The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 29th December 2018
  #5701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I sold my pair of 414b-ULS after getting my pair of Warblers.
i sold my 103 after a/b'ing with my MKIV
Old 31st December 2018
  #5702
Gear Addict
Alright, so after three years of noticing this thread and learning everything I could about these mics I finally took the plunge on a gz251 fet (I know I'm slow). Anyways, I just put together a little sample track to test it on acoustic and vocals (I used my girlfriend since you don't really want to hear my voice). No editing or effects, just straight into an apollo twin using the neve 1073 unison preamp. The drums are a loop done with the drummer instrument on logic. It was done really fast so there's a little headphone bleed on the raw tracks, my bad. Hope it helps spread the word. I'm super happy with the mic, it's got some serious weight that I haven't experienced with other microphones in this price range.
Attached Files

3u Audio gz251 test.m4a (2.06 MB, 1547 views)

3u audio gz251 female vocal.m4a (1.66 MB, 1474 views)

3u audio gz251 acoustic guitar.m4a (1.62 MB, 1495 views)

Old 31st December 2018
  #5703
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Sounds great!
You got the tube model?
I have the 251fet and like it very much!
Your clips remind me a lot of the clips of the Chandler ReddMic. Very similar!
Old 31st December 2018
  #5704
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
Sounds great!
You got the tube model?
I have the 251fet and like it very much!
Your clips remind me a lot of the clips of the Chandler ReddMic. Very similar!
No, its the fet version. Has a vaguely tube-like quality to my uninformed ears, though.
Old 1st January 2019
  #5705
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Yes, I thought it sounds a bit tubey...
I need to buy a neve for my 251fet!
Old 1st January 2019
  #5706
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
Yes, I thought it sounds a bit tubey...
I need to buy a neve for my 251fet!
The neve I’m using is only the uad plugin. I’m sure the real thing would be even better!
Old 2nd January 2019
  #5707
Lives for gear
 

Impressive! Both the microphone and your girl's voice.
Chris
Old 2nd January 2019
  #5708
Here for the gear
 

I haven't got near enough experience to know all the things that my pair of t.bone sc1100s are good and bad at, but using them in figure of eight Blumlein about a foot from the 14th fret of my old Levin Goliath jumbo guitar got this result with no EQ and just a touch of compression.

I'm sure as a guitar sound it won't be to everyone's taste or suit their purpose or guitar, but as a rank amateur using cheap gear, I've been pleased to get results better than anything else I've tried on that guitar.

YouTube

Gavin
Old 6th January 2019
  #5709
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
Some nylon guitar.
Cardioid flat capsule btw for the Warbler 127...
While listening to this samples I am (again) a bit disappointed by the sound of my DAV preamps. They tend to make every mic to sound the same.
I knew this already and made a split through a preamp more suited for acoustic instruments (vintage east german transformer based pre). Unfortunately just for KM84 and Warbler 127 because I just have two channels. But thats the most interesting comparison anyway!
To my ears both mics sound better through this pre and the difference in quality is more obvious also:
Attached Files

AG1 3U 127 (guter Pre).mp3 (1.10 MB, 1887 views)

AG1 Neumann KM84 (guter Pre).mp3 (1.10 MB, 1876 views)

Old 6th January 2019
  #5710
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

3U Audio Warbler 127 (cardioid flat), Warbler I, Teal CM1, GZ251fet

While we where at it @ tonArtist and I did a family portrait with our 3U mics combined.

Again DAV preamps. Most obvious differences on spoken word:
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-dscf1560.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-dscf1561.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-dscf1563.jpg  
Attached Files

V1 TCM1.mp3 (802.4 KB, 1908 views)

V1 127.mp3 (802.4 KB, 1875 views)

V1 251fet.mp3 (802.4 KB, 1910 views)

V1 W1.mp3 (802.4 KB, 1876 views)

Old 6th January 2019
  #5711
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Nylon guitar...
Attached Files

AG1 TCM1.mp3 (735.1 KB, 1855 views)

AG1 127.mp3 (735.1 KB, 1847 views)

AG1 251fet.mp3 (735.1 KB, 1852 views)

AG1 W1.mp3 (735.1 KB, 1857 views)

Old 6th January 2019
  #5712
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Shaker
Attached Files

Shaker 127.mp3 (460.8 KB, 1824 views)

Shaker 251fet.mp3 (460.8 KB, 1845 views)

Shaker W1.mp3 (460.8 KB, 1806 views)

Shaker TCM1.mp3 (460.8 KB, 1810 views)

Old 7th January 2019
  #5713
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
While listening to this samples I am (again) a bit disappointed by the sound of my DAV preamps. They tend to make every mic to sound the same.
I knew this already and made a split through a preamp more suited for acoustic instruments (vintage east german transformer based pre). Unfortunately just for KM84 and Warbler 127 because I just have two channels. But thats the most interesting comparison anyway!
To my ears both mics sound better through this pre and the difference in quality is more obvious also:
I prefer the KM84 on these clips. The 127 seems a thicker and weightier which comes across as a bit muffled and congested in this instance to me. The Neumann seems more revealing and I can hear around the notes. There's more space. I'm sure others will prefer the 127 though.
Old 7th January 2019
  #5714
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
Nylon guitar...
I think with some low end EQ, I like the Warbler 1 best here.
Old 7th January 2019
  #5715
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
Shaker
This is a hard one to pick. The Teal sounded the thinnest, with les transient whack, which could be right for a certain track, but all the others had more impact.
Old 7th January 2019
  #5716
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
3U Audio Warbler 127 (cardioid flat), Warbler I, Teal CM1, GZ251fet

While we where at it @ tonArtist and I did a family portrait with our 3U mics combined.

Again DAV preamps. Most obvious differences on spoken word:
I actually don't find the spoken word files to be the easiest to pick from. I hear some "strangeness" on some of the "F" sounds, more pronounced on a couple of the mics. Are you using a gate or expander or something?

I actually liked them all and think the Teal holds up well on this test. I don't own any centre terminated mics and was thinking of getting a Teal CM1 to try out as an inexpensive centre terminated test mic for vocals.
Old 7th January 2019
  #5717
Gear Maniac
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I actually don't find the spoken word files to be the easiest to pick from. I hear some "strangeness" on some of the "F" sounds, more pronounced on a couple of the mics. Are you using a gate or expander or something?

I actually liked them all and think the Teal holds up well on this test. I don't own any centre terminated mics and was thinking of getting a Teal CM1 to try out as an inexpensive centre terminated test mic for vocals.

...an inexpensive edge terminated mic!

Thanks for your thoughts! Pretty much my observations too.
No gate or expander, maybe I have got just a strange F?
Old 7th January 2019
  #5718
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
...an inexpensive edge terminated mic!

Thanks for your thoughts! Pretty much my observations too.
No gate or expander, maybe I have got just a strange F?
Sorry, yes, I meant edge terminated. All my LDC's are centre terminated.
Old 10th January 2019
  #5719
Lives for gear
Today I wanted to set up a GZ47 but the mic was dead. No sound output at all when powered up and spoken into. It was working perfectly when we last used it two months ago. The mic body is microphonic, if you give it a nice tap you get a low frequency thump. Looks like I either need to send back to Guosheng or look for a local tech.
Old 10th January 2019
  #5720
Lives for gear
 

On the spoken word examples, the 251 FET sounded the best to me.
Warmest "body" to the vocal, nice air up top.

Also... Sorry to hear miscend, your microphone wasn't working no
Old 11th January 2019
  #5721
Gear Addict
 
David C.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Today I wanted to set up a GZ47 but the mic was dead. No sound output at all when powered up and spoken into. It was working perfectly when we last used it two months ago. The mic body is microphonic, if you give it a nice tap you get a low frequency thump. Looks like I either need to send back to Guosheng or look for a local tech.
Somewhere in this long thread someone had a similar problem with a Teal it seems like. He was able to remove the body and tighten a screw holding a ground wire. If you are comfortable opening your mic up, it might be an easy fix.

Last edited by David C.; 11th January 2019 at 11:34 PM..
Old 11th January 2019
  #5722
Gear Addict
 
David C.'s Avatar
 

Dr. Jule, I thought on the spoken word examples the Teal CM1 really held it's own. Very impressive considering it's price.
Old 12th January 2019
  #5723
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
Somewhere in this long thread someone had a similar problem with a Teal it seems like. He was able to remove the body and tighten a screw holding a ground wire. If you are comfortable opening your mic up, it might be an easy fix.
Thanks I will give that a try later, I still haven’t heard back from Guosheng. I have a hunch it will be something simple to fix like that. I hadn’t looked inside yet because theres tamper indicators on all the screws.
Old 12th January 2019
  #5724
Here for the gear
 

Sterling ST69. It's a multi pattern tube microphone, and the rumors are that it's a rebranded Groove Tubes design. Used to be around $600, but Guitar Center has been clearancing them out for under $200.

A total steal. I have two in my studio. I use it more than my 414XLS for vocals.
Old 21st January 2019
  #5725
Here for the gear
Ordered the GZ67fet on thursday night. Delivered at my door this morning. I can't belive how fast he operates. Will come back after having tried it out. Have the Warbler IV from before and that one get's alot of use.

Last edited by MagnusG; 21st January 2019 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: bad grammar
Old 21st January 2019
  #5726
Lives for gear
Anyone got the GZ67 tube, and if so, what's the general consensus there? I've got the FET version and think it's terrific.
Old 2nd February 2019
  #5727
Here for the gear
 

Roughly four years ago I wrote my first post on these forums. I was about to order the CM1 in both varieties - the teal and the black - but very quickly after that some financial poop hit the fan and so I never actually ordered them.

Well now I did. Except I went with two CM1 blacks. They will be replacing my Rode NT-5 pair which I really dislike because they make my cymbals sound like icicles shattering inside my ear canals.

YouTube here is a sample of this nasty experience with the Rode mics. I'll be posting some samples after I get them 3U mics. My goal is a softer, more pleasant but still reasonably bright sound. A less "peaky" sound I guess. I hope these mics deliver this :D
Old 9th February 2019
  #5728
Here for the gear
 

Okay so the mics arrived really really quickly. Ordered on friday, got the mics on tuesday. I ran into a problem - the mics are too heavy for my cheap mic stand so I only managed to record this little clip before the mics started coming down due to their weight.

One is raw overhear audio (well there is a limiter which is not doing anything most of the time) . The other is a five minute mix which I threw together. The CM1 black is in a different sonical universe compared to the NT5's I sold. I am very happy with these!
Attached Files

CM1 black OH unprocessed.mp3 (2.66 MB, 2299 views)

CM1 black OH whole.mp3 (2.66 MB, 2307 views)

Old 12th February 2019
  #5729
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGmole View Post
Okay so the mics arrived really really quickly. Ordered on friday, got the mics on tuesday. I ran into a problem - the mics are too heavy for my cheap mic stand so I only managed to record this little clip before the mics started coming down due to their weight.

One is raw overhear audio (well there is a limiter which is not doing anything most of the time) . The other is a five minute mix which I threw together. The CM1 black is in a different sonical universe compared to the NT5's I sold. I am very happy with these!
wow!!! sounds great!
Old 12th February 2019
  #5730
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGmole View Post
Okay so the mics arrived really really quickly. Ordered on friday, got the mics on tuesday.
I quite like the stereo imaging of that overhead sound. How did you set the mics up?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump