The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 10th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...can you confirm the threaded part extends upward at the base like the pic of the CM-1 swivel-mount I posted above?...Thanks!
My Samson mount's threading doesn't extend beyond the circle part, I don't think it comes up high enough before the body touches the outer lip of the circle. I know it doesn't fit my ADK Vienna (mkI) because the threading on the Vienna is recessed into the body, and I remember wondering to myself if the CM-1 shared the same body as the Vienna because they looked the same. Never measured them though.

If I take the bottom body-cap screw off the Vienna it will fit, but then I have to remember both to be careful when I take it off the mount and where I put the body-cap screw, so I just use the squeeze clamp style mount for that mic instead..

Last edited by downrazor11; 10th October 2015 at 11:28 PM..
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

...appreciate the info, fellas. I sent a request to cancel the order for the Samson ps01. I'll stick with the stock clip for now.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Head
This is what I'm currently using for my Teal CM1:

Titan AV shockmount

Titan AV Microphone Shock Mount Holder | eBay

It does not fit the Warbler series bodies.

You can make it sit quite a fair bit higher up than what's pictured:
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-cm1sm.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-_57.jpg  
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Head
A plus is that it will also fit pencil condensers, and several zoom handheld recorders.

The external ring frame is really beefy and strong (not sure what it's made from), the interior frame surrounding is plastic and the female thread that accepts the mic stand is metal
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ronin View Post
This is what I'm currently using for my Teal CM1:

Titan AV shockmount

Titan AV Microphone Shock Mount Holder | eBay

It does not fit the Warbler series bodies.

You can make it sit quite a fair bit higher up than what's pictured:
That's a really great price for that mount (for those in Australia)...I've only seen that mount for quite a bit more here:
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple VoicingsQM 20 Pro Shock Mount 1 1 75" 25 45mm Mic Range New Design | eBay
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

FYI,

There's a 3U Audio Warbler II up for sale in the Gearslutz classifieds at a discounted price.

Last edited by guitarboy94; 13th October 2015 at 06:47 PM..
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Head

This arrived the other day. I must have emailed Guosheng at just the right time because he said I could buy it after it was built and it passed some tests. At the time I contacted him he was waiting on the new body etchings to be completed, but had all the other components. I don't know how many were made.

I really like the overall smoothness of it relative to the Warbler I. It's somewhat similar to the Warbler I in voicing 3, then gets smoother from there. I haven't had much time to try it, but I like what I've heard so far.

For the record; I've only used it on acoustic guitar....for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-warbler_mkiid_reduced.jpg  
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacintosh13 View Post
This arrived the other day. I must have emailed Guosheng at just the right time because he said I could buy it after it was built and it passed some tests. At the time I contacted him he was waiting on the new body etchings to be completed, but had all the other components. I don't know how many were made.

I really like the overall smoothness of it relative to the Warbler I. It's somewhat similar to the Warbler I in voicing 3, then gets smoother from there. I haven't had much time to try it, but I like what I've heard so far.

Damn! Didn't think we'd see one of those bad boys in the wild for a while.
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Me too. I thought I'd ask Guosheng on a whim soon after the the MKID came out because I wanted a MKII anyway. He produced the goods.

I had to wait a little for testing, just looked back through the emails and he said he only had two at the time, the other one was for testing....I hope it continues to pass the tests..... Sounds good to me, I'm not that concerned.

He said more should be available late October.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Quote:

What the? That was fast!!!!
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
I thought I'd ask Guosheng on a whim soon after the the MKID came out because I wanted a MKII anyway. He produced the goods.

...I've never seen a company move this fast from design to inception...that's the incredible advantage of having the design and manufacturing all under one roof...in the course of just a few weeks, after receiving feedback and requests from those who have been early-adapters to the 3U Audio line, Guosheng has consistently made revisions, added new models and shipped finished product at breakneck speed...even in the DIY community, I've never seen products developed so quickly...really impressive!

...frankly, it's a commanding advantage for a small brand like 3U Audio to be able to respond to the market so quick and efficiently...

Last edited by kidvybes; 12th October 2015 at 06:15 PM..
Old 12th October 2015
This is the most informative thread I’ve ever seen…

I’d like to buy a new LDC for recording vocals. At the moment I have only 2 microphones, Kel HM-7U and HM-3C. For vocals, I’ve been using mostly HM-7U, sometimes HM-3C for backing vocals (and also for ac.gtr).
When I bought these Kel mics and tested these for the first time (2 or 3 years ago), I was actually quite disappointed how my voice sounded with with HM-7U after using my previous mics like AKG-C3000, Octava MK-319, TLM 103 that I unfortunately didn’t have anymore. So for some reason my voice / HM-7U is not a good combo.

I’ve been reading this thread and listened most of the audio examples and I now have two possible 3U Audio candidates in mind…but first I would really appreciate if anyone could take a minute and listen to my voice on the full mix below and / or attached dry voice sample, which doesn’t have any processing, just my voice > HM-7U into GAP Pre Mark 2 > Apogee Duet.

thank you in advance

Attached Files
File Type: aif Lead voc 2 verse.aif (4.11 MB, 164 views)
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
...but first I would really appreciate if anyone could take a minute and listen to my voice on the full mix below...
Nice tune and nice mix.

Looking at the frequency response graph for the KEL hm7, there's a peak at 3.5k. 3K is considered a "hard" frequency - as in edgy. Perhaps you need a mic with less 3k? If you sounded good on a C3000, that might be because it has a dip at 2k and the HF peak is later, at around 6.5k. Perhaps, for your voice, the C3000 is a better choice? They say the top end of the C3000 can be a little bright, but you might be able to alleviate that with a foam pop filter and careful gain staging so you're not introducing "sloshy" S's due to distortion from your preamp.

Your situation illustrates the problem with "upgrading" your mic. It's not so much the brand name or the price of the mic that makes it better, it's how that particular mic model's response curve sounds on your voice.

Hopefully, KV will chime in with a recommendation, since he's so familiar with choosing mics to fit different voices.
Old 12th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Nice tune and nice mix.

Looking at the frequency response graph for the KEL hm7, there's a peak at 3.5k. 3K is considered a "hard" frequency - as in edgy. Perhaps you need a mic with less 3k? If you sounded good on a C3000, that might be because it has a dip at 2k and the HF peak is later, at around 6.5k. Perhaps, for your voice, the C3000 is a better choice? They say the top end of the C3000 can be a little bright, but you might be able to alleviate that with a foam pop filter and careful gain staging so you're not introducing "sloshy" S's due to distortion from your preamp.

Your situation illustrates the problem with "upgrading" your mic. It's not so much the brand name or the price of the mic that makes it better, it's how that particular mic model's response curve sounds on your voice.

Hopefully, KV will chime in with a recommendation, since he's so familiar with choosing mics to fit different voices.
Perhaps the Warbler IV would be better then.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

My thoughts too, or the C12 ish Mk III
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was actually quite disappointed how my voice sounded with with HM-7U after using my previous mics like AKG-C3000, Octava MK-319, TLM 103 that I unfortunately didn’t have anymore. So for some reason my voice / HM-7U is not a good combo.
Yeah, the C3000 was an edge-terminated mic marketed as a poorman's C414, so I'm thinking MKIII or MKIV...I'd probably suggest MKIV as a starting point, as well...

Last edited by kidvybes; 12th October 2015 at 11:33 PM..
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, the C3000 was an edge-terminated mic marketed as a poorman's C414, so I'm thinking MKIII or MKIV...I'd probably suggest MKIV as a starting point, as well...
The Blue Baby Bottle has a significant dip at 2k. That also might be worth a try, as long as the OP could return it if it sucks. It does lack highs after the 6k peak, but a good EQ plugin should be able to take care of that.

The old C414eb P48 (circa 1980) has a little dip between 1k and 4k. It's the model with the teflon capsule that came out after the silver C-12-ish 414's, but before AKG changed to the current 414 that lacks the midrange dip. They're hard to find, but they're out there.

The Charter Oaks 538 tube mic has a bit of a dip in the 3k-4k range. I just happen to know a guy who might be selling his...
Old 13th October 2015
Quote:
...unfortunately, these are so new, I don't think there's much product in the field yet...I only took a chance on a few of the other 3U mics based on the build quality in the pics and descriptions, and the previous history of the designer/proprietor...

3U GZ74 pair ($249):
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings3U Audio GZ74 Matched Pair Condenser Microphones Guitar Drum Overhead Pro Mic | eBay
so any samples of these yet?
Old 13th October 2015
Thank you @ uncle duncan , @ robertgeorge , @ Blast9 , @ kidvybes

I'm not sure at all whether an AKG C3000 is a good mic for my voice or not, maybe I just used it too long and I thought my voice should sound like that. Now when using HM-7U, many times I still cut that 1-3k range and boost some 6,5k or so to mimic the C-3000 frequency response. But the question is; does my voice need that?

So if you listen to my "raw" voice sample (HM-7U) which has no processing other that GAP 73 pre (clean mode) and Apogee Duet, and forget that a long time ago I was quite happy with that C-3000, do you still think that MK IV (or any other C12 type /brighter) is the right choice for my voice? After listening to many of these samples I was actually thinking about getting either MK I or MK ID....but I'm not sure whether there are any use for multi polar patterns when recording only vocals??
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

If I was in your shoes, I'd not hesitate to get the black Teal to cover the "U87" AKA "Mk I" territory, which by nature is kind of "usefully pushed" in the upper mids, and the Mk IV for what I perceive as a smooth and airy representation, but not scooped.

I think you'll get a lot of mileage with those 2 plus your EQ.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd not hesitate to get the black Teal to cover the "U87" AKA "Mk I" territory
...I think you mean "Black CM-1", not "Teal"...
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you @ uncle duncan , @ robertgeorge , @ Blast9 , @ kidvybes

...So if you listen to my "raw" voice sample (HM-7U) which has no processing other that GAP 73 pre (clean mode) and Apogee Duet, and forget that a long time ago I was quite happy with that C-3000, do you still think that MK IV (or any other C12 type /brighter) is the right choice for my voice? ....
Hard to tell. Can you put up a snippet recorded with your C-3000?

I'm putting up the Warbler MKIV for a lady singer this morning. I'm also putting up the old C414eb and recording both for comparison, but I won't have time to post audio clips till way later tonight.
Old 13th October 2015
whats the average delivery time for the east coast us ..my IV shipped on the 5th.. my email says 15th -29th ..
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
whats the average delivery time for the east coast us ..my IV shipped on the 5th.. my email says 15th -29th ..
Average for me in FL has been 8-10 business days...and don't forget yesterday being a holiday...
Old 13th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
I'm in the southeast US. My MKIII took 10 days from order to delivery. Shipped the day after ordered, so 9 days in transit.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
Shipped the day after ordered
...considering that China is 12 hours ahead, if you ordered after 12 noon your time (12 midnight in China), it more likely shipped the same day...
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I think you mean "Black CM-1", not "Teal"...
Oops!

Black CM-1 YES!
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

...do they usually send tracking info and confirm after you pay pal, or does the mic just show up? Sent payment on Saturday and had not heard anything back. Excited to try it
Old 13th October 2015
SEED78
Wow, EPIC thread!!

Please someone advise me... Want a vocal mic that has a different flavor to my Sony C48. Am after something u47 ish, not against mics that sound C12/251 ish either. Def not after anything U87 style. I got a ribbon mic already.

Which 3U mics fit my remit? So many I'm a bit confused! Obviously the GZ67 tube looks cool but its kinda expensive. Does it have a better capsule than the similar Stepped options?
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Wow, EPIC thread!!

Please someone advise me... Want a vocal mic that has a different flavor to my Sony C48. Am after something u47 ish, not against mics that sound C12/251 ish either. Def not after anything U87 style. I got a ribbon mic already.

Which 3U mics fit my remit? So many I'm a bit confused! Obviously the GZ67 tube looks cool but its kinda expensive. Does it have a better capsule than the similar Stepped options?
...based on your question, you'd do best to consider the Warbler MKII (U47fet), MKIII (C12) or MKIV (251)...those are all cardioid-only variants...shortly, you will be able to order a multi-patter, multi-voice variant, (designated by the addition of a "D" to the model number..."D" for dual-diaphragm)...so MKIID (U47fet), MK IIID (C12) and MKIVD (251) are all multi-pattern variants...

...capsules on the Warbler "D" variants are the same as in the GZ-series models, but those GZ models employ higher-quality AMI transformers and other circuit mods/upgrades, both in FET variants and whatever tube models Guosheng makes available...

...capsules in the standard Warbler-series mics are simply single-diaphragm versions allowing cardioid-only operation...

...prices including shipping to the US have been (euro shipping may vary slightly):
Warbler standard series mics - $270
Warbler "D" series mics - $349
GZ-series FET mics - $599
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search