The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 2nd August 2020
http://www.3uaudio.com/cp.asp?id=651
The switches are now on the back of the mic, and it's a V67G style headbasket. That's what's visually different, I don't have the original one to compare, but I remember the body and switch placement was identical to what was on the Black CM1. Dunno what, if anything, is different about the internals. Maybe he just wants to get away from the ADK A6 look, though I'm fairly certain ADK's cheaper mics just used generic Chinese bodies.

He's also developing a CK12 capsule. I expressed some interest a while ago, this was over a year ago, and I actually got an email telling me about it. This is different than what's in the Warbler 3 and 4. It was supposed to be out later this year I think, but due to COVID delays it's production is being delayed until next year.
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
It's available on their website and you could always just look there but here is the difference, both have the same switches

Old shell
New shell

Old PCB
New PCB

Haven't had a chance to ask GZ about the changes but it's described prettymuch the same as the old design
Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Maybe he just wants to get away from the ADK A6 look, though I'm fairly certain ADK's cheaper mics just used generic Chinese bodies.
One of the draws for me originally is that I have an ADK Venice MK8 and that thing feels like it could take a bullet and keep going (figuratively speaking) so I was confident in the build quality of the shell at least. From what I understand of headbasket design the tonal quality will be different now as the metal bar is designed to deflect something something big words but I'm not sure it'll matter too much to me.

If GZ is really moving to single sided PCBs that could (again, could, not does) signify a push into higher-volume production in which case we should be ready for a big shift in the mainstream mic ecosystem
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
He's also developing a CK12 capsule. I expressed some interest a while ago, this was over a year ago, and I actually got an email telling me about it. This is different than what's in the Warbler 3 and 4. It was supposed to be out later this year I think, but due to COVID delays it's production is being delayed until next year.
Nice!

I'd be interested in that too.

Do keep us in the loop!

/fruity
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
The switches are now on the back of the mic, and it's a V67G style headbasket. That's what's visually different, I don't have the original one to compare, but I remember the body and switch placement was identical to what was on the Black CM1. Dunno what, if anything, is different about the internals. Maybe he just wants to get away from the ADK A6 look, though I'm fairly certain ADK's cheaper mics just used generic Chinese bodies.

Will the ck12 capsule be put in warbler mic or sold separately for DIY upgrades?
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Will the ck12 capsule be put in warbler mic or sold separately for DIY upgrades?
I think it's sold separately similar to the M7 capsule. Either way Guosheng does sell capsules if you message him, including the Warbler ones. The M7 is only marginally more expensive than the dual diaphragm Warbler capsules. I was told it was $180 USD plus shipping. Maybe the CK12 will be the same, or maybe it'll be more. I'd expect it to be less than the Peluso CEK12 though which isn't even a true CK12 capsule (but costs the same as the Beesneez which is one).

Only Guosheng can answer that though, and he's pretty quick about responses and very honest in my experience. I've already mentioned how he said the darker voicing on the edge terminated Warblers probably won't get a U87 like sound. I still plan to pick up some Warbler MKVIDs some time, but my workplace hasn't opened up yet because of COVID related health risks. I doubt he has a price in mind yet but I'm sure it'll be worth it. His capsules are a cut above the usual Chinese made capsules.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 4th August 2020 at 07:38 PM..
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
His capsules are a cut above the usual Chinese made capsules.
Don't do GZ dirty like that , from my experience his capsules are as good as any other boutique manufacturer I've seen and the price is just a bonus, plus he's a nice guy so that's an extra 10 points and then he's Australian so that's another 50, then add in that his $100 mics literally can't be beat for double the price from any other manufacturer then add the rumored WA and Rode connections and there's a pretty compelling argument for 3U to go mainstream.
Old 6th August 2020
Quote:
Don't do GZ dirty like that , from my experience his capsules are as good as any other boutique manufacturer I've seen and the price is just a bonus, plus he's a nice guy so that's an extra 10 points and then he's Australian so that's another 50, then add in that his $100 mics literally can't be beat for double the price from any other manufacturer then add the rumored WA and Rode connections and there's a pretty compelling argument for 3U to go mainstream.
Agreed, but there are also a lot of boutique capsules that are rebadged Chinese capsules. Even Telefunken is rebadging Chinese capsules now. Even one of the Manley mics uses a pretty typical Chinese K67.

Now Guosheng's small diaphragm capsules on the other hand are way better than any other cheap small diaphragm capsule. Granted they only fit the CM100/Warbler 127, but the Mic Parts small diaphragm capsule looks like the same capsule. Just sold for a bit more. Like Line Audio and Oktava, 3U Audio SDC capsules sound like they belong on mics costing several hundred (closer to the $1000 mark).

Of course I think the Warbler capsules are better than the normal Chinese ones too, but some are better than others. Like I think the tuned flat K67s and K47 Warbler capsules are way better than anything other Chinese manufacturers produce. Not that I necessarily think the RK-47 sounds bad, I just think a flatter capsule is a better choice. I'm not the biggest fan of the big of the 4 dBish bump in the mids the RK47 has. I think it would be great for music, but if I'm listening to a podcast or anything with Voiceover (prelay or ADR), I don't want it to sound like a recording.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Even Telefunken is rebadging Chinese capsules now.
Just capsules? Don't forget the M16 debacle where they literally changed a couple of capacitors on an Apex 460, put their logo on it and sold it for $1000
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

I think T-Funk has been making an effort, for a while now, to give excellent Customer Service.
Their Copperhead and AR/TF 51 microphones,
are very competitive, in their price range.
Chris
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I think T-Funk has been making an effort, for a while now, to give excellent Customer Service.
Their Copperhead and AR/TF 51 microphones,
are very competitive, in their price range.
Chris
If it has an RK-12 in it, I'm not paying almost $2000 for it. Their Alchemy series killed any desire I have for their mics. They have the means to actually make budget versions of their high end mics, and instead we're getting mics with Rayking capsules. I could just pay half what Telefunken wants and get something from Advanced Audio. Neither one is using a CK12 anyway.

If they didn't want to make a cheap CK12 they could've used the Beesneez one, and they really should for the price. Then I think it would be worth the money. But an innacurate Chinese capsule is not something I want in an $1800 C12 inspired mic made by a company who actually makes C12s and ELA M 251s.

I'd rather buy 4 Warbler MKIVDs though if I were going to spend that much.

The Copperhead Deluxe looks kind of interesting though, It doesn't appear to share the usual Chinese K67 hype. Maybe there's EQ in the circuit though. Maybe not.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 7th August 2020 at 05:09 PM..
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry to have to mention this, but they don't sound near the same to me. The SE 2200/2300's are nice sounding, but are "bright-ish".
Chris
Ya the secret weapons of the SE Mics are the 4400A and T2 which is the 4400A with a Titanium diaphragm . I have gotten excellent Female vocals with the 4400A I want to pick up the T2.
Quote:
Now Guosheng's small diaphragm capsules on the other hand are way better than any other cheap small diaphragm capsule. Granted they only fit the CM100/Warbler 127, but the Mic Parts small diaphragm capsule looks like the same capsule. Just sold for a bit more. Like Line Audio and Oktava, 3U Audio SDC capsules sound like they belong on mics costing several hundred (closer to the $1000 mark).
You can add Warm to that list as their WA84 SDC’s have been bang on. Yes the rumor is most likely quite true that Guoshengs capsules are in their Mics
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic View Post
Ya the secret weapons of the SE Mics are the 4400A and T2 which is the 4400A with a Titanium diaphragm . I have gotten excellent Female vocals with the 4400A I want to pick up the T2.
The Thomann house brand of tube mics are the exact same as the mics from the SE 5600 era and are damn good for the money, would recommend checking them out.
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

I made a new thread about this, but i see that there is some discussion here about the new Teal CM1 SE model. I have been in contact with GZ about finding the right mic for me (affordable, mono overhead, vocals) and inquired about the differences in the new SE model and the older model. He stated:
"Teal CM1 SE has three main changes

1. The SE has the '251' style head basket.

2. The SE has the 12dB/octave roll-off instead of 6dB/octave.

3. The SE has cast frame instead of rails."

I am not sure if i should go with the black CM1 or the new teal CM1 SE. Decisions decisions. Of course the warbler series would probably be my best option, but with acquiring an entire recording setup for some home projects it is not in the budget atm. But someday!

Going with a 3 - mic drum setup (likely mono overhead, snare, kick), the overhead (3U mic) will have some tom duties.
Any feedback would be great.
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyhan View Post
I made a new thread about this, but i see that there is some discussion here about the new Teal CM1 SE model. I have been in contact with GZ about finding the right mic for me (affordable, mono overhead, vocals) and inquired about the differences in the new SE model and the older model. He stated:
"Teal CM1 SE has three main changes

1. The SE has the '251' style head basket.

2. The SE has the 12dB/octave roll-off instead of 6dB/octave.

3. The SE has cast frame instead of rails."

He answered the same to me but he don't say anything about tone or other audio differences. I do not give importance to cosmetic changes but really like to know if old green double sided pcb and new gray one side make some difference in how this mic sounds. I asked again.

Quote:
I am not sure if i should go with the black CM1 or the new teal CM1 SE. Decisions decisions. Of course the warbler series would probably be my best option, but with acquiring an entire recording setup for some home projects it is not in the budget atm. But someday!

Going with a 3 - mic drum setup (likely mono overhead, snare, kick), the overhead (3U mic) will have some tom duties.
Any feedback would be great
if you search for kidvybes comparisons you will find very useful tools.
For voice related recordings, in my opinion, the old teal CM1 is much better than the black CM1. Much cleaner, airy, pleasant and mid forward. Talking about good mics without spending a fortune give Isk Vibrato a chance too. 3U Audio used to offer some years ago a Teal CM1 + Black CM1 bundle, try asking him. Having them both would be a great. As overhead I don't know, I use a pair of Isk pro audio Pearl or Little Gem which cost less and are amazing for quality they offer.
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Head
I see the 3U Teal CM1 SE is now offered on eBay.

I'm certainly interested, and looking forward to hearing what folks think about them in use! (I've got a couple of black CM1s that I'm happy with, so I need to convince myself I need a teal as well... )

Gavin Atkin
Old 16th August 2020
Quote:
Keep in mind we only see one side of the PCB for the new design but we see both sides for the old one and between the two sides there are three capacitors, it is possible that it's consolidated to a single side PCB to reduce cost but I can't be sure until I have a chat to GZ. Also, if you're trying to reduce cost you wouldn't move away from green PCB but I digress, we can't be sure until we hear from the man himself.
The new PCB is a PTFE material, better than glass-epoxy (usually green) at microwave frequencies (which is not relevant here) and also used for high-impedance circuitry when when wanting to avoid hand-wiring and Teflon stand-offs (very relevant). The material is more expensive, but note that they've eliminated a lot of flying leads in favor of a multi-pin right-angle header, and moved all the through-hole components to one side, which facilitates wave-soldering. Thus, the overall production cost may be less due to savings in hand labor. Chinese designs are starting to move in this direction as wages rise.
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Head

Guosheng kindly answered me:

The new single dual-side PCB doesn't change tone /timbre: We combined two PCB's into one to save labour. The new single PCB has two expensive 1G ohms resistors instead of cheap resistors. We changed the 6dB/octave roll-off circuit into 12dB/octave.

Hope to test Teal CM1 SE soon
Old 18th August 2020
Here for the gear

Awesome! I am going to place an order for one. Will let y'all know how it sounds =)
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Awesome! I am going to place an order for one. Will let y'all know how it sounds =)
same here!
Old 19th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatkin View Post
I see the 3U Teal CM1 SE is now offered on eBay.
I seem to have ordered the first one from eBay to the US - hope to have it in a few days .
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
I seem to have ordered the first one from eBay to the US - hope to have it in a few days .
So did I, in the UK. I couldn't bear the suspense ;-)
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Nut

GK told me that the Black CM1 SE is due this month too. I received the Teal on 8/26 but have yet to have a chance to compare it to my other mics.
Old 4th September 2020
Lives for gear

If I didn't have such a nice sounding cheapie MDC, in the AKG P120 for vocals... Would've scored a CM-1 a long time ago.

Because 3U uses such nice internals, and has much lower self noise, I think of them like "modded" P120's.
Plus that opens more options for recording softer volume instruments.

For just a little more $$ (vs. P120) amazing what you get.

Has anyone compared the U87-ish CM1, to the more U87-ish Black CM-1?
(just being a little lazy, rather than wading through the War & Peace Thread here )
Thanks, Chris
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Has anyone compared the U87-ish CM1, to the more U87-ish Black CM-1?
(just being a little lazy, rather than wading through the War & Peace Thread here )
Thanks, Chris
So... you're not down for lazy wading either?

The Teal CM1 is not 87ish. It's TLM193ish. Not that either. But it is an edge-terminated capsule. Same capsule used in the MKIV, which I own and adore for it's big smooth sweet airy response. Or maybe it was airy smooth sweet and big. Whatever.

The Black CM-1 is not 87ish. But it is more 87ish than the Teal CM-1. Black CM-1 has a center-terminated capsule in the 67ish style. As used in the MKIID, which I don't own yet, but will soon.

Does that answer your question? Hope not. I'm sorta lazy with answers...

PS: Wading through the thread is worth the pieces of mind you gain in the scrolling wars.

PPS: There's some pieces of comparison on this page: Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings

PPPS: You could skip all the opinionizations and just jump to the 3U Audio Mic Demo thread to hear Black and Teal in ear. But only when you're feeling properly lazy.
Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
S
The Black CM-1 is not 87ish. But it is more 87ish than the Teal CM-1. Black CM-1 has a center-terminated capsule in the 67ish style. As used in the MKIID,
MK I rather.
II is 47-style.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
MK I rather.
II is 47-style.
Shhhh. While possibly technically correct, Let's not give @ chessparov2.0 any more easy lazy answers.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

(Snooooorrrreee)
(Wakes up suddenly)
What's that guys?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Rode NT-2A
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasylek View Post