The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.m. son View Post
Irrelevant
Thread title is: Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings.

Tom
Old 4 weeks ago
Well, at least you got the affordable part right.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Has anyone received their new Teal CM-1 SE, yet?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Has anyone received their new Teal CM-1 SE, yet?
Me... I am still studying it need some time to test it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The differences mentioned between, the CM1 Teal and Black, is counter intuitive to me.

I would've thought the reverse...
That the Teal would be brighter than the Black, around the "Sibilance Zone" (6-7KHz).
I'm so used to 251 vs. U87, for example.

But I'm open to learning new things.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasylek View Post
Thread title is: Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings.

Tom

Yup, so although this is the wrong thread fot the Rode I do understand the confusion. I've mentioned this more than once in this long thread, but nothing is done about it. Unfortunately we can't ask him anymore, but I'm pretty sure Dennis wouldn't mind if the topic title was modified a little, in order to make it more clear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
The differences mentioned between, the CM1 Teal and Black, is counter intuitive to me.

I would've thought the reverse...
That the Teal would be brighter than the Black, around the "Sibilance Zone" (6-7KHz).
I'm so used to 251 vs. U87, for example.

But I'm open to learning new things.
Chris
I've got two black cm1s and one teal cm1se.

Judging by what I hear, I think the mics' sounds probably correspond to 3U's frequency response charts. The Teal SE is warm and airy with reduced 2-3 kHz hardness. In my mind, it's nice for spoken word.

Gavin
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmm... Mando knows I've got some good stories, involving when Howard Hughes secretly worked for Neumann to create the U47...
Pre-Columbian UFO's /Time Travel with Hunter S. Thompson/Government cover ups/having lunch with Liz Taylor and Orson Welles, and-of course-Affordable microphones.

Yet SOMEHOW I've managed to stay totally on topic.
So it can be done.

BTW Rode and T-Funk are teaming up for the special new Steve Earle Signature microphone...
The Copperhead Rode. (rimshot please drummer!)

Rock on you 3U people!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Yup, so although this is the wrong thread fot the Rode I do understand the confusion. I've mentioned this more than once in this long thread, but nothing is done about it. Unfortunately we can't ask him anymore, but I'm pretty sure Dennis wouldn't mind if the topic title was modified a little, in order to make it more clear.
Exactly. Multiple voicings was a confusing title but now I know that RODE is not one of them. Lesson learned.

Tom
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Very confusing. I was about to Ramble On, about those Tibetan Monks who could sing in Multiple Voicings.
Especially on K2.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Very confusing. I was about to Ramble On, about those Tibetan Monks who could sing in Multiple Voicings.
Especially on K2.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I spent a couple of hours listening to 3U shootouts and samples... What I am hearing is that I like the Warbler V with the Teal right behind it... great thread here... thx
Old 4 weeks ago
I got an SE Electronics T2 recently. All the mentions on Gearslutz are good, but there are very few, so I was on the fence. Now I want to add my voice.
T2 is a fantastic, multi-pattern, all around mic. It also happens to be at an affordable price.
So far I've used it on vocals, outside kick, and distorted guitars and it's excelled on each.

Edit: sorry if this is supposed to be dedicated to 3U but I think a lot of people find this thread looking for more.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_T_Music View Post
I got an SE Electronics T2 recently. All the mentions on Gearslutz are good, but there are very few, so I was on the fence. Now I want to add my voice.
T2 is a fantastic, multi-pattern, all around mic. It also happens to be at an affordable price.
So far I've used it on vocals, outside kick, and distorted guitars and it's excelled on each.

Edit: sorry if this is supposed to be dedicated to 3U but I think a lot of people find this thread looking for more.
Yes... an affordable mic that's twice the price of a similar 3U Audio model. Can't beat retail markup! LOL
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
Yes... an affordable mic that's twice the price of a similar 3U Audio model. Can't beat retail markup! LOL
I dunno, I was just on their eBay store and most mics range from 299 to 399. Not that big of a price difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I dunno, I was just on their eBay store and most mics range from 299 to 399. Not that big of a price difference.
Gearslutz don't buy from eBay. We buy direct from GZ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Gearslutz don't buy from eBay. We buy direct from GZ.
Well there are no prices listed on his website so the only place to get a reference was his ebay store.
Maybe there should be a secret handshake to get in this thread, that would have kept me out.
Thread title is misleading. I'd be happy for mods to rename it the "3u mics thread" and then delete my inappropriate contributions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well there are no prices listed on his website so the only place to get a reference was his ebay store.
Maybe there should be a secret handshake to get in this thread, that would have kept me out.
Thread title is misleading. I'd be happy for mods to rename it the "3u mics thread" and then delete my inappropriate contributions.
Sorry you're upset. Assumed you had read the thread. That's the secret handshake. Reading it.

Throughout the thread you will see the many people recommending to contact GZ via the email on his website.

It's how I learned how to save some cash and have direct contact with a great mic designer. 3U Audio is a boutique operation that offers excellent quality mics. That either appeals or it doesn't.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Sorry you're upset. Assumed you had read the thread. That's the secret handshake. Reading it.

Throughout the thread you will see the many people recommending to contact GZ via the email on his website.

It's how I learned how to save some cash and have direct contact with a great mic designer. 3U Audio is a boutique operation that offers excellent quality mics. That either appeals or it doesn't.
I'v got nothing against 3U. This thread has over 6000 responses so I haven't read all of them. Thought the discussion might have evolved in the last 5 years, and even before you first quoted me, I had already edited to apologize if I was taking things off the dedicated topic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Guys I keep reading this thread and I am really close to realize what Multiple Voicings is .

Tom.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If I were just encountering this thread, I'd be a little confused too. Dennis named it out of excitement when he discovered the Warbler series and then, as many of us got these mics and realized what a remarkable situation 3U Audio was, the thread exploded to its current mammoth state.

I don't begrudge anyone for not understanding the thread from the title or for not having the time to read through thousands of posts to get all the details.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I do! They must now sift through a number of AKG C1000 Threads, in order to re-qualify.

Or subject themselves, to more of my "Stories".
(then again the AKG C1000's aren't THAT bad!)

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I don't think 3U Audio has a similar mic. And a used T2 is the same as the new price of the multipattern Warblers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A real Gearslut buys both...
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'v got nothing against 3U. This thread has over 6000 responses so I haven't read all of them. Thought the discussion might have evolved in the last 5 years, and even before you first quoted me, I had already edited to apologize if I was taking things off the dedicated topic.
Haha I did go back to the beginning when I found this thread but it was only fifty pages back then. I lurked on this site for a decade prior but that's when I finally got a username. If you're curious at all about these mics I think it's well worth it to go back and do at least a little bit of the beginning. A good majority of the models are described pretty early on, and you'll find links to sound examples, many made by Ragan, here, who has been active in that way through a large portion of this thread, so you can find 3U Audio mics side by side with Neumanns etc.

Don't worry, though, Dave from Advanced Audio did the same thing you did. I'm pretty sure that's how he ended up here but you want to talk about some microphone knowledge between him and Dennis (Kidvybes - may he rest in low impedance peace) I learned a ton. There's drama sometimes. This thread has everything. It's been a ride.

Guosheng Zhuang - [email protected]
When you go direct he passes on the savings from not having to pay eBay fees. So - eBay gives you a rough idea but they're less than that.

He makes his own capsules and they're really good and that's a big reason why all the mics are quite good at each of his price points.

Quote:
Guys I keep reading this thread and I am really close to realize what Multiple Voicings is .

Tom.
The multiple voicings are basically stepped eq curves that can be applied within the analog circuitry of the mic before the signal even hits your front end, depending on how you want the top end to sound. Does that help?

(It was referring to the Warbler MKI which has three of them, as do all of the Warbler large diaphragm mics.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is really among the all time greatest of GS Threads...
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post

Guosheng Zhuang - [email protected]
When you go direct he passes on the savings from not having to pay eBay fees. So - eBay gives you a rough idea but they're less than that.
I now own four of his cm1 mics and didn't pick that up! So they all came to me via eBay! I guess there's just too much to read...

Gavin
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatkin View Post
I now own four of his cm1 mics and didn't pick that up! So they all came to me via eBay! I guess there's just too much to read...

Gavin

Well, at least it's good to know for the next four.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Well, at least it's good to know for the next four.
It's my fault for not reading all the material I should have.

To be fair, if I need any more mics, they would be dynamics for my small PA. They're difficult to justify just now.

Gavin
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Tom.
You’ll find that in the first post
📝 Reply