The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.m. son View Post
So, looking for some advice/recommendations on a condenser mic for vocals. I've been using the gz251 fet for the past year, and while I think it's a great mic on the right source, I'm finding there's things about it that aren't very flattering on my voice. On the right voice (my girlfriend's, for example) it brings out a really nice airy quality in the high end, but on mine it just sounds sizzle-y and unnatural. I'm not a great singer, by any means, but I just don't think my voice needs to be emphasized in that area. Besides the high end, I also find myself cutting a lot of lows and boosting the high mids a bit to make it sit right in the music I'm making.

I'm adding two audio samples, one using the gz251 and one using an electro-voice re-15, which I find to sound nicer and more rounded on my voice. Kind of what I'm looking for in the condenser, as well. Could just stick with the re-15, I suppose, but I'm afraid it might be on its last legs (gets crackly sometimes). The samples are double tracked, because it helps accentuate that high end crispiness in the gz251.

I'm thinking about trying another 3u, because I think the quality to price point ratio is very good compared to other companies, although, I'm not opposed to something else. For those that have experience, would another 3u model be different enough to warrant the change? Anyone have an opinion on what they think might sound better on my voice? Thanks for any advice!
In any case, get a GZ with a center terminated capsule, either 47 or 67.
This will complement your GZ251 well.
Yin and yang.
Just like you and your girlfriend.
Well, sort of.
I guess …
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oops, forgot the samples!
I like the reality and dimension of the GZ251 but the mid push of the RE15 does sound cool (and I love those mics). I'd echo what legato says. Get something center terminated.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
In any case, get a GZ with a center terminated capsule, either 47 or 67.
This will complement your GZ251 well.
Yin and yang.
Just like you and your girlfriend.
Well, sort of.
I guess …
Thanks! Would it be correct to say the gz47 will have an even greater mid push than the gz67, which in turn will have more air than the 47?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Would it be correct to say the gz47 will have an even greater mid push than the gz67, which in turn will have more air than the 47?
Yeah, more or less. This is a matter that doesn't really or fully show in graphs BTW. But I'd say you're on the right track there.

O, and both the 47 and 67 come in two flavors. So that's still four to choose from.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
The Teal CM-1 keeps on surprising me with male vocals. I recorded some vocals for a band last week, male tenorish kinda rock singer with a little falsetto thrown in.
We had a shoot out of 5 mics: the CM-1, the MKID, an SM7B, Beyerdynamic M88TG and a Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon.
Going back and forth over the clips for some time, all three people in the room (me included) preferred the clarity of the CM-1 over the other mics.

I’ve also heard the same thing from other people, preferring the CM-1 over an MKID on male vocals. With how affordable that thing is, you might want to give it a try. Even if doesn’t work for your voice, there’s a million uses for it. It’s also killer on acoustic guitar, just sounds incredibly nice and smooth and clear.

That mic, in my opinion, is truly the best bang for buck there is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sounds like my AKG P120 (black)
Chris
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

a.m. son, the GZ47 is quite a bit darker than the GZ67. Ask yourself if you are constantly cutting lows and low mids or boosting them on your own voice recordings.

poika, I've been thinking the exact same thing about the Teal, I've used it for lead vocals on many recordings. I just recorded some spoken word stuff and the Teal is just super clear. The black cm1 is way above it's price point in quality sound too, but the Teal seems like it's been suiting my voice better lately.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Which CM1 sounds fuller?
Thanks, Chris
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Hey Chris, I like the black cm1 on rock and some pop but like the Teal on more acoustic and intimate stuff and especially when I sing in my lower range. I'd say the Teal sounds fuller, the black one more mid focused. They both work quite well on any style though, really.

Somewhere in that long 3u Audio sound example thread a gentleman posted a cover of a Johnny Cash song I'd never heard before. He did a guitar vocal demo of a song called '13' and used a Warbler MKIV for the vocal. I listened to the Cash version and didn't really care for it, but really dug the version he posted so I covered it playing multiple instruments. This is all first take pretty much but I'm singing through the Teal into a Langevin DVC.

https://clyp.it/1btqaadj
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search