The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 12th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampa View Post
I quite like the stereo imaging of that overhead sound. How did you set the mics up?
Thanks! It is an ORTF setup at a reasonably low height. With a better stand I'll be able to center the kick drum in the stereo field too :D But yes, I immediately noticed how accurately each drum and cymbal is presented in the stereo image in their own places. Made me almost emotional.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head

Great work!
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Addict

Hey guys, I had my GZ251 tube mic modified by Shannon Rhoades of Mic Rehab. He listened to a clip of my voice and suggested to tweak the capsule to make it sound like a cross between an ELAM 251 and a Neumann M-269 which he thinks is the best for my voice. So the mic has the creamy glory of a 251 and the smokey, intimate flavor of a M-269.

I'd like to post the recordings of the original mic vs the modified mic. Here's the original mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Original Mic

And here's the modified mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Modified Mic

The song is Caroline Goodbye by Colin Blunstone, former lead singer of the Zombies. Please pardon the production as it's hurriedly done, no reverb or compression or any effects whatsoever, no edits, not even punch ins. It's just a straight through vocal recording from beginning to end.

And oh, the backing track is from the original track by Colin Blunstone which I "devocalized" with some software. The vocal removal is not perfect -- it can never be -- as you can still hear a tiny bit of Colin's voice in the refrain part of the song.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Hey guys, I had my GZ251 tube mic modified by Shannon Rhoades of Mic Rehab. He listened to a clip of my voice and suggested to tweak the capsule to make it sound like a cross between an ELAM 251 and a Neumann M-269 which he thinks is the best for my voice. So the mic has the creamy glory of a 251 and the smokey, intimate flavor of a M-269.

I'd like to post the recordings of the original mic vs the modified mic. Here's the original mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Original Mic

And here's the modified mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Modified Mic

The song is Caroline Goodbye by Colin Blunstone, former lead singer of the Zombies. Please pardon the production as it's hurriedly done, no reverb or compression or any effects whatsoever, no edits, not even punch ins. It's just a straight through vocal recording from beginning to end.

And oh, the backing track is from the original track by Colin Blunstone which I "devocalized" with some software. The vocal removal is not perfect -- it can never be -- as you can still hear a tiny bit of Colin's voice in the refrain part of the song.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I certainly here the extra weight in the lower mids after the mod.
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I certainly here the extra weight in the lower mids after the mod.
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Yeah, that's what I think too. And it also sounds fuller and warmer and more 3D to me. It inspires me when I sing. I love it!
Old 19th February 2019
Dude shannon is a magic worker. His mic's are incredible. Although I sold it and I don't have it anymore, I had an apex 460 that was modded in the vein of a u67 and its still the best sounding mic I have ever heard.
Old 23rd February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Dude shannon is a magic worker. His mic's are incredible. Although I sold it and I don't have it anymore, I had an apex 460 that was modded in the vein of a u67 and its still the best sounding mic I have ever heard.
Smart choice: Buy an inexpensive mic that's "almost there", then have Shannon mod it.

Shannon was also highly recommended by KidVybes (OP of this thread).
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Addict

I picked up a Teal used so I now have it and the Black CM1. I can't believe how quality these mics sound. I think the Teal works better with my voice, seems like the black 87 style capsule pushes too much in the low mids where I don't need emphasis where the Teal C-12 style brings out lows but not low mids as much where I have a load of that in my voice.

I'm wondering if Guosheng can tune a Warbler or GZ a bit. It seems like the difference between the Warbler 1 and VI are mostly capsule tweaks and maybe some component changes. I think I'd like a Mk IV D or GZ 251 tuned a bit brighter. Actually, brighter isn't exactly what I mean, less low mids and lows. Everyone seems to want darker variants of these mics but I'm the opposite, my voice has too much dark in it to start with.

Anyway, no desire to sell my German Panther mic any time soon, but I definitely want to try out a Warbler or GZ one of these days.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve decided to sell my GZ251 fet.

If anyone’s interested, PM me.
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
I picked up a Teal used so I now have it and the Black CM1. I can't believe how quality these mics sound. I think the Teal works better with my voice, seems like the black 87 style capsule pushes too much in the low mids where I don't need emphasis where the Teal C-12 style brings out lows but not low mids as much where I have a load of that in my voice.

I'm wondering if Guosheng can tune a Warbler or GZ a bit. It seems like the difference between the Warbler 1 and VI are mostly capsule tweaks and maybe some component changes. I think I'd like a Mk IV D or GZ 251 tuned a bit brighter. Actually, brighter isn't exactly what I mean, less low mids and lows. Everyone seems to want darker variants of these mics but I'm the opposite, my voice has too much dark in it to start with.

Anyway, no desire to sell my German Panther mic any time soon, but I definitely want to try out a Warbler or GZ one of these days.
That sounds like the warbler iii or gz12
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Addict

There are so few examples of singing on the Warbler Mk III, but I've heard some I'm quite fond of featuring the mk IV and IVD. When Dennis did the spoken examples of the Mk IV voice positions and then the GZ 251, the 251 just sounded so dark and that won't suit me.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Haven't yet heard clips of all the 3U stuff.
But... The GZ 251 FET, is my favorite so far.
If I wasn't as well set up on vocal microphones, I'd look into that used GZ251. I bet they EQ well too.
Chris
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
There are so few examples of singing on the Warbler Mk III, but I've heard some I'm quite fond of featuring the mk IV and IVD. When Dennis did the spoken examples of the Mk IV voice positions and then the GZ 251, the 251 just sounded so dark and that won't suit me.
Here's a recording of the gz251 on acoustic and voice (not my voice) I did very very quickly on the first day I got the mic. Recorded straight into an apollo twin with no processing. Drums are a logic loop. Excuse any noise or bad room sound, it was done in my small apartment room right off the 110. To my ears it is definitely not a dark mic, it has a great high end articulation, but it is smooth and has a good thickness to it (maybe the thickness is what wouldn't work for you?).
Attached Files

3u Audio gz251 test.m4a (2.06 MB, 1172 views)

Old 24th February 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks Adam, and your clip is one of many I've already downloaded and taken in to listen to on my studio monitors. I will be the first to say that the GZ251 is one of the best female vocal mics I've ever heard but yes, my voice doesn't need weight or thickness. For example, my ex sounds amazing on my 414 b/uls but that mic on me sounds just crazy bassy and muddy.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Lovely voice and recording!
Chris
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

I have been attempting to buy an AA CM12se from Dave for a week now - no reply to phone calls or emails.

Did I miss something? Is he out of the game?

Looking like I'll have to go to another mic.
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
I have been attempting to buy an AA CM12se from Dave for a week now - no reply to phone calls or emails.

I’m not sure, but you stumbled into a 3u audio thread. Maybe it’s a sign...
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post

Dave often travels to china to manage his manufacturing operation there. He is very likly on one of those trips.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies re:Dave at AA. I’ll give him a few more days. I’ve got female singers from here till the end of March - I should have been on this earlier.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Nut

Cm1 vs ML-1

Has anyone here tried the black Cm-1 whole using the slate virtual mic software? I’m wondering How does it compare to the slate ml-1. I know the ml-1 and the
cm-1 black are supposed to be nuetral sounding mics so I’m wondering if anyone here as tried them both using the softwares virtual mics. Any difference in sound? Better or worse?
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

My Warbler MKIV is up for sale if anyone wants one. Low hour very minimal usueage. I just got a AA CM800T aka Advanced Audios tAke on the Sony C800G . So i d3cdied the Warbler needed to go. I will probably buy a another MKIVD down the road because I want switchable patterns nyways.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

I recently got a Black CM1 and was impressed with how clear and airy it sounded. I spent the weekend recording some vocals with a soprano friend of mine and the mic really worked with her voice, it just immediately sounded right to me. I used it a bit off axis (both tilted back and rotated slightly) and the recordings sounded great! I've been using it with UAD's Neve 1073 Unison plugin via my Apollo Twin.

I'm iffy about how it sounds on my own voice, however. I'm a brighter sounding baritone with a fondness for higher notes and my falsetto range. I like singing along with Paul McCartney (the non-falsetto notes in Hey Jude really push the highest notes I can hit without switching to falsetto, around F#4). Tone wise I think I'm the the same ballpark as Andrew VanWyngarden of MGMT or Kevin Parker of Tame Impala, bright with some nasal-y tendencies.

While the CM1 obviously sounds very clear and airy compared to my SM7B, it ends up being super sibilant and kind of thin with much sharper transients that have been hard to control. The SM7B lacks the nice clarity but sounds far smoother and has a bit of extra oomph even though I use the high pass filter on the mic itself and like to highpass my vocals ~125-175Hz anyway. It doesn't sound like total crap, but I think it would take a lot of processing to fit in a mix.

I've tried this mic in a variety of positions, using the pencil + pop filter trick, etc. Maybe I'm just one of those people that don't sound awesome on U87 flavored mics. I have never used a real U87, however.

Is there some type of 3U microphone (or some LDC in general) that any of you would recommend I try out?
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Along with any "usual suspects" that are about to be suggested...

Since I have a similar, though slighty lower pitched High Baritone, a good suggestion IMHO would be to consider also the Beyer M88TG dynamic microphone. BTW Parker's voice reminds me a lot of John Lennon's.
Since John sounded great on a 57, keep your SM7 at least for heavier mixes.

Also if you're singing F#'s in full voice, I bet you're really a Tenor.

FWIW I'm favoring "vintage-y ribbon-ish" LDC's and ribbons on my voice,
over the "bright/airy" thing. Low End LDC's for example, would include the Oktava 219/319 and new MK-119. The Vanguard V4 seems very interesting too.

Chris
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I have a black cm1 and what would seem to be a similar high baritone range. I prefer the teal cm1 for my voice.
It is a bit thicker - I think the 87 style is not best for me either. I can make it work - but get results that are immediately better imo from the 251 style capsule.
By the way - I also have 2 warblers and many other mics and The teal is a standout for me.

Good luck!

QUOTE=shvffle;13919836]I recently got a Black CM1 and was impressed with how clear and airy it sounded. I spent the weekend recording some vocals with a soprano friend of mine and the mic really worked with her voice, it just immediately sounded right to me. I used it a bit off axis (both tilted back and rotated slightly) and the recordings sounded great! I've been using it with UAD's Neve 1073 Unison plugin via my Apollo Twin.

I'm iffy about how it sounds on my own voice, however. I'm a brighter sounding baritone with a fondness for higher notes and my falsetto range. I like singing along with Paul McCartney (the non-falsetto notes in Hey Jude really push the highest notes I can hit without switching to falsetto, around F#4). Tone wise I think I'm the the same ballpark as Andrew VanWyngarden of MGMT or Kevin Parker of Tame Impala, bright with some nasal-y tendencies.

While the CM1 obviously sounds very clear and airy compared to my SM7B, it ends up being super sibilant and kind of thin with much sharper transients that have been hard to control. The SM7B lacks the nice clarity but sounds far smoother and has a bit of extra oomph even though I use the high pass filter on the mic itself and like to highpass my vocals ~125-175Hz anyway. It doesn't sound like total crap, but I think it would take a lot of processing to fit in a mix.

I've tried this mic in a variety of positions, using the pencil + pop filter trick, etc. Maybe I'm just one of those people that don't sound awesome on U87 flavored mics. I have never used a real U87, however.

Is there some type of 3U microphone (or some LDC in general) that any of you would recommend I try out?[/QUOTE]
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac

The warbler iv is really nice too - a bit less up front - which also means a bit smoother!
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Guys, any GZ800 samples ? I just found one here in the thread.

And how would you compare MKID to GZ67fet ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post

Hello Jan, there is a sample of the GZ 800 fet by a French gentleman of both spoken word and singing.

There is also a spoken demo of the GZ 800 tube mic. I think they are both in the sound example of 3U mics thread. They both sound great to me!

Also, Ragan did some great examples of the Mk ID vs the GZ 67fet on vocals and acoustic guitar, maybe drum overheads as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Scroll down for aways and you’ll find several GZ67 vs MKID clips.

Fir_Out | Fir Out | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Scroll down for aways and you’ll find several GZ67 vs MKID clips.

Fir_Out | Fir Out | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Quote:
Hello Jan, there is a sample of the GZ 800 fet by a French gentleman of both spoken word and singing.

There is also a spoken demo of the GZ 800 tube mic. I think they are both in the sound example of 3U mics thread. They both sound great to me!

Also, Ragan did some great examples of the Mk ID vs the GZ 67fet on vocals and acoustic guitar, maybe drum overheads as well.

Thank you guys, I'll try to find that gz800 french clip.

Also Ragan, those clips are super informative ! Especially u87 vs Gz67 and gz67 vs MKI and MKID.

If its allowed here, I would say that GZ67 sounds a touch more airy, like the highs are more extended than u87, but overall they are very similar.

Also the clips MKI and MKID vs GZ67, I would say that the same thing as vs u87 with an addition that the mids like 2k-4k sounds better on GZ47, MKI sounds a touch "cheaper" (for the lack of better words) than gz67.

I would say all of the 3uaudio line is a bargain. And a lot of my friends on my recommendations as a budget mic, bought MKI, and everyone is super happy.

I have my eyes on both gz67 (as a u87 style mic) and gz800, I was just wondering how they compare one to another... I would maybe research how gz47fet sound as well...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you guys, I'll try to find that gz800 french clip.

Also Ragan, those clips are super informative ! Especially u87 vs Gz67 and gz67 vs MKI and MKID.

If its allowed here, I would say that GZ67 sounds a touch more airy, like the highs are more extended than u87, but overall they are very similar.

Also the clips MKI and MKID vs GZ67, I would say that the same thing as vs u87 with an addition that the mids like 2k-4k sounds better on GZ47, MKI sounds a touch "cheaper" (for the lack of better words) than gz67.

I would say all of the 3uaudio line is a bargain. And a lot of my friends on my recommendations as a budget mic, bought MKI, and everyone is super happy.

I have my eyes on both gz67 (as a u87 style mic) and gz800, I was just wondering how they compare one to another... I would maybe research how gz47fet sound as well...
Yeah I think you're on to the basic differences. The GZ67Fet has an AMI transformer in it and I think you can hear the more elegant sonics it brings to the table. It's a velvety kind of sound with, as you note, more air than a U87 or U67.

I'm really fond of the MKIDs though too. I think they sound a helluva lot like U87s. Not identical of course but quite similar. In blind tests, I've picked the MKIDs as much as I've picked the U87. I'll never sell my pair, they're such workhorses. I maintain that they're the biggest bang for the buck in mics.

But if you want that extra touch of detail and classiness, the GZ options do deliver that from my experience.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search