The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Addict

Dr. Jule, I thought on the spoken word examples the Teal CM1 really held it's own. Very impressive considering it's price.
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
Somewhere in this long thread someone had a similar problem with a Teal it seems like. He was able to remove the body and tighten a screw holding a ground wire. If you are comfortable opening your mic up, it might be an easy fix.
Thanks I will give that a try later, I still haven’t heard back from Guosheng. I have a hunch it will be something simple to fix like that. I hadn’t looked inside yet because theres tamper indicators on all the screws.
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear

Sterling ST69. It's a multi pattern tube microphone, and the rumors are that it's a rebranded Groove Tubes design. Used to be around $600, but Guitar Center has been clearancing them out for under $200.

A total steal. I have two in my studio. I use it more than my 414XLS for vocals.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Ordered the GZ67fet on thursday night. Delivered at my door this morning. I can't belive how fast he operates. Will come back after having tried it out. Have the Warbler IV from before and that one get's alot of use.

Last edited by MagnusG; 4 weeks ago at 07:09 PM.. Reason: bad grammar
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Anyone got the GZ67 tube, and if so, what's the general consensus there? I've got the FET version and think it's terrific.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Roughly four years ago I wrote my first post on these forums. I was about to order the CM1 in both varieties - the teal and the black - but very quickly after that some financial poop hit the fan and so I never actually ordered them.

Well now I did. Except I went with two CM1 blacks. They will be replacing my Rode NT-5 pair which I really dislike because they make my cymbals sound like icicles shattering inside my ear canals.

YouTube here is a sample of this nasty experience with the Rode mics. I'll be posting some samples after I get them 3U mics. My goal is a softer, more pleasant but still reasonably bright sound. A less "peaky" sound I guess. I hope these mics deliver this :D
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Okay so the mics arrived really really quickly. Ordered on friday, got the mics on tuesday. I ran into a problem - the mics are too heavy for my cheap mic stand so I only managed to record this little clip before the mics started coming down due to their weight.

One is raw overhear audio (well there is a limiter which is not doing anything most of the time) . The other is a five minute mix which I threw together. The CM1 black is in a different sonical universe compared to the NT5's I sold. I am very happy with these!
Attached Files

CM1 black OH unprocessed.mp3 (2.66 MB, 933 views)

CM1 black OH whole.mp3 (2.66 MB, 955 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGmole View Post
Okay so the mics arrived really really quickly. Ordered on friday, got the mics on tuesday. I ran into a problem - the mics are too heavy for my cheap mic stand so I only managed to record this little clip before the mics started coming down due to their weight.

One is raw overhear audio (well there is a limiter which is not doing anything most of the time) . The other is a five minute mix which I threw together. The CM1 black is in a different sonical universe compared to the NT5's I sold. I am very happy with these!
wow!!! sounds great!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGmole View Post
Okay so the mics arrived really really quickly. Ordered on friday, got the mics on tuesday.
I quite like the stereo imaging of that overhead sound. How did you set the mics up?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampa View Post
I quite like the stereo imaging of that overhead sound. How did you set the mics up?
Thanks! It is an ORTF setup at a reasonably low height. With a better stand I'll be able to center the kick drum in the stereo field too :D But yes, I immediately noticed how accurately each drum and cymbal is presented in the stereo image in their own places. Made me almost emotional.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Great work!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Hey guys, I had my GZ251 tube mic modified by Shannon Rhoades of Mic Rehab. He listened to a clip of my voice and suggested to tweak the capsule to make it sound like a cross between an ELAM 251 and a Neumann M-269 which he thinks is the best for my voice. So the mic has the creamy glory of a 251 and the smokey, intimate flavor of a M-269.

I'd like to post the recordings of the original mic vs the modified mic. Here's the original mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Original Mic

And here's the modified mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Modified Mic

The song is Caroline Goodbye by Colin Blunstone, former lead singer of the Zombies. Please pardon the production as it's hurriedly done, no reverb or compression or any effects whatsoever, no edits, not even punch ins. It's just a straight through vocal recording from beginning to end.

And oh, the backing track is from the original track by Colin Blunstone which I "devocalized" with some software. The vocal removal is not perfect -- it can never be -- as you can still hear a tiny bit of Colin's voice in the refrain part of the song.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Hey guys, I had my GZ251 tube mic modified by Shannon Rhoades of Mic Rehab. He listened to a clip of my voice and suggested to tweak the capsule to make it sound like a cross between an ELAM 251 and a Neumann M-269 which he thinks is the best for my voice. So the mic has the creamy glory of a 251 and the smokey, intimate flavor of a M-269.

I'd like to post the recordings of the original mic vs the modified mic. Here's the original mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Original Mic

And here's the modified mic:

Caroline Goodbye - GZ251 Modified Mic

The song is Caroline Goodbye by Colin Blunstone, former lead singer of the Zombies. Please pardon the production as it's hurriedly done, no reverb or compression or any effects whatsoever, no edits, not even punch ins. It's just a straight through vocal recording from beginning to end.

And oh, the backing track is from the original track by Colin Blunstone which I "devocalized" with some software. The vocal removal is not perfect -- it can never be -- as you can still hear a tiny bit of Colin's voice in the refrain part of the song.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I certainly here the extra weight in the lower mids after the mod.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I certainly here the extra weight in the lower mids after the mod.
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Yeah, that's what I think too. And it also sounds fuller and warmer and more 3D to me. It inspires me when I sing. I love it!
Old 3 days ago
Dude shannon is a magic worker. His mic's are incredible. Although I sold it and I don't have it anymore, I had an apex 460 that was modded in the vein of a u67 and its still the best sounding mic I have ever heard.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search