The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Just received both the Teal and Black CM-1's today. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I ordered on Sept. 10 from ebay, which means it took 13 days.

My supposed delivery window was Sept. 26-Oct 22, so needless to say, I am pleased with the early arrivals.
Old 23rd September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Dude View Post
Just received both the Teal and Black CM-1's today. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I ordered on Sept. 10 from ebay, which means it took 13 days.

My supposed delivery window was Sept. 26-Oct 22, so needless to say, I am pleased with the early arrivals.
Did you get a better price by emailing GZ?
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Nah. Price seemed fair on ebay, so I just pulled the trigger.

...had a few $$$ built up from paypal gig payments, so I paid for it with free money
Old 24th September 2019
Lives for gear

The Dude abides...
Great "user/handle" name BTW-like Mr. Funk's.
Chris
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, that’s just like, your opinion, man.
Old 12th October 2019
What's the Warbler MKIIID like? The frequency response leads me to believe it's like similar C12 clones. The plots actually look shockingly close to the Advanced Audio CM12se.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

I think you've answered your own question.
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
I think you've answered your own question.
Yeah, I guess so. I was hoping to hear from someone who has tried it though. The MKIIID seems to be a C12 copy, and the MKIVD seems to be an ELA M 251 copy. The MKVID seems interesting too, I've heard Voicing 1 is like a C800G, V2 is like a U87ai, and V3 is a vintage U87 sound.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Yeah, I guess so. I was hoping to hear from someone who has tried it though. The MKIIID seems to be a C12 copy, and the MKIVD seems to be an ELA M 251 copy. The MKVID seems interesting too, I've heard Voicing 1 is like a C800G, V2 is like a U87ai, and V3 is a vintage U87 sound.
None of them are copies, all original designs. Capsules tuned to be in the realm of those noted microphones.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.m. son View Post
None of them are copies, all original designs. Capsules tuned to be in the realm of those noted microphones.
Well, may not be copies of the classics but maybe ADK would argue about them being original designs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Well, may not be copies of the classics but maybe ADK would argue about them being original designs.
I’m not sure that implication goes the direction you think it does.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Gz251 fet user here. Really like the mic on my (male) vocals, especially for slower songs and sparser arrangements. But sometimes I find myself having to boost in the upper mids to get it to cut enough in a denser arrangement. Anyone with experience have any thoughts on what would make a good complement in the 3u line?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Gz251 fet user here. Really like the mic on my (male) vocals, especially for slower songs and sparser arrangements. But sometimes I find myself having to boost in the upper mids to get it to cut enough in a denser arrangement. Anyone with experience have any thoughts on what would make a good complement in the 3u line?
Maybe the Warbler MKID, if you want a flat one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hello a.m. son, the mic you have is edge terminated, I'd try a 3U center terminated one. If you want darker get one of the 47 ones, but I have the GZ67 and it's super clear with nice air on top and weight on the bottom. I'd highly recommend it. The GZ251 is a bit scooped in the mids which, as you say, works well in acoustic stuff. The GZ67 is more mid-forward and I think a perfect rock and pop mic. It does well on slow felt stuff as well but shines with denser mixes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
I'd try a 3U center terminated one.
^

This.

But keep the 251!

Yin and yang.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
^

This.

But keep the 251!

Yin and yang.
Oh, the 251 isn’t going anywhere! It sounds just great in a dense mix, too, but I find myself reaching for a broad boost around 2-3khz more often than not.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, the 251 isn’t going anywhere! It sounds just great in a dense mix, too, but I find myself reaching for a broad boost around 2-3khz more often than not.
In that case: 47.
Old 4 weeks ago
MYN
Gear Addict

Quote:
In that case: 47.
+1
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm just looking for that broad boost.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I'm just looking for that broad boost.
Chris
You could try some multi band compression?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry, just one band is more than enough!

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

well, I'm using my GZ251 on vocals these days, and gulfoss works wonderfully on it. Just a 20% or less of tame and recover. Clarifies the vocals, lessens resonances and helps the vocals to cut in the mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Guys are the GZ67fet and GZ800 tube different enough to be justified buying them both ?

I would like to have one allround mic, and I read here that people saying GZ67fet sounds like a vintage u87, which I dig.

Also I would like to have one super bright (in a good way) tube mic.

Ideally, I would like to have one with slight midrange push (u87 style gz67fet???) and one with the high mid dip.

Right now I have self moded NT2 (with peluso PK47 capsule) which has a bit high midrange push, and self moded SE z5600a (with RK12 capsule) which is kinda airy but dipped in the mids, so when one mic works on a vocalist the other doesn't and vice versa, although some vocalists sound great on both.

But I would like to add more to the arsenal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Probably somewhat heinous, in view of the thread topic but...
I'd put the (used) Sennheiser 441 and/or the M88TG, on your shortlist.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Probably somewhat heinous, in view of the thread topic but...
I'd put the (used) Sennheiser 441 and/or the M88TG, on your shortlist.
Chris
Of course !

Few good dynamics all the way up ! I love 441, never tried M88TG but I heard people praising it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just ordered a Warbler Mki, looking forward to trying it out and reporting back. The service was amazingly swift, once I figured out that you have to contact the seller to place an order.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

So, I got the Teal and Black CM-1s a while back, then promptly left the country for a couple weeks. Only just now really working with them...

...and I have an issue.

I am a VERY loud singer. It's not by choice, just how my voice works. I have to be loud to get tone and range.

My problem is, at about 18" away from either mic, using a windscreen, I am making them distort. I've tried the different pad settings and such, but it just makes it so they still distort, but have lower output.

This is not so good for me, as I sing in a vocal booth in my apartment, and really can't back off any more. Ideally, I'd get closer to the mic, because it lets me use the limited space I have better.

My crappy old Sterling Audio mic stays clean all the way in to about an inch off the mic no matter how loud I am singing. I had a Rode NT1 before that, and it was the same.

Anybody else having this problem? Any ideas for a fix? Should I just not be singing at these guys?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

L.A. Dude, that is weird because I am usually way louder than anyone I sing with. I also have the black and teal cm1s and I only distort them if I get within maybe 4". I put the pad on and no worries. I'm not sure what's going on but I'd check other parts of your chain. I don't think it's the mics.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Nothing is impossible, but do seriously check your gain staging.

Last edited by legato; 3 days ago at 11:29 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I'll have a look, but I'm just saying, the same chain with a different mic is clean.

It's just Mic>Mackie Onyx>Delta 1010...

Sometimes I patch in an 1176 style thingy over the insert. Sometimes I don't.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search