, I just spotted this on the web (reverb dot com):
https://***********/item/1301107-nad...-early-version

...this original version of the Nady TCM1100 was the very same mic as the MXL V77 and the original ADK TC, and was manufactured by 797Audio (Guosheng's former place of employment)...simple single-stage circuit employing a dual-triode tube (only using a single triode) with transformer-coupled output and 797's K67 capsule (same capsule as used by David Bock in his U195 and Rode for the original NT Classic and NT2)...very un-hyped, clean, natural voicing...maybe one of the closest to original Euro-style tube-mic designs ever produced in China back then...nice little tube mic for under $200 (I had 2 of them under the V77 form)...just thought I'd put it out there for anyone who might be interested...
Old 16th November 2015
Here for the gear

Hi,

He did offer at the beginning a GZ47 Tube right? does somebody know how much was it?
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
For those interested in an inexpensive, but very clean and decent tube mic, I just spotted this on the web (reverb dot com):
https://***********/item/1301107-nad...-early-version

...this original version of the Nady TCM1100 was the very same mic as the MXL V77 and the original ADK TC, and was manufactured by 797Audio (Guosheng's former place of employment)...simple single-stage circuit employing a dual-triode tube (only using a single triode) with transformer-coupled output and 797's K67 capsule (same capsule as used by David Bock in his U195 and Rode for the original NT Classic and NT2)...very un-hyped, clean, natural voicing...maybe one of the closest to original Euro-style tube-mic designs ever produced in China back then...nice little tube mic for under $200 (I had 2 of them under the V77 form)...just thought I'd put it out there for anyone who might be interested...
GS messed up your link (on my iMac anyway...)
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guisquil View Post
Hi,

He did offer at the beginning a GZ47 Tube right? does somebody know how much was it?
...I believe he plans to continue offering it...best to reach out to him via email ([email protected])...

...it was $999...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
GS messed up your link (on my iMac anyway...)
...just insert Reverb dot com in place of those asterisks...

Last edited by kidvybes; 16th November 2015 at 03:41 PM..
Old 16th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi,

You don't list your location, but I inquired about that mic, it was cardiod only, and shipped to me in MI it was going to be $815 (That was contacting him via e-mail, and I don't know if that price was because I was ordering 2 others at the same time) Ballpark anyway... *edit* see attached spec sheet and FRs

Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-gz47se-specs.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-0475.png  

Last edited by 3rdstone; 16th November 2015 at 08:05 PM..
Old 16th November 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks guys for the info I sent him a email. I'm going to build one of the U47s from groupdiy and that is about what it would cost so maybe it would be better to buy it from him already built and with a warranty..... Opinions?
Old 16th November 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
It seems like there's too much low end and too much sibilance in his sample. I wonder if the MKII would work? It's hard to tell without the backing track.
Thanks for posting the clips! The sm7 isnt doing me any favors and my lack of good technique isn't helping either. I'll look into the MKII.
Old 16th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info I sent him a email. I'm going to build one of the U47s from groupdiy and that is about what it would cost so maybe it would be better to buy it from him already built and with a warranty..... Opinions?
Warranty? What ...you don't trust your own workmanship? j/k
Just out of curiosity, what 47 variant where you going to build? Or is there only one type, and one way to build it over @ groupdiy?

Opinion? ..nobody should be making that decision but you, that's my opinion.
BTW I posted the specs and FR chart for GZ's tube 47, and the original (supposed) in my edited post above.

*edit* take the original FR chart with a grain of salt, and see kidvybes post below. ..was not trying to be deceiving posting that graph...

Last edited by 3rdstone; 16th November 2015 at 09:06 PM..
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
Just out of curiosity, what 47 variant where you going to build? Or is there only one type, and one way to build it over @ groupdiy?
...there are a few kit variants (Ioaudio MK-47, MK-U47, Poctop D-47, D-EF47, etc) that you can go with from the GDIY forum...add to that the many different capsule/transformer/tube combinations you also have available and the range of variants is quite extensive and costs accelerate quickly......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
BTW I posted the specs and FR chart for GZ's tube 47, and the original (supposed) in my edited post above.
...again, as I addressed earlier, you have to take into consideration that the original U47 (among all of the 50-70's classic tube mics) were designed in an era when recording was done to magnetic tape, where there was measurable loss of top-end response...this is not the case within the current digital domain...so how those response charts translate in actual use from back then until now is quite different...

...I believe that Guosheng has taken that into consideration in tuning his mics to retain a more "vintage" voicing that somewhat mimics the reference recordings of that period, not the clinical response charts...I can tell you that after testing quite a few of the newer clones of the U47, most sound much brighter than the representative recordings of the time...add to that the drying out and hardening of the original PVC diaphragms on well-kept vintage 47s which also darken their response quite noticeably, further confusing the issue...

...IMHO, this is one of those cases where taking the original response chart literally might be deceiving...
Old 16th November 2015
Gear Nut

I edited my post above, please read.

In other news, GZ answered the questions I e-mailed to him, what a patient man.. lolz..
So I have two MK1D mics coming, and I'll have two MK3D mics when their available.. ...now the wait...
Old 17th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by microphonefolk View Post
Hello, the 12AX7 is not a good choice for a microphone tube...especially when used as a single stage plate output circuit. Its plate impedance is too high!!!
ETC.

advancedaudiomicrophones
Thanks very much for the information, Dave
The iSK mic I ordered was specifically ordered for it's 'pushed' tube sound.
I needed a mic like that, and at it's low cost, I purchased it.
Old 17th November 2015
The guitar clip guitarboy posted has me counting my wallet for a teal cm1. I dont know if its his guitar. I could never get that strumming tone with my audio technica at2035 on my dreadnought.
Old 17th November 2015
I also really liked the warbler 1 and 5(from the clips. I don't own one). The 5 sounds very buttery on the baritone voice. How would you differentiate the sound of 1 from 5?
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
The guitar clip guitarboy posted has me counting my wallet for a teal cm1. I dont know if its his guitar. I could never get that strumming tone with my audio technica at2035 on my dreadnought.
Yes, that CM-1 is a great mic. I was playing a Martin D-15 in that clip. Double tracked, panned left and right. Have you experimented with double-tracking and panning right and left?
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
I also really liked the warbler 1 and 5 (from the clips. I don't own one). The 5 sounds very buttery on the baritone voice. How would you differentiate the sound of 1 from 5?
...the MKV is a very unique mic...it is an edge-terminated capsule based design, like the 251, but it's voiced more darkly, much like a ribbon or a good dynamic mic...very smooth and velvety...I would love to hear it on a saxophone or violin...

...the Warbler I is classic center-terminated capsule based (70's U87)...very familiar tone since you've heard the 87 on thousands of recordings over the years...more articulated and upper mid-forward than the MKV...very different sonic profiles for those two mics...
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

I like graphs that I can compare side by side!!! So of the 3U cardioid mics I used Kid's description at the top of the thread and did a bit of print screen, clip n' snip, and paste into a Word doc and then created the attached PDF. Hopefully others might find it helpful. Unfortunately some of the frequency text isn't too legible.
If I get a chance and some ambition I'll try to do the multi-pattern mics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3U Microphones-Cardioid.pdf (678.2 KB, 210 views)
Old 18th November 2015
Gear Nut

I just picked up my warbler mk1 from the post office today. Did a couple 'mic checks' and some talking into it.... All I can say is wow. Makes my 414 sound dull to me. This is a neutral mic, with plenty of harmonic distortion and excellent tone. Excellent air, without sounding brittle. Absolutely love it. And it feels incredibly sturdy. I run this through a gap-73 and the combo is just insane for vocals. Clips to come.
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

...anybody have a clue what microphonefolk is running on about?...

...I believe I posted some sound-clips of the AA CM67se vs. Warbler I, about 20 pages or so back in the thread...

Last edited by kidvybes; 18th November 2015 at 05:35 AM..
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear
Well, after following this thread and listening to a bunch of clips and comparisons I've pulled the trigger on a Warbler MKIV.

I've been looking for a neutral, nicely balanced mic which can serve as a bit of an all-rounder. Not too dark and not too hyped, for vocals and probably some instruments too. Hopefully I've picked the right model.
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can buy the "real" poncho for $965 less the current AES2015 10% discount.

The CM67se comes with a 2 year warrantee which can be extended to 5 years by signing into the AA forum.

You can hear the CM67 on the following vocals:-

Harry Connick Jr THAT WOULD BE ME IT

It was chosen by Harry and Butch Walker as the microphone of choice on the new album except for one cut which was a U47.

It was also used to record both Hilary and Charles from Lady Antebelum on their new album 747. Butch Walker also used it on the Fallout Boys last record.

It has also been used to record Bryan Ferry, Peter Frampton, UB40 and Lee Ann Womack in 2015.

We just sent two CM67se microphones to Sweetwater Studios in Fort Wayne.

Cheers, Dave
aamicrophones.com
Dave. You gotta stop trying to advertise here.

It's getting...weird...

Didn't we already go through the OEM stuff awhile back or am I having déjà vu?

Last edited by Ragan; 18th November 2015 at 08:47 AM..
Old 18th November 2015
Here for the gear

This is my favorite line:

Quote:
You can buy the "real" poncho .......

Cheers, Dave
aamicrophones.com
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Am View Post
I just picked up my warbler mk1 from the post office today. Did a couple 'mic checks' and some talking into it.... All I can say is wow. Makes my 414 sound dull to me. This is a neutral mic, with plenty of harmonic distortion and excellent tone. Excellent air, without sounding brittle. Absolutely love it. And it feels incredibly sturdy. I run this through a gap-73 and the combo is just insane for vocals. Clips to come.
Which model of 414 do you have? .
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Ragan ! I enjoyed your soundcloud clips of the mics , well done . They sound great on your kit . Did you add any compression at all ? or is the mic just as for the drum tracks .
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Am View Post
Did a couple 'mic checks' and some talking into it.... All I can say is wow. Makes my 414 sound dull to me. This is a neutral mic, with plenty of harmonic distortion and excellent tone.
I don't think of harmonic distortion when I think of a "neutral" mic. I also don't think of any of the 414's I've heard as "dull". A bit unexciting maybe, but the ones I've used have been fairly on the 'bright' side. I don't know that I'd want a mic that made a 414 sound "dull" in comparison... but who am I to say?
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaulson1217 View Post
Which model of 414 do you have? .
c414b xls.
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict
Cool, that's what I have and lately I've been considering selling it to fund a pair of mk1d's. I've been wary, though, because of not being able to try them beforehand. I look forward to hearing the clips you record!
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Ragan ! I enjoyed your soundcloud clips of the mics , well done . They sound great on your kit . Did you add any compression at all ? or is the mic just as for the drum tracks .
Thanks. I will check, I'm not totally sure. Sometimes I track through a little 1176.
Old 19th November 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Dave. You gotta stop trying to advertise here.

It's getting...weird...

Didn't we already go through the OEM stuff awhile back or am I having déjà vu?
Yes, I gotta delete that post Dave... Seems pretty much a sideways move to "OT" and spamvertising territory.
Old 19th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
This is the most informative thread I’ve ever seen…

I’d like to buy a new LDC for recording vocals. At the moment I have only 2 microphones, Kel HM-7U and HM-3C. For vocals, I’ve been using mostly HM-7U, sometimes HM-3C for backing vocals (and also for ac.gtr).
When I bought these Kel mics and tested these for the first time (2 or 3 years ago), I was actually quite disappointed how my voice sounded with with HM-7U after using my previous mics like AKG-C3000, Octava MK-319, TLM 103 that I unfortunately didn’t have anymore. So for some reason my voice / HM-7U is not a good combo.

I’ve been reading this thread and listened most of the audio examples and I now have two possible 3U Audio candidates in mind…but first I would really appreciate if anyone could take a minute and listen to my voice on the full mix below and / or attached dry voice sample, which doesn’t have any processing, just my voice > HM-7U into GAP Pre Mark 2 > Apogee Duet.

thank you in advance

I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and order Warbler MK IV. I sent an email to Guosheng yesterday and he replied almost immediately.

I'm just wondering that is MK IV "the mic" for recording also ac. gtr? Better than my Kel HM-7U or HM-3c? (To my ears HM-3 sounds much better than HM-7 on ac. guitar) Or could one of those CM-1's be a good choise? I'm going to sell one or both Kel's anyway (if I'm happy with this/these 3Uaudio mics.) Or any other inexpensive mic that would be good for recording acoustic gtr, maybe some SCD?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by iMacCartney; 20th November 2015 at 01:19 PM..
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and order Warbler MK IV. I sent an email to Guosheng yesterday and he replied almost immediately.

I'm just wondering that is MK IV "the mic" for recording also ac. gtr? Better than my Kel HM-7U or HM-3c? (To my ears HM-3 sounds much better than HM-7 on ac. guitar) Or could one of those CM-1's be a good choise? I'm going to sell one or both Kel's anyway (if I'm happy with this/these 3Uaudio mics. Or any other inexpensive mic that would be good for recording acoustic gtr, maybe some SCD?

Any thoughts?
Finger style or with a pick? A lot of the cheaper, and even more expensive SDCs are bright which can serve finger style but can exacerbate pickiness, especially if the pick is thin and the strings are light.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search