The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.m. son View Post
So, looking for some advice/recommendations on a condenser mic for vocals. I've been using the gz251 fet for the past year, and while I think it's a great mic on the right source, I'm finding there's things about it that aren't very flattering on my voice. On the right voice (my girlfriend's, for example) it brings out a really nice airy quality in the high end, but on mine it just sounds sizzle-y and unnatural. I'm not a great singer, by any means, but I just don't think my voice needs to be emphasized in that area. Besides the high end, I also find myself cutting a lot of lows and boosting the high mids a bit to make it sit right in the music I'm making.

I'm adding two audio samples, one using the gz251 and one using an electro-voice re-15, which I find to sound nicer and more rounded on my voice. Kind of what I'm looking for in the condenser, as well. Could just stick with the re-15, I suppose, but I'm afraid it might be on its last legs (gets crackly sometimes). The samples are double tracked, because it helps accentuate that high end crispiness in the gz251.

I'm thinking about trying another 3u, because I think the quality to price point ratio is very good compared to other companies, although, I'm not opposed to something else. For those that have experience, would another 3u model be different enough to warrant the change? Anyone have an opinion on what they think might sound better on my voice? Thanks for any advice!
In any case, get a GZ with a center terminated capsule, either 47 or 67.
This will complement your GZ251 well.
Yin and yang.
Just like you and your girlfriend.
Well, sort of.
I guess …
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oops, forgot the samples!
I like the reality and dimension of the GZ251 but the mid push of the RE15 does sound cool (and I love those mics). I'd echo what legato says. Get something center terminated.
Old 9th January 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
In any case, get a GZ with a center terminated capsule, either 47 or 67.
This will complement your GZ251 well.
Yin and yang.
Just like you and your girlfriend.
Well, sort of.
I guess …
Thanks! Would it be correct to say the gz47 will have an even greater mid push than the gz67, which in turn will have more air than the 47?
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Would it be correct to say the gz47 will have an even greater mid push than the gz67, which in turn will have more air than the 47?
Yeah, more or less. This is a matter that doesn't really or fully show in graphs BTW. But I'd say you're on the right track there.

O, and both the 47 and 67 come in two flavors. So that's still four to choose from.
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Head
The Teal CM-1 keeps on surprising me with male vocals. I recorded some vocals for a band last week, male tenorish kinda rock singer with a little falsetto thrown in.
We had a shoot out of 5 mics: the CM-1, the MKID, an SM7B, Beyerdynamic M88TG and a Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon.
Going back and forth over the clips for some time, all three people in the room (me included) preferred the clarity of the CM-1 over the other mics.

I’ve also heard the same thing from other people, preferring the CM-1 over an MKID on male vocals. With how affordable that thing is, you might want to give it a try. Even if doesn’t work for your voice, there’s a million uses for it. It’s also killer on acoustic guitar, just sounds incredibly nice and smooth and clear.

That mic, in my opinion, is truly the best bang for buck there is.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds like my AKG P120 (black)
Chris
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

a.m. son, the GZ47 is quite a bit darker than the GZ67. Ask yourself if you are constantly cutting lows and low mids or boosting them on your own voice recordings.

poika, I've been thinking the exact same thing about the Teal, I've used it for lead vocals on many recordings. I just recorded some spoken word stuff and the Teal is just super clear. The black cm1 is way above it's price point in quality sound too, but the Teal seems like it's been suiting my voice better lately.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Which CM1 sounds fuller?
Thanks, Chris
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Hey Chris, I like the black cm1 on rock and some pop but like the Teal on more acoustic and intimate stuff and especially when I sing in my lower range. I'd say the Teal sounds fuller, the black one more mid focused. They both work quite well on any style though, really.

Somewhere in that long 3u Audio sound example thread a gentleman posted a cover of a Johnny Cash song I'd never heard before. He did a guitar vocal demo of a song called '13' and used a Warbler MKIV for the vocal. I listened to the Cash version and didn't really care for it, but really dug the version he posted so I covered it playing multiple instruments. This is all first take pretty much but I'm singing through the Teal into a Langevin DVC.

https://clyp.it/1btqaadj
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Does anyone have experience with both the Warbler I and the WA-87?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

(Keeping the thread alive for kidvybes )
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
Does anyone have experience with both the Warbler I and the WA-87?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

(Keeping the thread alive for kidvybes )
I've used both, though I've not used the WA87 for a couple years. At the time I demo'd it I thought it sort of sounded like if Guosheng made a GZ version of the MKID. Slightly more refined sounding that the MKID. Similar to the difference between the MKID and the GZ67 but without as much of a voicing change.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

#stuckathomerecords contribution with Warbler MK1D

Hey, gang! My good friend Isamu McGregor, an excellent keyboardist/arranger/MD in Los Angeles, started a project called Stuck At Home Records that's organizing friends of his around the country to collaborate on tracks. The first week was quite an enjoyable quarantine-time diversion. This track was started by guitarist Carey Clayton, then Brian Holtz added bass and Joey Lefitz added drums. I went overboard with the finishing touches by stacking three saxophone tracks and three keyboard tracks on top. Two tenor tracks, one alto... Thought I'd post the video here since I recorded all the saxophone parts with my trusty Warbler MK1D. Voicing 1, cardioid.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@ Progger

Sounds fantastic bud!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Thank you! I'm missing playing with other live musicians right now, but these collaborative projects are an enjoyable way to stay creative in quarantine. If this pandemic has to happen, I'm glad it's during a time in our history where we have this level of communication technology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
@ Progger

Sounds fantastic bud!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I found this thread not long ago and was wondering how to actually get my hands on one of these mics, none are on ebay, the website has no prices or a way to buy through it and I really can't find how to purchase one.
I emailed the contact email but haven't heard anything back yet.

Want to try and get those CM1s in my modest vocal mic collection, think they might fill the gaps between my ADK Vienna mk8 and GT-67
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth View Post
I found this thread not long ago and was wondering how to actually get my hands on one of these mics, none are on ebay, the website has no prices or a way to buy through it and I really can't find how to purchase one.

Want to try and get those CM1s in my modest vocal mic collection, think they might fill the gaps between my ADK Vienna mk8 and GT-67
There are loads on eBay when I search
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you email [email protected]? That's the owner's email and that's the way to go for the best price and quickest response. He'll get back to you.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
There are loads on eBay when I search
I'm Australian (ironically just like 3U) and since the listings don't ship to Australia they won't show up for me. The only way I can see them is in recommended and recently viewed, if I go to the actual account and see their items nothing comes up.

Ragan, I did email that address, suppose that means I'll just wait for a response then.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
Hey, gang! My good friend Isamu McGregor, an excellent keyboardist/arranger/MD in Los Angeles, started a project called Stuck At Home Records that's organizing friends of his around the country to collaborate on tracks. The first week was quite an enjoyable quarantine-time diversion. This track was started by guitarist Carey Clayton, then Brian Holtz added bass and Joey Lefitz added drums. I went overboard with the finishing touches by stacking three saxophone tracks and three keyboard tracks on top. Two tenor tracks, one alto... Thought I'd post the video here since I recorded all the saxophone parts with my trusty Warbler MK1D. Voicing 1, cardioid.

Great!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

@ imdasloth -- Guosheng, the engineer/owner of 3U, sometimes takes a few days to reply even under normal circumstances, and I have no idea how the pandemic is affecting things for him. He's always replied to me within a couple days, though, and he's been very helpful and easy to work with in my experience. I wouldn't be surprised if Corona issues are holding things up, though, particularly for international trade out of southeast Asia.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post

Tasty! Love the horn playing.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
I'm Australian (ironically just like 3U) and since the listings don't ship to Australia they won't show up for me. The only way I can see them is in recommended and recently viewed, if I go to the actual account and see their items nothing comes up.

Ragan, I did email that address, suppose that means I'll just wait for a response then.
I've checked both eBay USA and Canada sites, there aren't any 3U Audio mics being sold on there period at the moment.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
I've checked both eBay USA and Canada sites, there aren't any 3U Audio mics being sold on there period at the moment.
I just took a look on eBay (USA), and there were about a dozen listings.

But to imdasloth, like someone else said, it often takes a few days to hear back via email, and considering everything that's happening right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little longer. So just hold tight!
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike110492 View Post
I just took a look on eBay (USA), and there were about a dozen listings.

But to imdasloth, like someone else said, it often takes a few days to hear back via email, and considering everything that's happening right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little longer. So just hold tight!
It's weird that I can't find them.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...audio&_sacat=0
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found them on eBay in the USA by searching “warbler mic”
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I found them on eBay in the USA by searching “warbler mic”
I found one in some used bundle by searching that. For whatever reason I can't find them, even looking at Guosheng's eBay store on both ebay.com and ebay.ca
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found one in some used bundle by searching that. For whatever reason I can't find them, even looking at Guosheng's eBay store on both ebay.com and ebay.ca
Did packermans link above work for you?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I wonder if the Rumor was true, that they provided Warm's capsules? I got the sense, the 3U circuits/components are somewhat better, in any case.
Chris
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Were you looking at "handicraft2014" ?

https://www.ebay.com/usr/handicraft2...p2047675.l2559
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search