The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Nice playing, man! I think the Warbler has more clarity. I can't wait to get mine! Should be here in a few days.
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Nice playing, man!
Thanks
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Well boys, My Warbler I arrived today. Ooh la la...me really likes it on vocals so far!
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well boys, My Warbler I arrived today. Ooh la la...me really likes it on vocals so far!
...nice, hefty build on that bad-boy, no?...solid with weight...quality of the build is impressive!...

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1670.jpg  

Last edited by kidvybes; 15th May 2015 at 11:40 PM..
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

ya buddy. High quality. Both of these mics are top notch. I really like the weight this Wabler I adds to my vocals. Plenty of top end without sounding too dark or too bright. Just perfect to my ears. I scored both of these mics (CM-1 and Warbler I) for a grand total of $390. What an unbelievable find.
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Really solid feeling. And sounding.
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I scored both of these mics (CM-1 and Warbler I) for a grand total of $390. What an unbelievable find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Really solid feeling. And sounding.
...seriously!...I believe the Warbler-series are really important in setting a new standard of performance for LDC mics under $300...making me re-think the dollars I have locked up in my mic collection, no joke!

...this is one of those rare situations that you can buy a complete, high-quality LDC FET microphone with a quality K67, K47 or C12 capsule and the appropriate corresponding transformer for less than the cost of modding a lesser-quality microphone......crazy!

...I also think that the man behind these 3U Audio mics really deserves to be successful with these products...he obviously knows what he's doing, and on top of that, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy...

Last edited by kidvybes; 15th May 2015 at 11:53 PM..
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Right on. He could probably double the price of these mics and they'd still be a good deal, IMHO. I don't see how he can keep prices this low on a long term basis and turn a profit. I'm considering just selling some of my other mics now (my collection of Audio Technicas for example. Not bad mics at all, but these 3U mics are on another level) That will keep the wife happy!
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm considering just selling some of my other mics now (my collection of Audio Technicas for example. Not bad mics at all, but these 3U mics are on another level) That will keep the wife happy!
...yep!...I agree...these mics really make you think about what do you really need to make a good recording...you're thinking about selling your AT mics, and I'm considering selling a couple of my DIY clones (I already sold my Lewitt LCT540 and Studio Projects CS5)...these Warbler-series mics make consolidating the mic closet a logical move...who'da thunk?

Last edited by kidvybes; 16th May 2015 at 03:58 PM..
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

For sure. I only really need two mics for what I'm doing. Just need a good vocal mic and a good acoustic guitar mic. I've been playing around with the Warbler I more this evening. Really, really nice on vocals. I'm really feeling like the Teal CM-1 is my fav on acoustic guitar and the Warbler I is my favorite on vocals, just as these mics were described. I see that he's marketing the CM-1 as an acoustic guitar mic. I think he's spot on. The CM-1 scoops out just enough mids in a nice way on the acoustic and the transformerless design really does a nice job of capturing the motion of the strum. These two mics are sort of a really nice yin/yang combo if you ask me. Don't quote me on this, but I think my mic buying will come to an end for a while after acquiring these two mics.

Last edited by guitarboy94; 16th May 2015 at 04:48 AM..
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Shhhhh!
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Kidding of course.

Mostly...
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

...anyone who might be interested in the Teal CM-1 with the C12 edge-terminated capsule or the Black CM-1 with the K67 center-terminated capsule as discussed previously in this thread, there's a great opportunity to grab one on eBay, only $125 each (int'l shipping included)...that's a $24 savings over the previous eBay BIN price:

Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings3U Audio Teal CM1 Condenser Microphone Acoustic Guitar Vocal Instrument Pro Mic | eBay

Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicingshttp://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Audio-BLA...-/111474880452

Last edited by kidvybes; 16th May 2015 at 02:51 PM..
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Just sold my entire collection of AT mics to a friend! Bye bye to the AT4047, AT4033 and AT4040.

I've never been sentimental about gear, but there's something really special going about these 3U mics. The whole process of having contact with the designer, the amazing prices and getting these when they first came out before everyone else. It sort of feels like the designer is a buddy who designed these specifically for my needs as a gift and only asked for reimbursement on what it cost him to make it. Know what I'm saying? I've demo'd a LOT of mics over the last 5 years. I feel like these mics are about as good as gets under the $1200 pricepoint, perhaps even higher.

Man, I'm like a kid on Christmas morning with these two mics! Can you sense that? LOL

Last edited by guitarboy94; 16th May 2015 at 04:32 PM..
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Addict

The Worbler I sounds as smooth as milk to me - I like it the best out of the whole bunch. Wondering how it will sound on an acoustic, compared to the Teal CM 1 ..... Mr. Skelton - do you think you could whip up a quick comparison of those two - that would be really appreciated!Cheers, K.
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva View Post
The Worbler I sounds as smooth as milk to me - I like it the best out of the whole bunch. Wondering how it will sound on an acoustic, compared to the Teal CM 1 ..... Mr. Skelton - do you think you could whip up a quick comparison of those two - that would be really appreciated!Cheers, K.
You can hear it on acoustic in my clip from the other day, but it's not compared to the CM-1 there.
Old 16th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
You can hear it on acoustic in my clip from the other day, but it's not compared to the CM-1 there.
Thanks, yes I did and it's good - but I was hoping to hear some double tracked examples...
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, I'll try to post some examples comparing the CM-1 to the Warbler-1 on acoustic this weekend. The best way I can describe the differences is that the Teal CM-1 has a crisper, faster tonality on acoustic with a slightly scooped midrange that I think helps the acoustic fit nicely in a big mix, whereas the Warbler has a meatier, but less crisp tonality on acoustic. I'd be more inclined to use the Warbler on an acoustic in a more stripped down mix. Both are great depending on what you're going for. Gotta run now. Got stuff to do this afternoon...
Old 17th May 2015
Gear Nut

Hey kidvybes, any thoughts on how these mics compare to a Stellar CM6? I know that's probably an apples/oranges comparison but I know you're a fan of the Stellar as am I. I sold my CM6 a couple years back and miss it but I don't think I can justify the funds to replace it anytime in the near future.
Old 17th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gears View Post
Hey kidvybes, any thoughts on how these mics compare to a Stellar CM6? I know that's probably an apples/oranges comparison but I know you're a fan of the Stellar as am I. I sold my CM6 a couple years back and miss it but I don't think I can justify the funds to replace it anytime in the near future.
...yeah, definately apples (FET mics) to oranges (tube mics), but they share the quality-per-dollar quotient...and they share that "3-dimensional" sonic stage quality, a characteristic not often found in mics in this lower price category...

...the CM-1 (Teal or Black) are both very good at their current $125 (shipped) price-point...but it's the Warbler-series mics that are really impressing me most...I have been A/B'ing the two Warbler FET mics I currently have with some of my high-end tube-clones, and they hang!...and we're talking major dollar differentials (thousands to hundreds)...

...I ordered a 3rd one with the edge-terminated C12-style capsule and T14-type transformer...I would not have any qualms about choosing one of these for vocal duties, even over some of my other tube-mic options...I have been searching for affordable, high-quality FET mics (with output-coupled transformers!) for quite some time...most of the good ones (Miktek, Mojave, Bock) go for $700-1000...

...that's what is really impressing me most is the quality of sonic reproduction that these under-$300 Warbler-series mics offer...and then add the switchable 3-voicing option, plus low-cut and pad switching...

...I honestly believe the Warbler-series are a game-changer at under $300...pick your flavor...classic U87, classic Fet 47, or 3 variants in the C12 thru ELAM 251 range...BOOM!
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1743.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1745.jpg  

Last edited by kidvybes; 17th May 2015 at 10:10 PM..
Old 18th May 2015
Here for the gear
Well after hearing all the samples I had to pull the trigger and order a Warbler 1, Can't wait to give this baby a spin
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...yeah, definately apples (FET mics) to oranges (tube mics), but they share the quality-per-dollar quotient...and they share that "3-dimensional" sonic stage quality, a characteristic not often found in mics in this lower price category...

...the CM-1 (Teal or Black) are both very good at their current $125 (shipped) price-point...but it's the Warbler-series mics that are really impressing me most...I have been A/B'ing the two Warbler FET mics I currently have with some of my high-end tube-clones, and they hang!...and we're talking major dollar differentials (thousands to hundreds)...

...I ordered a 3rd one with the edge-terminated C12-style capsule and T14-type transformer...I would not have any qualms about choosing one of these for vocal duties, even over some of my other tube-mic options...I have been searching for affordable, high-quality FET mics (with output-coupled transformers!) for quite some time...most of the good ones (Miktek, Mojave, Bock) go for $700-1000...

...that's what is really impressing me most is the quality of sonic reproduction that these under-$300 Warbler-series mics offer...and then add the switchable 3-voicing option, plus low-cut and pad switching...

...I honestly believe the Warbler-series are a game-changer at under $300...pick your flavor...classic U87, classic Fet 47, or 3 variants in the C12 thru ELAM 251 range...BOOM!
Very cool, thanks. 3U makes a tube mic as well, right?
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
3U makes a tube mic as well, right?
...yes, right now he offers two tube mics, a 47-inspired model ($599) and a high-grade 67-inspired model ($1299)...that GZ67 (pics below) looks to be a serious microphone (NOS Telefunken EF86 tube, Lundahl tranny and a big-azz WIMA output capacitor!)...but I'm good on tube mics myself, so I'm not likely to get to test that bad-boy...

...looking forward to the Warbler V when it arrives!
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-2013125145537774.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-201312514561427.jpg  
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...yes, right now he offers two tube mics, a 47-inspired model ($599) and a high-grade 67-inspired model ($1299)...that GZ67 (pics below) looks to be a serious microphone (NOS Telefunken EF86 tube, Lundahl tranny and a big-azz WIMA output capacitor!)...but I'm good on tube mics myself, so I'm not likely to get to test that bad-boy...

...looking forward to the Warbler V when it arrives!
Ah, I saw the GZ67 on his site but missed the 47. I would guess that's probably more comparable to the CM6 I was asking you about previously.
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, I saw the GZ67 on his site but missed the 47. I would guess that's probably more comparable to the CM6 I was asking you about previously.
...or somewhere in the middle of those two...K67 capsule and EF86 tube (GZ67) actually correspond more to the Stellar CM-6's topology...

Last edited by kidvybes; 18th May 2015 at 05:46 AM..
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Okay, So here's another vocal comparison I put together comparing the Teal CM-1 to the Warbler I on my lead vocals. Teal CM-1 is more airy and the Warbler I is beefier in the mids with a more rolled of top end. I used the V1 setting on the Warbler.
Attached Files

Chicago Warbler 1 Vocal Sample.mp3 (1.91 MB, 4606 views)

chicaog Teal CM-1 Vocal Sample.mp3 (1.91 MB, 4487 views)

Old 18th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Okay, So here's another vocal comparison I put together comparing the Teal CM-1 to the Warbler I on my lead vocals. Teal CM-1 is more airy and the Warbler I is beefier in the mids with a more rolled of top end. I used the V1 setting on the Warbler.
Nice song. I like the beefier mids of the Warbler for your lower notes but not for the higher. The neutral mids of the Teal suits those better. Ideally you would alternate between the mics when mixing to use the best of both. What do you think ?
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
Nice song. I like the beefier mids of the Warbler for your lower notes but not for the higher. The neutral mids of the Teal suits those better. Ideally you would alternate between the mics when mixing to use the best of both. What do you think ?
Thanks. Yes, I see what you're saying. I don't know, when it comes to recording I try to just pick a mic and roll with it and not overthink it. I didn't do much processing on the vocals. I can always add in EQ where it needs it with either mic.

I've decided that I'm selling the CM-1 and keeping the Warbler I. The more I play around with the Warbler I the more I feel like I can tailor/EQ that mic to meet all of my recording needs on nearly every source I've tried. The Teal CM-1 is a fantastic mic, however. PM me if you want it. It's pretty much brand new.

Last edited by guitarboy94; 19th May 2015 at 02:21 AM..
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear

Arg you guys are soo convincing. I just ordered a Warbler 1. This is awesome, a few months ago, I wrote a post on my selling of my U87. I could not justify keeping them after buy the Rode Classic II, when I'd even use other mics even.. That being said, there were things where I liked its neutrality. At this price, its definitely justifiable and a great deal.
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for those!!! I think I just ordered the last Warbler I from this month's batch.....can't wait!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search