The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 17th May 2020
Here for the gear

Would be cool to hear them AB'd unfortunately I've only got one mic stand.
Old 17th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretentiousNoob View Post
Would be cool to hear them AB'd unfortunately I've only got one mic stand.
Sure, but surely you have some duct tape and a broom handle. ;-)
Old 17th May 2020
Went with the CAD m179s because there was an additional discount on Amazon. I'll still be looking at 3U Audio Warblers though. One arrived already, the other is showing up in a couple days, no idea why they shipped the same order separately. I can say I like it enough on my voice in the cardioid and super cardioid patterns. Probably won't use omni and figure 8 except for instruments.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Not sure if you use an "Reflexion thingy" kind of thing. But if you do... You can throw the mic into Figure 8 and cut down any "room tone".
Chris
Old 17th May 2020
Here for the gear

Initial thoughts on this mic is that it's a class act. I'm not used to it's quality. I can bang the gain upto full on it and hear no noise from the mic itself. The origin would just hiss at anything approaching that level. I can also sing into it way way back. The weird ess you hear is close to clipping on my raw take i think some of that track is a good indicator of where i sit in sound engineering, right near the bottom. Would love to hear how others are getting the best out of their 3U Audio mics?
Old 17th May 2020
Here for the gear

Was that for me. Sorry it wasn't clear. My room is the worst it could be for recording. I can clap in it and hear the ricochet sound all over. I'll sort it soon after the move. @ chessparov
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
My room is the worst it could be for recording. I can clap in it and hear the ricochet sound all over. I'll sort it soon after the move.
(@ Everyone). In any case get rid of flutter echoes ASAP. Those are the uggliest sounding. The good news is that they're also the easiest to remove.
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was that for me. Sorry it wasn't clear. My room is the worst it could be for recording. I can clap in it and hear the ricochet sound all over. I'll sort it soon after the move. @ chessparov
It was intended for Dohreetoh. But wishing you well too.
Chris
Old 19th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Not sure if you use an "Reflexion thingy" kind of thing. But if you do... You can throw the mic into Figure 8 and cut down any "room tone".
Chris
I'm more of a throwing up heavy blankets kind of guy personally. I mean I do have 20 of the 5lb ones.
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Addict

Not sure if anyone needs any more demos of a Warbler on a saxophone, but hey, we're 202 pages in so why the hell not.

3U Audio MKID, voicing 1, cardioid. In my brand-new space at the condo my wife and I just bought in central Austin, so the studio room is a work in progress! Much more furniture, absorbers, and diffusers to come. But it's a large room with some treatment in place so it's already sounding decent, thankfully.

I've had this mic since January and I love it the more I use it. Can't imagine a better piece of gear for the money. Guosheng is a badass.

Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks!
Chris
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Head
Just got my Warbler MKI in. Did some basic testing and I'm blown away. I'm not blown away often by microphones, but everything from the build quality to the sound is unbelievable. Not just for its price, in general. This is a very fine microphone. I'll post some demos and some comparisons in the next few days.
Old 23rd May 2020
Here for the gear
Going to order an sE 2300 mic soon. Frequency response a la U87 attracted me.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry to have to mention this, but they don't sound near the same to me. The SE 2200/2300's are nice sounding, but are "bright-ish".
Chris
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodProduct View Post
This is a very fine microphone.
You ain't kiddin'. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Ragan, I always reference your tracks on the Mic shootouts, amaizng stuff. Now what is the latest shootout you did FW A B and C ? is that a bass shootout?
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Ragan, I always reference your tracks on the Mic shootouts, amaizng stuff. Now what is the latest shootout you did FW A B and C ? is that a bass shootout?
Hey Ariel!

Yeah those were me shooting out three basses with both roundwound and flatwound strings. Not sure where the roundwound clips went (maybe I deleted them for some reason, it was a while ago) but the "FW" stands for flatwound.

Cheers.

Ragan
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just got my Warbler MKI in. Did some basic testing and I'm blown away. I'm not blown away often by microphones, but everything from the build quality to the sound is unbelievable. Not just for its price, in general. This is a very fine microphone. I'll post some demos and some comparisons in the next few days.

Quote:

Yup. The 3u MK1’s kick butt on a ton of sources. They are so Very versatile. I leave one up on a stand at all times for overdubs. I’ve used them on acoustic guitar, bass cabinets, percussion, room mics, drum overheads (mono and stereo) and as you can see above by @ Progger they make really god sax mics too! They work on vocals for sure but not all, just like any vocal mic. All in all I don’t feel bad leaving my MK1 (I have a matched pair) on a stand permanently, especially at this price!
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Yup. The 3u MK1’s kick butt on a ton of sources. They are so Very versatile. I leave one up on a stand at all times for overdubs. I’ve used them on acoustic guitar, bass cabinets, percussion, room mics, drum overheads (mono and stereo) and as you can see above by @ Progger they make really god sax mics too! They work on vocals for sure but not all, just like any vocal mic. All in all I don’t feel bad leaving my MK1 (I have a matched pair) on a stand permanently, especially at this price!
Indeed. My pair of MKIDs are among the very last mics I would ever sell. It’s no big mystery why they work so well. My U87 vs MKID clips show them to be very close. Sometimes I go back and listen to them blind and it’s about 50/50 which one I prefer or whether I guess correctly which is the U87 and which is the MKID. True workhorse mics, both of them.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Indeed. My pair of MKIDs are among the very last mics I would ever sell. It’s no big mystery why they work so well. My U87 vs MKID clips show them to be very close. Sometimes I go back and listen to them blind and it’s about 50/50 which one I prefer or whether I guess correctly which is the U87 and which is the MKID. True workhorse mics, both of them.
I was close to getting the MKID, but I really only needed the cardioid pattern. I've heard they sound very subtly different, but I would put this microphone in the same class as the best microphones I've ever used. I get the feeling whatever I end up getting from 3U is going to be a partner for life. Makes my NT1a look and sound like a toy, and I enjoy my NT1a quite a bit.
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinPavel View Post
Going to order an sE 2300 mic soon. Frequency response a la U87 attracted me.
Not gonna be like a U87. A used sE T2 or sE 4400a would be much closer, but they're more like the flatter C414s. The U87 doesn't have a that 5 dB boost at 15 KHz. If anything it'll be more "C414 like" like the Lewitt mics, or CAD m179.

If you want a U87 like mic on the cheap, the Warbler MKID and MKVID are your only options. You could always get an iSK BM-600 or Alctron MC330, those are about $100, but they're the usual China 87s with too little corrective EQ. They're not bad (they're full of quality parts actually, and a pretty decent transformer), but they're no U87.

So your options are one of the multipattern Warblers, or a sE Electronics T2. Or if you're open to brighter but still accurate mics, the Lewitt LCT441 Flex or the CAD M179. Oktava MK-220 is worth considering too. Or the China 87s (they're really not that bad, plus you could get like 4 of them for the price of the 2300).

I'd say get a pair of CAD M179s, an sE T2 (about $350-$400 used), or 4 Alctron MC330s (but probably don't do this one unless you actually need 4 LDCs). Or a Warbler MKVID (this is and the MKID are the only real cheap U87 clones, you would usually pay twice the price for a similar product, other $350~ U87 copies usually sound like the $100 China 87s I mentioned).

And I'm just gonna say, despite marketing, the lower end sE 2200/2300 mics do not have the same capsule as the sE 4400a. Maybe the backplates are the same, but they're completely different sounding capsules. It's the same nonsense we hear with the claims that the C214 uses a single sided C414 capsule. It's electret so we know it can't be the same capsule as either modern C414, and it's advertised response is similar to the C414 XLII, so it may sound similar, but at like $350, just put in an extra $50 for a pair of M179s. It'll sound better, and you'll get two mics that I think sound better than the C414 XLII.

Of course that last paragraph is really off topic, but the blatantly misleading (dare I say false) advertising in the audio industry really irks me. Especially when it's from companies that know better (AKG should know better anyway, but I'm guessing everybody who had any sense works for Lewitt or Austrian Audio now, reminds me of when I found out Audio Technica was selling those crappy electret "shotgun" mics from China {similar to the one by Neewer} as the ATR-6550 for $70, it sounds like a $20 mic, it might actually be worse than those >$15 BM-800s, let's just say I lost a lot of respect for Audio Technica because of that, enough that I might not ever buy another AT product {this is also due to my headphones by them not lasting very long without developing issues, within a few weeks on the the cable connectors snapped, and it took about a year for one of the cups started rattling like crazy}, I like my AT4050, but it's also one the older ones before they used surface mount components, I think the Oktava MK-220, all of the 3U Audio Warblers, the CAD M179, and Lewitt LCT441 Flex are just as good though for half the money, and in the case of the M179 and MK-220 they're roughly 1/3 of the price).
Old 23rd May 2020
Here for the gear

Nice one it'll take time to adjust your ear but mine is already working out for me. I may never use the other patterns but i always wanted them so thought why not? I wrote a song in a different time signature and in a new tuning because it's sound reminds me of some old soul tunes i really love. Basically it's inspiring me and making me up my game. It's sitting in wardrobe set up and surrounded my clothes to dampen a very bad room echo.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Great post above D! Personally I know of one other microphone-I owned though, WAY under GS radar, that is pretty U87-ish...

It's the MXL V87, and runs around $200 new. The capsule is a nice one, found in some other MXL's (a notch below the AA/3U's IMHO)
But with a unique/effect circuit that helps the microphone mimic a U87, and very low noise too.

Unfortunately for me though, the U87ai isn't ideal on me, and I have to "process" that sound a lot.
So... I ended up giving that MXL V87, to a good Buddy as a gift.

Another cool aspect of the V87 though, was that it was designed for very close up vocal/VO recording.
So that helps minimize room issues, nice proximity effect-Neumann-ish.

Just a thought, for the more budget conscious...
Chris
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
One curiosity I've had: if you apply the high cut on the MKVI, does it put you in the same sonic territory as voice 1 on the MKI? I'm leaning towards the MKI but the extra brightness on the MKVI does sound useful.
MKVI on 2nd position is like MKI on 1st.

MKVI -1 brightest, 2 -like U87AI, 3- like old U87 (darkest)

Here are two songs with vocal recorded with MKVI

Go with me - MKVI -2nd position
https://youtu.be/M7_89n3tag

In the night - MKVI - 3rd position
https://youtu.be/mzDULJ62a-4
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear