Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/999545-affordable-ldc-microphone-multiple-voicings.html)

David C. 24th April 2019 06:21 PM

Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos

Scroll down a bit and look for 73mk2 posts for spoken and singing examples of the GZ800fet.

infinite.sky 3rd May 2019 04:59 AM

hey guys how about Warble MKID vs WA87 ?? Which one is better ??

JamesG602 3rd May 2019 05:42 AM

I have a set of WA87s with the zen pro audio mod and they sound amazing!

Ragan 3rd May 2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite.sky (Post 13959556)
hey guys how about Warble MKID vs WA87 ?? Which one is better ??

The WA87 sounds like a GZ version of the MKID.

Dohreetoh 11th May 2019 11:06 AM

How does the MKID compare to a non-ai U87? If you don't have the budget for a U87, but want as close to a U87 sound as possible with only spending a few hundred bucks is the MKID the way to go?

I'm looking at it, because I want something with the Neumann style sound in my mic locker, since the LDCs I have are more of an AKG sound (the sE Electronics T2 is pretty flat though, so maybe I should just use it for a neutral sound, though I really bought it to throw a CK12 capsule in to make a cheap brass C414 style mic, though I think I might replace it with another Lewitt LCT 441 Flex if I'm just going to be using a brighter capsule, since the good CK12 capsules cost the same as another LCT 441).

a.m. son 11th May 2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dohreetoh (Post 13976262)
How does the MKID compare to a non-ai U87? If you don't have the budget for a U87, but want as close to a U87 sound as possible with only spending a few hundred bucks is the MKID the way to go?

I'm looking at it, because I want something with the Neumann style sound in my mic locker, since the LDCs I have are more of an AKG sound (the sE Electronics T2 is pretty flat though, so maybe I should just use it for a neutral sound, though I really bought it to throw a CK12 capsule in to make a cheap brass C414 style mic, though I think I might replace it with another Lewitt LCT 441 Flex if I'm just going to be using a brighter capsule, since the good CK12 capsules cost the same as another LCT 441).

There’s some direct comparisons in the 3u audio mic demos thread

Ragan 11th May 2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dohreetoh (Post 13976262)

In my view, it's by far the closest you'll get to a U87 for that kind of money. It's quite close.

Scroll down a ways and there are several comparison clips of MKID vs U87.

https://soundcloud.com/fir_out

chessparov2.0 11th May 2019 11:48 PM

A shootout, between the 2 AA Microphone versions of the 87, and the 3U version, would be most interesting IMHO...
Chris

tkaitkai 29th May 2019 01:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Had a little fun today. Did a quick comparison between four mics on an acoustic guitar and thought I'd share. Used the following:

Neumann M149 (in omni)
3U Warbler 127 (omni flat)
Dayton Audio EMM-6
MCA SP-1

All going into a Vintech X73 (EQ off) -> Distressor (in bypass) -> Apollo. Completely unscientific — not level matched and the mic placement wasn't precise (~1ft. from 14th fret). Please excuse the sh*tty playing. ;)

The Warbler is a little underwhelming at first, but it really shines when you add EQ. The Vintech's high shelf is perfect for this. I love how the M149 handles transients, but if I'm being honest, my personal favorite is definitely the EMM-6 — I'm continually amazed by how good it sounds on acoustic guitar. It's become a secret weapon for me, and best of all, it's only $60.

Enjoy!

Mr Funk 29th May 2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkaitkai (Post 14007819)
Hey guys,

Had a little fun today. Did a quick comparison between four mics on an acoustic guitar and thought I'd share. Used the following:

Neumann M149 (in omni)
Dayton Audio EMM-6
MCA SP-1

All going into a Vintech X73 (EQ off) -> Distressor (in bypass) -> Apollo. Completely unscientific — not level matched and the mic placement wasn't precise (~1ft. from 14th fret). Please excuse the sh*tty playing. ;)

The Warbler is a little underwhelming at first, but it really shines when you add EQ. The Vintech's high shelf is perfect for this. I love how the M149 handles transients, but if I'm being honest, my personal favorite is definitely the EMM-6 — I'm continually amazed by how good it sounds on acoustic guitar. It's become a secret weapon for me, and best of all, it's only $60.

Enjoy!

I agree the EMM-6 sounded bloody lovely, but I think the 127 was the closest to it and the SP-1 sounded similar but just had some more bite to the strumming which could work on some things for more snap or aggression but I assume with a transient shaper, it could sound closer to the other 2. The Neumann was the most different sounding as would be expected, but just too boring for me on this instrument in isolation. That EMM-6 though, for such little money is great! How does it stack up against the 127 in other areas like drum overheads or congas etc?

Mr Funk 29th May 2019 12:28 PM

I wonder if the Dayton is the exact same mic as the Behringer ECM8000, as this too has a good rep and is even cheaper (£35).

tkaitkai 30th May 2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Funk (Post 14008366)
I wonder if the Dayton is the exact same mic as the Behringer ECM8000, as this too has a good rep and is even cheaper (£35).

From what I remember, I believe it's the same mic (or at least very similar). I think the Sonarworks and IK ARC 2 mics are also in the same vein.

D-Fyant 10th June 2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 (Post 12051539)
Please keep me posted on your impressions of the Warbler. I've been following the Warbler 3U threads since they started, but I've learned over the years to let the hype and dust settle before jumping on any of the latest and greatest gear all the "cool kids" are chasing because more often than not enthusiasm fizzles with time. I try to stick with stuff that's tried and true. I'm sure the Warbler 3U is a fine mic, but I have some fine LDCs now. I don't use them very often for lead vocals, however, for the very reasons cited. Another LDC isn't going to change the variables that lead me to preferring the SM7b on vocals the majority of the time. But, if there was a LDC that came along and truly had the potential to be a game changer for me then I'd buy it.

The RE20 has been on my short list for years, btw. Like you said, the dynamic mics seems to fit in the mix much easier than most LDCs.

I know it's been a pretty long time but I can give you a pretty good answer on my impressions of the Warblers now! :heh:

While I wanted a relatively bright pop/sheen mic, the Warbler MKVID was a little too bright in the wrong frequencies too often for my use cases.

I ended up also buying the original Warbler (Warbler MKI) and it has basically been my go to mic. It's the mic that I grab first for new vocalists and it usually works pretty great. It takes EQ pretty well too, although I find the results pretty close to what I want already.

It has great balance as well as sibilance rejection, but still retains air in the frequencies right above the sibilant range.

I recorded This Vocal with a Warbler MKI (Not the chorus but the verse).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, but I kinda want to grab the GZ67FET or the GZ67 Tube.....you know how GAS goes boing :facepalm: :lol:

D-Fyant

iGmole 13th June 2019 04:58 PM

Hi again. I am simply loving my CM-1 Blacks as drum overheads. Attached for your pleasure (I hope) are two MP3's of a drum recording, one in context and one with only the drum bus soloed. The amount of detail in the cymbals is ridiculous; how can the attack of the crashes be so nicely captured at this price point? Also they seem to take compression and EQ quite a lot before sounding too harsh so there's room for creativity when mixing:D

EDIT: oops, something happened with the attachements. Well here's a link then:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjJ374CNx6OEgaVPwLz3_xgXP8cqnQ

ARIEL 14th June 2019 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iGmole (Post 14037277)
Hi again. I am simply loving my CM-1 Blacks as drum overheads. Attached for your pleasure (I hope) are two MP3's of a drum recording, one in context and one with only the drum bus soloed. The amount of detail in the cymbals is ridiculous; how can the attack of the crashes be so nicely captured at this price point? Also they seem to take compression and EQ quite a lot before sounding too harsh so there's room for creativity when mixing:D

EDIT: oops, something happened with the attachements. Well here's a link then:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjJ374CNx6OEgaVPwLz3_xgXP8cqnQ

The cymbals sound quite nice, could load up a mix of just the OH's unprocessed?

iGmole 14th June 2019 07:00 AM

Oh why of course. Here are all the raw tracks.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjJ374CNx6OEgaVX...cM3YA?e=hOUwVa

Rob Coates 14th June 2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkaitkai (Post 14007819)
Hey guys,

Neumann M149 (in omni)
Dayton Audio EMM-6
MCA SP-1

Enjoy!

I actually liked the SP-1 the best. I have a modded pair of SP-1s that I use all the time.

ARIEL 14th June 2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iGmole (Post 14038561)
Oh why of course. Here are all the raw tracks.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjJ374CNx6OEgaVX...cM3YA?e=hOUwVa

Brilliant !!! thanks for sharing. :)

HeadlessDinosaur 15th June 2019 01:38 AM

I recently got a stereo pair of Warm Audio Wa47jr's. For $299 its a killer mic. Multipattern and versatile. I have had great results using it as overheads, a kick mic, electric guitar and vocal. While I dont think it sounds like a fet 47 it def has a great mojo going for it.

3rdstone 15th June 2019 07:25 PM

Been a long time since I posted in this thread, and I don't have time to sift through all of it.
Back when I bought my Mk1D's, they hadn't developed the MkIIID dual diaphragm yet, which if memory serves, was a C12-style edge terminated capsule mic...
Anyone own one of these? ..or further, have any sound-clips?
Jus wonderin' ..if no, disregard this post and carry on...:heh:

Diogo C 27th August 2019 07:28 PM

Does anybody knows if 3U is still shipping new mics?

I saw on ebay that their warehouse is closed until Sept. 2nd due to a Chinese holiday but there's no inventory available so I'm wondering if it's still possible to get a Black CM-1.

Ragan 27th August 2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo C (Post 14170860)
Does anybody knows if 3U is still shipping new mics?

I saw on ebay that their warehouse is closed until Sept. 2nd due to a Chinese holiday but there's no inventory available so I'm wondering if it's still possible to get a Black CM-1.

I've never gone through eBay or the 3U site or anything, I've always just emailed Guosheng. That's the best way for accurate inventory info and quickest response, I'd just try that.

[email protected]

Diogo C 27th August 2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragan (Post 14170963)
I've never gone through eBay or the 3U site or anything, I've always just emailed Guosheng. That's the best way for accurate inventory info and quickest response, I'd just try that.

[email protected]

Thanks Ragan, will drop Guosheng a message! kfhkh

L.A. Dude 11th September 2019 06:23 PM

Y'all convinced me...I discovered this thread a few days ago after falling down a Beatles' gear rabbit hole and looking for inexpensive U47 style mics.

I have ordered both Teal and Black variants of the CM1 to check out the manufacturer (I know neither is u47 based)...both sound like no-lose investments.

If they are as good as everybody here seems to think, I'll get a second CM1 so I have a stereo pair for stuff and things, and probably get one of the Warblers, maybe the MKII so I can try some Beatles-style tricks.

One thing I noticed on the 3U site is that there are "D" variations of some of the mics now (Warbler MKIVD, Warbler MKIID, ETC).

Without looking through 100+ pages, does anybody know what the difference is with the D ones?

This is also my first post here after lurking for years...so hi everybody.

Mr Funk 11th September 2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Dude (Post 14200146)
Y'all convinced me...I discovered this thread a few days ago after falling down a Beatles' gear rabbit hole and looking for inexpensive U47 style mics.

I have ordered both Teal and Black variants of the CM1 to check out the manufacturer (I know neither is u47 based)...both sound like no-lose investments.

If they are as good as everybody here seems to think, I'll get a second CM1 so I have a stereo pair for stuff and things, and probably get one of the Warblers, maybe the MKII so I can try some Beatles-style tricks.

One thing I noticed on the 3U site is that there are "D" variations of some of the mics now (Warbler MKIVD, Warbler MKIID, ETC).

Without looking through 100+ pages, does anybody know what the difference is with the D ones?

Hi!

D versions are multi-pattern.

L.A. Dude 11th September 2019 06:43 PM

Thanks! kfhkh

David C. 11th September 2019 07:27 PM

I have both the black and teal cm1s and they are just insanely good mics for the money!

Rocket88 11th September 2019 08:55 PM

Ha ha :lol: this thread led me to finally get a username about a hundred pages ago, or so. I lurked for YEARS before that. Welcome to the conversation!

Quote:

MYN 12th September 2019 11:49 PM

The "D" signifies that it's a multi pattern mic with Cardioid, Fig8 and Omni, as opposed to the regular models that are just cardioid.

Dohreetoh 14th September 2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

The MKIID might be what you want, there's one used on the classifieds here (the seller listed it as an MKID though). I believe it's U47 inspired, but it's a multipattern solid state mic. The used price wasn't too bad IIRC. But the multipattern Warblers are only something like $350 new to begin with.