The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Okay, I will try to download his file. I will upload some raw tracks this weekend. The acoustic guitar in this song was not recorded by the CM-1. I believe I used my Oktava 319. But yes, I will get some raw tracks loaded with my acoustic guitar as well. So far, I'm not sure that I would call the CM-1 a dark mic. I think the description from the company is spot on. Sounds airy and shimmery, yet big and smooth at the same time like a quality C12 mic should sound. Maybe sounds a little scooped in the mids on my tenor voice, but I do like having a variety of mics depending on what the song is calling for. This is the only C12 style mic I own. I ordered the Warbler I directly from the owner for $270. I will do some tests with that mic on this same song to compare when it arrives.
Old 8th May 2015
Here for the gear

so the warbler mkI have a smoother top end than MKII ? even with the sibilance deal ?
im interested by the mkII but there is none demo audio. please kidvybes can you make even a simple vo warbler MKvs MKII
the body of the mic (warbler) is a thin body ?
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopDog View Post
so the warbler mkI have a smoother top end than MKII ? even with the sibilance deal ?
im interested by the mkII but there is none demo audio. please kidvybes can you make even a simple vo warbler MKvs MKII
the body of the mic (warbler) is a thin body ?
...yes, IMHO, the Warbler II has a bit more crisp top-end, great if you want a vocal track to cut thru a busy mix...a bit more upper-mid focused than the Warbler I, due to the K47-style capsule...still very nice and definately 47-ish...

...as you requested:
https://app.box.com/s/b6xljyou2jidva1un3vkkg31dmtmmprx
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
The Teal CM-1 reminded me of the "dark" branch of the c414 family so I did a shootout and you can hear the results. I gain matched the files as the c414 required a 12dB boost.
Interesting! What I'm noticing is that shootouts can be really decieving. The CM-1 sounds completely different on my voice. I think it comes across as brighter and airier on my take, but my voice is more in the Paul Simon range. What I'm noticing is that both you and Kidv have more baritone type of voices, especially when talking. That can make it easy to think that it's the mic that sounds that warm. Consequently, I've noticed how manufacturer's and mic modders also tend to use baritone male singers/crooner style on their samples as well to make their mics come across as warmer sounding. LOL

Last edited by guitarboy94; 8th May 2015 at 04:16 PM..
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

...I think if you go back to that sound-file comparing the Warbler I and the Teal CM-1, you can really hear the difference in "warmth & size" of the two mics...the CM-1's C12 capsule, with it's slightly scooped mids, brings both a more prominent low-mid push and a top-end sparkle...I'm anxious to hear the CM-1 used in pairs for overheads on drums, as well as acoustic guitar...it should prove to be pretty versatile on multiple sources...

...and that same C12 capsule combined with 3U's 12:1 ratio T14-type transformer in the upcoming Warbler III-V variants should prove to be really interesting based on the FET Teal CM-1's sound...
Old 8th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...yes, IMHO, the Warbler II has a bit more crisp top-end, great if you want a vocal track to cut thru a busy mix...a bit more upper-mid focused than the Warbler I, due to the K47-style capsule...still very nice and definately 47-ish...

...as you requested:
https://app.box.com/s/b6xljyou2jidva1un3vkkg31dmtmmprx
thank you ! look really interesting, i did a little test. I put some stems of songs (many genre) with your voice over. none eq /none comp, all of that for hearing how the raw voice sit in the mix

But like you said in a busy mix, the warblerII sit easier than warblerI.

other thing i see "free shipping" what was your carrier (ems ? dhl? ups ?) i ask this because with some carrier we can "escape" to the import duties & taxes .
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
...the two files definitely sound very similar...I think I still prefer the CM-1 over the C414...the articulation is very clear and balanced sounding on the CM-1...
My thoughts as well. I hear a bit more low-mids with the C414 EB (with Teflon capsule) but would choose the articulation of the Teal CM-1 (or a brighter C414) for vocals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
So far, I'm not sure that I would call the CM-1 a dark mic. I think the description from the company is spot on. Sounds airy and shimmery, yet big and smooth at the same time like a quality C12 mic should sound. Maybe sounds a little scooped in the mids on my tenor voice...
I concur. The CM-1 is not dark. I can appreciate that label being used for that c414 and it's offspring but it would probably be more accurate to call the highs on those mics neutral.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Here's something interesting. I've never thought that preamps made a big difference, but when I run my CM-1 through my Tonebeast with the Tone button engaged on the steel tranny and 731 OPAMP with some saturation, the mids on this mic really fatten up. I know this thread isn't about preamps, but I've been continually impressed with the way I can manipulate the sonic character of my mics with the Warm Tonebeast. Now I suppose Kidv will want me to post samples of this mic through that preamp as well! LOL What I really should do is just run this mic through the transparent preamps on my Forte interface.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's something interesting. I've never thought that preamps made a big difference, but when I run my CM-1 through my Tonebeast with the Tone button engaged on the steel tranny and 731 OPAMP with some saturation, the mids on this mic really fatten up. I know this thread isn't about preamps, but I've been continually impressed with the way I can manipulate the sonic character of my mics with the Warm Tonebeast. Now I suppose Kidv will want me to post samples of this mic through that preamp as well! LOL What I really should do is just run this mic through the transparent preamps on my Forte interface.
That "Tone" button will fatten up any mic. And roll off the highs substantially. Really useful on bright mics or sources.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here's something interesting. I've never thought that preamps made a big difference, but...
It's now become fashionable to say that preamps only account for a 5% change in sound. I'd say that's accurate when using some (not all) discrete opamps rather than a (transparent) IC opamp. Its the rest of the preamp circuit that often really varies, particularly the servos in a Hardy/Jensen and the transformers in the API and Neve.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopDog View Post
other thing i see "free shipping" what was your carrier (ems ? dhl? ups ?) i ask this because with some carrier we can "escape" to the import duties & taxes .
...as I remember, he can offer a couple of shipping options, so it's best to correspond directly with him when you place your order, and if you have a preference, he may be able to comply...my order was shipped with a Chinese carrier I was not familiar with...
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Here you go Kidv. A dry vocal take with the CM-1 in my Pre-73. Same take as in my original example, minus processing. Keep in mind I did this in about 20 seconds. Not exactly one of my finest takes, but you get the point! LOL

I still need to put up some takes of my acoustic guitar.
Attached Files

Crashed Airplane Dry Vocal Sample.mp3 (862.3 KB, 5483 views)

Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
It's now become fashionable to say that preamps only account for a 5% change in sound. I'd say that's accurate when using some (not all) discrete opamps rather than a (transparent) IC opamp. Its the rest of the preamp circuit that often really varies, particularly the servos in a Avery and the transformers in the API and Neve.
...yes, when tracking vocals, I almost always prefer to choose preamps that are transformer-based, particularly when chaining with a FET-based mic (transformer-less)...and there's no doubt that even when run on a "clean" setting, these transformer-based preamps impart some pleasant harmonic content that can add some body, even to mics that aren't in need of reinforcement..

Quote:
Here you go Kidv. A dry vocal take with the CM-1 in my Pre-73. Same take as in my original example, minus processing. Keep in mind I did this in about 20 seconds. Not exactly one of my finest takes, but you get the point! LOL
...thanks, that's easier to hear how the CM-1 translates on your voice...and yes, I agree, the detail and top-end articulation is more present on your tenor voice than it was on some of the previous VO samples...definitely does not need any boosting to get it to cut...as you said, pretty well-balanced in the raw form...

Last edited by kidvybes; 8th May 2015 at 11:46 PM..
Old 9th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
...as I remember, he can offer a couple of shipping options, so it's best to correspond directly with him when you place your order, and if you have a preference, he may be able to comply...my order was shipped with a Chinese carrier I was not familiar with...
Ok thanks.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Kidv,

Here's a quick acoustic take I just did with a Martin D-15. I double tracked it and panned each take hard left and hard right.
Attached Files

CM-1 Acoustic test.mp3 (1.00 MB, 5320 views)

Last edited by guitarboy94; 10th May 2015 at 03:35 AM..
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Dang...I should have edited it a little before posting. Oh well. Sorry for the nonsense.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

...actually, the fact that the Teal CM-1 is slightly scooped in the mids might be a plus when combining that acoustic track with a vocal performance...if your vocal track has the mid-presence to sit well with the CM-1 guitar track, it eliminates the need to EQ out space in the guitar track for the vocal to cut thru...I think you said you ordered the Warbler I too, so it might be interesting to hear a your vocal recorded with that mic, and then combined with the CM-1 on AG...they may very well compliment each other for this application...

...of the two AG tracks, I think I prefer the track recorded thru the Tonebeast pre...
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Woops, didn't mean to delete the Tonebeast take. Here it is again.

Yes, you are are right Kidv. These are the type of acoustic tracks that sit really well in a big mix. I find that I often look for a big, fat acoustic guitar sound, but when it comes mix time, I end up scooping out a LOT of mids.
Attached Files

CM-1 Warm.mp3 (706.2 KB, 5177 views)

Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

My Warbler I is on the way. I will do similar tests and will post samples when it arrives. It just shipped on Friday. My CM-1 took about 10 days to get here. Yes, I am addicted to the thrill of waiting for microphones to arrive in the mail! I keep telling myself that after this one last mic arrives, this is it! No more! LOL

Last edited by guitarboy94; 11th May 2015 at 04:49 PM..
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
My Warbler I is on the way. I will do similar tests and will post samples when it arrives. It just shipped on Friday. My CM-1 took about 10 days to get here. Yes, I am addicted to the thrill of waiting for microphones to arrive in the mail! I keep telling myself that after this one last mic arrives, this is it! No more! LOL
Uh Oh!!!

...then you may not want to read this post (spoiler alert!)

...I just inquired about the progress of the C12 capsule-based Warbler series...Guosheng replied that the first of the 3 variants was completed and included pics of the circuit...along with the edge-terminated C12-style capsule, the Warbler V features a 12:1 T14-style dual-bobbin transformer (much like the historic AKG C12 and Telefunken ELAM 251)...so this will be the first of 3 solid-state variants of C12/251-inspired FET mics...

...not that you'd want or need one of these...
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-w5-pcb-1.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-w5-pcb-2.jpg  
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

OMG Kidv...you're killing my marriage, man!
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

...I tried something interesting today...I had to set up a mic for a client today and I thought it would make for a revealing comparison to one of the 3U Warbler-series microphones...

...the mic that was requested by my client is an Ioaudio MK-47, which is a GroupDIY U47 clone microphone (pics below)...the MK-47 employs a full-size BV.08 reproduction transformer, a pair of NOS RCA 408a (gold-pin) pentode tubes, and an HK-47 capsule skinned by capsule builder Eric Heiserman...the MK-47 equates easily to a $2K+ U47-style clone...more info here:
MK47 PCB tube mic kit - build thread

...I chose to compare it on VO (my New-Yawk talk) with the 3U Warbler II which also employs a K47-style capsule and BV.08 transformer, but is a FET-type rather than tube-microphone...

...I think the comparison is rather striking, considering the vast differential in the cost of the two mics ($2K+ vs. $299)...the Warbler II comes in at 1:38 of the recorded file:

TO LISTEN TO THE SOUNDFILE, CLICK HERE: https://app.box.com/s/8gtcrdcx85s2784mmlyklu6f45135gy4

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-20150513_163901.jpg  

Last edited by kidvybes; 15th May 2015 at 01:18 AM..
Old 14th May 2015
Here for the gear
Oh man I was looking at a used at4050 to be my all arounder till I read this tread and heard the samples now I'm torn between the black and teal CM1 combo or the warbler 1 or wait for the other warbler variations to come out what to do
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior619 View Post
Oh man I was looking at a used at4050 to be my all arounder till I read this tread and heard the samples now I'm torn between the black and teal CM1 combo or the warbler 1 or wait for the other warbler variations to come out what to do
For the cost of a used 4050, you could get the CM1 combo and a Warbler.

Last edited by ShellTones; 14th May 2015 at 07:15 AM..
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Got my Warbler I today. I had someone coming over for a mix session and it was all I could do to throw it up for a few minutes beforehand. Just squeezed in a brief acoustic guitar test but I was impressed. I'll get to spend more time with it over the next few days I think.
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I tried something interesting today...I had to set up a mic for a client today and I thought it would make for a revealing comparison to one of the 3U Warbler-series microphones...

...the mic that was requested by my client is an Ioaudio MK-47, which is a GroupDIY U47 clone microphone (pics below)...the MK-47 employs a full-size BV.08 reproduction transformer, a pair of NOS RCA 408a (gold-pin) pentode tubes, and an HK-47 capsule skinned by capsule builder Eric Heiserman...the MK-47 equates easily to a $2K+ U47-style clone...more info here:
MK47 PCB tube mic kit - build thread

...I chose to compare it on VO (my New-Yawk talk) with the 3U Warbler II which also employs a K47-style capsule and BV.08 transformer, but is a FET-type rather than tube-microphone...

...I think the comparison is rather striking, considering the vast differential in the cost of the two mics ($2K+ vs. $299)...the Warbler II comes in at 2:02 of the recorded file:

Soundfile: https://app.box.com/s/8gtcrdcx85s2784mmlyklu6f45135gy4

Wow. That is pretty striking. Especially considering their price difference and the fact that the Warbler II is FET.

BTW, the Warbler II comes in at more like 1:40.
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Here is a quick test I did with a Warbler I and an AKG 414b-ULS. In the Warbler I clip, both guitars are tracked with the Warbler I, in the 414 clip, they're both the 414.

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-warbler.414-test.jpg  

Last edited by Ragan; 15th May 2015 at 01:05 AM..
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Here is a quick test I did with a Warbler I and an AKG 414b-ULS. In the Warbler I clip, both guitars are tracked with the Warbler I, in the 414 clip, they're both the 414.
REPOSTED FILES:

...interesting comparison...somewhat similar, but I prefer the Warbler I...on the picked portion of the clip, I can hear the guitar's sustain more clearly...pretty impressive at about half the cost of a pre-owned C414B-ULS...

Last edited by kidvybes; 15th May 2015 at 01:19 AM..
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah sorry. It wasn't letting me upload. Got them in the original post now.
Old 15th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
REPOSTED FILES:

...interesting comparison...somewhat similar, but I prefer the Warbler I...on the picked portion of the clip, I can hear the guitar's sustain more clearly...pretty impressive at about half the cost of a pre-owned C414B-ULS...
Just came back to the clips. I hear what you mean and I prefer the Warbler I too. It has a nice reach into the sound. By comparison, the 414b-ULS sounds maybe a little veiled? That's something I've noticed with my 414's. And it's actually something I like in a lot of cases. Here I prefer the more 'classic' sound of the Warbler I. I'm half tempted to go rent the vintage U87 I've used a good bit just to do an A/B. Don't really have time to do that at the moment though. I'm very interested to try the Warbler I on electric guitars and vocals.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search