The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatkin View Post
It's my fault for not reading all the material I should have.

To be fair, if I need any more mics, they would be dynamics for my small PA. They're difficult to justify just now.

Gavin

I was just kidding of course. And you still had yours at very good value for money! But if you ever need another 3U Audio mic, you know what to do.
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I've got a pair of the original CM1 Teals that I'm willing to sell. They're pretty much unused. Hit me up if you're interested.

Edit.... Sold one. I have one more available at $120.

Last edited by Guitarzan; 4 weeks ago at 06:09 PM..
Old 22nd October 2020
Here for the gear

Gguhh
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
CM1 Teal vs Black

Experimenting tonight, I think I learned that the CM1 Teal SE picks up more room sound than the standard Black model. Has anyone else noticed this please? Am I mistaken? Is it to be expected?

Thanks, Gavin
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Experimenting tonight, I think I learned that the CM1 Teal SE picks up more room sound than the standard Black model. Has anyone else noticed this please? Am I mistaken? Is it to be expected?
Thanks, Gavin
The CM1's really deserve a thread of their own. I have a Teal SE and just got in a Black SE yesterday
3U Audio CM1's
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Rumor has it a THIRD model is coming out, blending the best parts of the both the SE Black and SE Teal...

Behold the all new (& Old) 3U Audio "STeal".

Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is it true that they are making changes to the internals of the microphones for newer models? If so, has anyone tested any differences?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
So, based on what I'm reading the consensus for best affordable cardioid is the CM1 Teal SE? Looking for something for male vocals and acoustic guitar.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoody86 View Post
So, based on what I'm reading the consensus for best affordable cardioid is the CM1 Teal SE? Looking for something for male vocals and acoustic guitar.
For a Baritone the CM1 Black SE might be better. I didn't have mine yet when I last recorded and a Behringer B2 Pro beat out the 3U CM1 Teal SE for the Baritone vocalist I was recording - I suspect the Black sounds like the B2 Pro - they might even been originally designed by the same guy - the B2 Pro was originally a Rode N2 re-labeled, built in the Chinese factory where the 3U Audio guy worked back then. FWIW the innards of the Black are MUCH nicer looking than the B2 Pro .
Acoustic Guitar doesn't seem to be as demanding for the mic - I've used many different SDC and MDC as well as LDC successfully.
Gear Head
I'd concur. My conclusions are here: 3U Audio CM1's

Check my YouTube account for example recordings with various mics including the CM1s.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GavinAtkin

Gavin
Lives for gear

Maybe, maybe not.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
I'd concur. My conclusions are here: 3U Audio CM1's

Check my YouTube account for example recordings with various mics including the CM1s.

Gavin
whats your youtube channel?
Gear Head

u87ish

Guys, I'm looking for good quality brightish mic similar to a u87ai. would you guys go with a Miktek C7e or a Warbler MKVID?

Jim
Lives for gear

(Progger's post is more accurate than my original one here)...
Chris
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfiend311 View Post
Guys, I'm looking for good quality brightish mic similar to a u87ai. would you guys go with a Miktek C7e or a Warbler MKVID?

Jim
Miktek makes very good stuff, and I'm sure the C7e is a great contender. I haven't gotten to use one, but I respect everything that company does at the moment.

The Warbler MKI is modeled after the pre-AI u87, so I think you're right to go for the MKVI if you're looking for a brighter K67-style sound. Even on its brightest settings, my MKID is still reasonably dark. It takes EQ really well so I can boost the top-end very easily whenever I need to, and it really sounds excellent in pretty much application, but the MKVI will probably be brighter from the get-go, so if that's what you're looking for, it's a good bet.

You can always email Guosheng ([email protected]) about specifically the kind of sound you're going for and he'll make some good recommendations. That's my favorite thing about 3U, you can just talk to the guy who designs the mics -- and he really knows what he's talking about -- and he'll steer you in the right direction. And he'll make you a deal that's very, very hard to turn down!

My hunch is the Miktek guys are probably similarly approachable, I've just never talked to them or bought anything from them directly.
I've got a Warbler MKIID I'm thinking of parting with. Used once on a vocal. P.M. me
Gear Head

U87ish

So how would a Warbler Mkvid compare to a more expensive clone like say a Peluso P-87 or Stam audio SA-87? Would it be on par with those or would those give better audio quality?

I'm trying to decide whether I should save and go with the warbler or just pay the $1000+ for one of those if its gonna be noticeably better.

Jim
Lives for gear

Quote:

Jim
The MKI is good quality brightish mic similar to a U87Ai. The MKVI is similar to the really bright Sony C800g. At the higher end I would choose Stam over Peluso.
Gear Addict

I’ve had a MKI for quite some time and I wouldn’t call it bright by any means. It’s really smooth up top and takes EQ well, as it was mentioned. It also has a nice vintage mid forward-ness. From what I read here, the MKID could be a tad brighter. Also, it was said here that the third dullest voicing of the MKVI equals the response of voice 1 of the MKI.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva View Post
I’ve had a MKI for quite some time and I wouldn’t call it bright by any means. It’s really smooth up top and takes EQ well, as it was mentioned. It also has a nice vintage mid forward-ness. From what I read here, the MKID could be a tad brighter. Also, it was said here that the third dullest voicing of the MKVI equals the response of voice 1 of the MKI.
musicfiend said “brightish mic similar to a U87ai” and that is how many here find the MKI - but your mileage may vary. I agree with you that it is smooth up top and that it takes EQ well. According to Klaus Heyne, Neumann accept up to a 4dB variance in frequency response between K87 capsules so some U87s sound brighter than others. If you accept the published frequency response graph (it is smoothed out) then it shows the U87 is flat up to 5 kHz and then it rises. That rise is “brightness”. The U87 and the MK1 have that. Their frequency responses are not flat.

The MKV is flat (“dark” if you like).

The MKVI is intended to be similar to a C800g (which is very bright).

I also agree that the third dullest voicing of the MKVI is similar to the response of voice 1 of the MK1.

That “smooth up top” that you hear with the MK1 is above 10 kHz and is due to the specific (Guosheng designed) transformers in the Warblers. That’s what turned Kidvybes onto these mics in 2015. It’s a “vintage” sound. But you can hear what the capsules sound like without that top end transformer attenuation when you listen to a Black or Teal CM1. The “all FET” CM series are essentially neutral circuits so you can hear the capsules (nothing else is added).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
Miktek makes very good stuff, and I'm sure the C7e is a great contender. I haven't gotten to use one, but I respect everything that company does at the moment.

The Warbler MKI is modeled after the pre-AI u87, so I think you're right to go for the MKVI if you're looking for a brighter K67-style sound. Even on its brightest settings, my MKID is still reasonably dark. It takes EQ really well so I can boost the top-end very easily whenever I need to, and it really sounds excellent in pretty much application, but the MKVI will probably be brighter from the get-go, so if that's what you're looking for, it's a good bet.

You can always email Guosheng ([email protected]) about specifically the kind of sound you're going for and he'll make some good recommendations. That's my favorite thing about 3U, you can just talk to the guy who designs the mics -- and he really knows what he's talking about -- and he'll steer you in the right direction. And he'll make you a deal that's very, very hard to turn down!

My hunch is the Miktek guys are probably similarly approachable, I've just never talked to them or bought anything from them directly.
Miktek guys are cool too. Good vibe talking with them, at their Booth.
Chris
Lives for gear

I haven't used the Peluso or Stam. I know Stam's stuff is "on point," to quote an engineer friend of mine who uses tons of his gear, but there's always a wait. Another buddy of mine has a Peluso 47 that he loves, but I don't know about the 87. I've heard mixed reviews, but no first-hand experience.

I've had the privilege of recording on some of the best microphones on earth, and I was utterly shocked when I received my Warbler -- which I really just bought on kind of a whim since it was so affordable and I'd heard such intriguing things -- I couldn't believe how close it came to the best sounds I'd ever gotten in high-end studios on vintage Neumanns. It honestly doesn't make sense. They're incredibly good. I generally agree with the "buy nice, don't buy twice" philosophy, but I'll be keeping this Warbler forever, no matter how many more expensive mics I get. It's a gem.

Quote:
So how would a Warbler Mkvid compare to a more expensive clone like say a Peluso P-87 or Stam audio SA-87? Would it be on par with those or would those give better audio quality?

I'm trying to decide whether I should save and go with the warbler or just pay the $1000+ for one of those if its gonna be noticeably better.

Jim
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I got lucky I believe, on my AKG P120's capsule.
But I still think of it like a 3U CM-1, with more self noise.

Any of the 3U Audio vocal microphones, are more than capable of recording "Hit Vocals". (remember those?)
Chris
📝 Reply