The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Nah, the V11 isn't brightly voiced.

In fact, it's one of those dark-ish side of neutral/ "ribbon-ish" toned LDC's, like the other ones... Listed on my last post.

Don't laugh but on your voice...
SM7 (or SM58) >Soyuz Laucher could sound way cool too. I'm going to try that out, for myself, next NAMM.

But you'll get more detail, on a condenser.
Chris
P.S. Sound On Sound gave a good review, on the
V11, over on their website.

Sm7b is actually one of few mics I got to properly audion and really liked the way it sounded, being that the noisy environment of the Namm show and Guitar center didn't feel like the best way to test mics, especially since things can come out sounding a lot different after mixing.

Would the SM7B be good for singing too? I do a mix of singing and rapping and record out of my bedroom. It has some decent treatment with 2 acoustic panels and 2 bass trap panels.

I was told dynamic might suit my needs better for recording in my bedroom, but then again then MkI is going for only 200 (used) at a source im looking at.

So right now I'm sort of at MKI vs V11 vs SM7B
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

ThaAstronaut, by focused I mean more 'upfront' and 'in your face.' I think the Mk IV is more suited to acoustic and intimate recordings where the Mk 1D would be better for rock and rap in that it stands out more in a mix. They would both be great for pop and country but the Mk ID I think would be better suited for what you're doing. I don't think you'd be happy with a dynamic like the SM7 at all. I thought the recording you posted sounded excellent with the Mk IV, but I can see how you don't want to treat it in post to get it workable. Thinking the Mk 1D would solve a lot of problems in that direction and not need to be fussed with so much. Also remember that too much compression can make sss's and consonants go crazy, maybe back off the compressor a bit recording and use another one post to get your desired result.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

While I agree with the main body, of David C's posts above...

I respectfully differ, regarding the SM7 for the OP's voice. SM7 (or SM58/57) with any needed processing, would yield a high quality Rap and/or singing track. Along with the U87 and Sony C800G, it's a Classic Hip Hop vocal mic.

Astronaut, what pre's are you using?
Chris
P.S. Between SM7/58/57...SM7 is usually the
best suited on the "bright" voice.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
While I agree with the main body, of David C's posts above...

I respectfully differ, regarding the SM7 for the OP's voice. SM7 (or SM58/57) with any needed processing, would yield a high quality Rap and/or singing track. Along with the U87 and Sony C800G, it's a Classic Hip Hop vocal mic.

Astronaut, what pre's are you using?
Chris
P.S. Between SM7/58/57...SM7 is usually the
best suited on the "bright" voice.

Not using any Pre's just plugging into my Komplete Audio 6 interface
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Ha Chris, I realize it's a travesty to bad mouth the SM7 on gearslutz but I just think it's a very over rated mic. I have an old Shure Unidyne III that mops the floor with an SM7. It could just be on my voice though. The most let down I've ever been with a dynamic was with the SM7 and the RE20.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I hear you David. My suggestion was based on the tone of Astronaut's (quite excellent) voice. A good Buddy of mine, has a vintage "Made In USA" Unidyne III SM57.
Partly as he already has that... I sold my collection of mint/vintage Shure's (56/57/546) when the values went way up. I know what you mean.

IMHO even a "Made In Mexico" modern Unidyne III, would be a good fit. The main issue is how to properly process it for excellent results. You WILL need to EQ it etc.,
to get a high level Pro sounding Rap and/or Vocal. If someone has a John Leckie/Flood/Bob Ohlsson recording them on a Shure, no problema!

But the biggie, for LOUD singers (like me!) is medium to high volume singing, in the typical bedroom.
Other things equal, the typical dynamic will beat out the usual LDC in this-avoiding bad room tone.

If you've ever heard any of my acapella clips, they are all at low to very moderate volume levels.
In my 30's, they were up to the volume of a Small Opera House singer/under 700 seats (huge for most singers!/probably Medium Size Venue now at 60).

Due to the "Hipster" association with the SM7... Honestly "I myself" was a bit turned off. Until I sang SM7>Little Labs LMNOPre.

Which kinda blew my mind on how great it sounded on me. Using my fave vocal mic of all as a "10"-the 44 ribbon, gave that chain a solid 9+.
Hangin' with some uber expensive LDC's, better than U87ai FWIW. Would give SM7>Grace 101 serious thought too, if starting from scratch.
Chris

P.S. If you choose to go the SM7 route Astronaut, I'd either scoop either up an SE Dynamite for "clean"...
Used Studio Projects VTB-1/or Aphex 107. Or new Soyuz Launcher for "color".
You may have gain issues, just on the stock Audio 6 pre's.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yup, a good mic deserves a good pre.

The old adage still holds true.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately that used MKI i saw got swooped up, so I'll hold out til Friday. If I don't see it on sale again in a week ill probably get the JZ Vintage 11 or the SM7B... Unless I want to give Warbler another shot.

I'm thinking of getting 2 mics and sending one back that I like less than the other.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey, sorry for bumping an old-ish thread, but after looking around for a bit this thread struck me as the right place to ask. I'm curious what people's thoughts are on using a 3u mic for solo brass recording (specifically trumpet).

I'm using an r121 right now, which I love for its smoothness, but the figure 8 pattern and the inherent "darkness" of the mic is making my recordings sound a little dull rn for anything other than room sound. I was thinking a balanced LDC as the mid in a mid/side setup might help get some more of that "sparkle" to the core sound. Was leaning toward the MKIV because I like the general color of ELAM251s so much, but I wanted to get other people's thoughts before I went for that mic in particular.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Hey Sweaty, I was gonna say that I thought the Warbler Mk IV would be a good fit for trumpet. It's also got two darker settings if the bright is too much and a pad if you overload working a bit close. It's often compared to the 414 and does sound similar with a bit more air. I've recorded my sax with my 414 and it's a good fit, think the mk IV would be the best Warbler for trumpet.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
Hey Sweaty, I was gonna say that I thought the Warbler Mk IV would be a good fit for trumpet. It's also got two darker settings if the bright is too much and a pad if you overload working a bit close. It's often compared to the 414 and does sound similar with a bit more air. I've recorded my sax with my 414 and it's a good fit, think the mk IV would be the best Warbler for trumpet.
Thanks David! Appreciate the feedback and comparison to sax on the 414, given how few examples are posted here of instrumental recordings outside of guitar and drums. I think the voice switching and pads make it a good candidate for handling the high spls that can get thrown around with brass.

Just ordered my MKIV this morning, I can't wait to hear how it sounds!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search