The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A good friend of mine recently got a MKII to record his upright bass with and he absolutely loves it. He also has a DPA that he clips on, but I think he prefers the Warbler, despite the huge price difference!

According to SOS, though, the UTFET47 is just about sonically indistinguishable from the Neumann. I think that says a lot. I know Chessparov likes them, as well.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-pangdrums View Post
I bought a matched pair of the Warbler MKVID a couple of years back, great mics. Has mostly been used on drum OH, drum Room and vocals. Pretty much almost in voicing 2.
Im now on the hunt for a new FOK mic, have been using a RED type B but I'm now looking for something with more heft and a more solid low end, FET47 territory.

Anybody here use the Warbler mkII or GZ47fet(V) in this position? The United UT Fet47 also looks interesting...
I had the UT FET47 for a month or so and it is an absolutely outstanding mic for $800.

Nails the 47 vibe and stood its own against a much pricier M149. Highly recommended.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMHO a pair of multi-pattern Warblers, and then (or later on) a mic like that... Is a great way to grow a Project Studio.
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-pangdrums View Post
Im now on the hunt for a new FOK mic..
I’ve been using the MKID on front of kick and I’ve really liked it in that application. 5-10” from the head and slightly at an angle downwards. Been getting great kick sounds with just that single mic. The drum and the player of course are responsible for the sound in the first place, but the MKID has been great at capturing it.

I don’t have other MKs so I haven’t been able to compare. Besides, I’ve been so happy with the sound that I’ve just thrown that mic in automatically when tracking drums.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerbackproblems View Post
I’ve been using the MKID on front of kick and I’ve really liked it in that application. 5-10” from the head and slightly at an angle downwards. Been getting great kick sounds with just that single mic. The drum and the player of course are responsible for the sound in the first place, but the MKID has been great at capturing it.

I don’t have other MKs so I haven’t been able to compare. Besides, I’ve been so happy with the sound that I’ve just thrown that mic in automatically when tracking drums.
I’ve used mine in that spot/application with great results too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, Santa was very kind to me this Christmas, and my wee studio finally got a Neumann u87ai. Despite the bashing this mic gets on GS with surprising frequency, it's actually my very favorite mic of all. I still love my Warbler MKID, however, so I thought I'd shoot the two out on my tenor saxophone! I made a backing track arrangement from one of my favorite John Coltrane tunes and recorded the same take with both mics, capsules as close together as possible. For me, the Neumann wins, unsurprisingly... but the 3U holds up incredibly well, particularly considering it's a tenth of the price. Of course, the Warbler is modeled after the vintage (pre-AI) u87, so it has a good bit less top-end and some more grainy saturation, I think. It still sounds lovely and I'll certainly be hanging onto it for when a more vintage vibe is needed.

Here's a playlist with isolated dry stems as well as full mixes featuring each mic. In the mixes, I put some reverb, delay, and light compression/saturation (via the NEOLD V76U73, which I love!) on the saxophone tracks. No EQ except for some 80hz rolloff via the NEOLD.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-donohoe...ai-vs-3u-audio
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds great. I also agree on the U87ai/Warbler sound comparison. I love my Oktava 319, in the same sorta way.

But the 319 IMHO is still more of a "Character Mic",
compared to U87ai/Warbler.
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, Chris! And yes, while the Warbler might have more "vintage character" than the u87 (which still has plenty of mojo despite its clarity and detail, somehow... I love this mic...), it's still pretty universally applicable. In the last couple months I've used both the Warbler and the Neumann to record saxophone, flute, vocals, and percussion, and they both get very useable results.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sure thing!
Now we gotta geek out on Pre's!!

(Useful Arts Hornet on my late 2021 Radar we'll see)
Chris
📝 Reply