The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 6th October 2018
  #5611
Gear Maniac
 
metatron13's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Alright mic family, I have come around full circle. I started with a 3u audio warbler 6(sold), moved up to a shannon rhoades hot rodded mic(amazing mic) and I just sold the Shannon Rhoads’s microphone for financial reasons and I am back to square 1.

Whats everyones current favs on the 3u audio lineup? Like before I think my main applications will be acoustic guitar type stuff and then singing/voice over/rap.
I was thinking to challenge myself as an engineer I might just pick up a black or teal cm-1 too.

Also because I’ve been outta the loop for awhile , could some of you more experienced guys try and give a good example of a “name brand” mic(that I can only guess is more expensive) that is comparable to the cm1 3u stuff? Thanks.
The cm1’s are comparable to something like the big N tlm103 - I tracked these three and some others in a bit of a shoot out on my voice and found them similar enough to sell the 103 and not feel like I lost anything.

I think for you doom having owned a mkvi as I recall and finding it a bit bright - you should go Teal - I find it to be less bright on my voice. The black is closer to the mkvi in sound than the teal is. Of course the teal is closer to the iv. They are different enough to buy both imho. I must say the engineering challenge with either of these will be less than that of many other microphones - they just punch far above their cost.
Old 6th October 2018
  #5612
Quote:
Originally Posted by metatron13 View Post
The cm1’s are comparable to something like the big N tlm103 - I tracked these three and some others in a bit of a shoot out on my voice and found them similar enough to sell the 103 and not feel like I lost anything.

I think for you doom having owned a mkvi as I recall and finding it a bit bright - you should go Teal - I find it to be less bright on my voice. The black is closer to the mkvi in sound than the teal is. Of course the teal is closer to the iv. They are different enough to buy both imho. I must say the engineering challenge with either of these will be less than that of many other microphones - they just punch far above their cost.
Thanks for the feedback man, much appreciated! Yeah the warbler 6 was a little bright. Perhaps like many in this thread have done for such a cheap cost I’ll buy both the black and teal cm1s to cover a good chunk on the spectrum
Old 6th October 2018
  #5613
Lives for gear
Someone told me the QC on the CM1's is not great and that is why you see a lot of them second hand, but I have never heard this from anyone in this thread. I this simply untrue or have any of you guys had any issues?
Old 6th October 2018
  #5614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Someone told me the QC on the CM1's is not great and that is why you see a lot of them second hand, but I have never heard this from anyone in this thread. I this simply untrue or have any of you guys had any issues?
That’s interesting. I think I’ll hold off just a minute to see what everyone says. I suppose I could email Guosheng and ask him directly if there has been any issues. Would that be rude?
Old 6th October 2018
  #5615
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
That’s interesting. I think I’ll hold off just a minute to see what everyone says. I suppose I could email Guosheng and ask him directly if there has been any issues. Would that be rude?
I don't know. It may open a can of worms, as he may ask "who told you this", then you will say "this guy on GS mentioned it", and as I stated I have only heard this from one person, I don't want to start the rumour mill. I was simply asking if there was any truth in this, as I too am thinking of getting a Teal to use it to asses if edge terminated capsule mics are anything that I should be looking into, as I have only centre terminated ones, so I don't want to get a mic for this purpose and think "oh no, don't like this at all", thus putting me off trying other edge terminated mics only to discover years later that my Teal was simply not a good example.
Old 6th October 2018
  #5616
Lives for gear
I'm also sure I've heard it said that you can buy any single CM1 (Teals/Blacks) at any time and they should match well enough with each other, so no matched pairs necessary, or have I imagined that? If I haven't then that would suggest the QC is excellent.
Old 6th October 2018
  #5617
Gear Maniac
 
metatron13's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I'm also sure I've heard it said that you can buy any single CM1 (Teals/Blacks) at any time and they should match well enough with each other, so no matched pairs necessary, or have I imagined that? If I haven't then that would suggest the QC is excellent.
Well the capsules are excellent - there is not a QC issue on these as far as the volume of positive feedback posts for this mic. I do remember someone having a grounding issue like a wire that came unconnected in shipping or when they opened it. All products have such issues - and it seems to have been more of a one off issue.
Old 6th October 2018
  #5618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I don't know. It may open a can of worms, as he may ask "who told you this", then you will say "this guy on GS mentioned it", and as I stated I have only heard this from one person, I don't want to start the rumour mill. I was simply asking if there was any truth in this, as I too am thinking of getting a Teal to use it to asses if edge terminated capsule mics are anything that I should be looking into, as I have only centre terminated ones, so I don't want to get a mic for this purpose and think "oh no, don't like this at all", thus putting me off trying other edge terminated mics only to discover years later that my Teal was simply not a good example.
Yeah I know what you mean. I suppose we'd be okay to order our cm1 mics but I do understand the concern for sure.
Old 6th October 2018
  #5619
Gear Nut
 
Rocket88's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I suppose we'd be okay to order our cm1 mics but I do understand the concern for sure.
Also if you have a problem, let GZ know. He'll take care of you. I think when this thread started gaining steam he wasn't really ready for the number of orders that came rolling in. It has to have leveled off by now, and he probably increased capacity. Either way, I don't think he's ever failed to back his product.
Old 7th October 2018
  #5620
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
has anyone ever compared a Warm Audio WA-47jr FET to any of these?

just curious..
Old 7th October 2018
  #5621
Gear Addict
 
David C.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I think the MKIV is a great mic. The MKID's are my go-to 'utility' pair but it was almost a toss up between those and some MKIVD's. I'm just familiar with the U87 sonics/applications and the MKID's are very close to that so I went with them.

I'd get a MKIVD if I were you, but if you're sure you want a leaner sounding mic, grab a MKIII.
Thanks Ragan and thanks for all the excellent sound samples that you've posted. Two questions:

1 In your voice comparison of the Mk I vs the Mk IV, was that a IV or a IV D?

2 Do you have any singing samples using the Teal CM-1?
Old 8th October 2018
  #5622
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
Thanks Ragan and thanks for all the excellent sound samples that you've posted. Two questions:

1 In your voice comparison of the Mk I vs the Mk IV, was that a IV or a IV D?

2 Do you have any singing samples using the Teal CM-1?
That was before the 'D' versions came out so it was the cardioid only MKIV.

I don't think I have any vocal samples of the CM-1, sorry. I could do some but it will be awhile. I'm in school and have no time at the moment.
Old 14th October 2018
  #5623
Does anyone out there possibly have some hip hop/rap recordings using either the black or teal CM-1? I've searched the thread and the 3u demo thread and was unable to find anything solid.
Old 16th October 2018
  #5624
Gear Addict
 
David C.'s Avatar
 

FWIW, I bought a black body CM1 used on ebay, the seller sold at a very fair price, the mic is mint and he threw in a shock mount in the sale. This is now one of my favorite mics that I own and I have very expensive mics made in Germany and Austria. I think the mention of reliability is sort of crazy judging by my one 3U Audio mic. Just putting this out there, I wouldn't worry one bit about ordering from 3U. I plan to do so as soon as I sell a few items.
Old 16th October 2018
  #5625
Gear Addict
 
David C.'s Avatar
 

Hopefully, someone might find this of value to judge these mics. Right when my 3U CM1 arrived I made this quick and dirty simultaneous recording of the black CM1 and my AKG 414. Keep in mind the 414 costs like twelve times as much as the 3U.

414 - Clyp

CM1 - Clyp
Old 16th October 2018
  #5626
Lives for gear
 

Both microphones sound very good. If I didn't have a low end $$ good sounding U87-ish microphone already (MXL V87), I'd pick up a Black CM-1.

Always been a fan of the B-ULS BTW.
Chris
Old 17th October 2018
  #5627
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Does anyone out there possibly have some hip hop/rap recordings using either the black or teal CM-1? I've searched the thread and the 3u demo thread and was unable to find anything solid.

Don’t have any recordings, unfortunately. But I was messing around with the Teal Cm1 and a Warbler MKID a while ago, having them set up capsule to capsule, and recorded some raps just for test purposes. I have a pretty challening tenor / baritone voice that is slightly ”dull”, and on the MKID my voice sounded more muffled in a way, while the CM1 was a lot clearer and dryer (and faster), and sounded a lot better for rapping. It was just a quick test, and if I recall correctly I only tested the cardioid pattern on the MKID.

Everyones voice is different of course, but if I had to record a verse of myself rapping I would definitely reach for the Teal CM1 instead of the MKID. The MKID had a sound that (on my voice at least) sounded way too ”classy” for a rugged boom bap beat. I usually record in a room with no real acoustic treatment, just a reflexion filter and some blankets up behind the mic, so that will have an effect on the sound also.

I need to do a proper set up next time and test out the different patterns and also throw the sm7b in the mix.

But the Teal CM1 did in fact sound pretty good for that purpose IMO, and if it would have been an actual session it would have done a great job on the rapping.
Old 17th October 2018
  #5628
Lives for gear
 
Duke Murdock's Avatar
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think you have stumbled across the basic difference between transformer based mics vs transformerless ones when you reference the teal being “faster” with regard to transients. Additionally you have compared both a center terminated capsule on the mk1 and an edge terminated capsule on the teal. Both are very different sounding in the body of the tone.

I don’t rap but I really like my mkiv (edge terminated, transformer based) on vocals. Overall it’s weightier than the teal, but not as fast (due to the transformer) but it’s got room in the mids for a voice like mine (perhaps yours as well) to fill it out and has a nice airy top end to boot. The mk1 is a more mid forward mic meaning it’s going to push and accentuate those frequencies. If those mid frequencies are already abundant in the source it’s going to sound muddy.

Ragan has mentioned more than once that the reason he likes the mk1 on his voice so much is that it balances the source by providing the mid forward push from the mic which isn’t inherent in his voice. I think I’m rather the opposite. As I change the voicing positions on my mkiv to be closer to the mk1 it tends to get muddier and muddier on my voice.

It’s the same with guitars. A tube screamer (mid forward) into a Marshall (mid forward) is mud city. But a tube screamer into a fender (mid scooped, read edge terminated) is ace!
Old 27th October 2018
  #5629
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
MK1's are really versatile mics!

I need to bump this thread. I've been using my 3u MK1's quite a bit lately. My goodness these mics are so versatile! I'm really in awe at how great this mic sounds on EVERYTHING!

In the past few weeks I've used it for VO, Bass cabinet, guitar cabinet, acoustic guitar, box guitar as well as percussion (because I leave one up on a stand at all times, lol) and it slays on everything. Serious. This is one of the best all-round'er mics I have in the cabinet and it's winning shootouts left and right!

I especially love how this things sounds on VO and audio narration. So natural and smooth and takes processing like a champ. So thanks @Ragan for recommending these. I have a "matched" pair of MK1's but at this rate I might have to get an additional pair of MK1D's.
Old 27th October 2018
  #5630
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I need to bump this thread. I've been using my 3u MK1's quite a bit lately. My goodness these mics are so versatile! I'm really in awe at how great this mic sounds on EVERYTHING!

In the past few weeks I've used it for VO, Bass cabinet, guitar cabinet, acoustic guitar, box guitar as well as percussion (because I leave one up on a stand at all times, lol) and it slays on everything. Serious. This is one of the best all-round'er mics I have in the cabinet and it's winning shootouts left and right!

I especially love how this things sounds on VO and audio narration. So natural and smooth and takes processing like a champ. So thanks @Ragan for recommending these. I have a "matched" pair of MK1's but at this rate I might have to get an additional pair of MK1D's.
Wholeheartedly agree. I've said all along that that MKID pair is probably the biggest bang for the buck in all my gear.

When I go back and listen to my U87/MKID comparisons blind, I honestly pick the MKID more often than the U87. Given the U87s (earned) role as go-to utility mic for just about anything it's not surprising how versatile the MKID is. They're very close. The MKI/MKID is a great mic.
Old 27th October 2018
  #5631
Gear Addict
 
Sniff's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. I've said all along that that MKID pair is probably the biggest bang for the buck in all my gear.

When I go back and listen to my U87/MKID comparisons blind, I honestly pick the MKID more often than the U87. Given the U87s (earned) role as go-to utility mic for just about anything it's not surprising how versatile the MKID is. They're very close. The MKI/MKID is a great mic.
Got an MK1 and a MKV1. Like having 6 great mics.

Position 3 on the MK1 is an 87 isn't it ? lol.

If you like the brighter AI upward type sound the MKV1 is on the money too.
Old 27th October 2018
  #5632
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Interesting. Can anyone confirm position 3 on the mk1 is in u87 territory?

I’ve been leaving mine in the middle by default (I think that’s position 2) for most VO and audio narration work and it’s been killing it!

So warm and meaty but still open and clean and it really captures a whole lot of detail. It’s beaten my Lauten Atlantis on the last three audio narration gigs, ouch!

The 3u really makes voices sound bigger then they are. Takes EQ like a champ too but if position 3 is the u87 Sound then I need to try it.

On another note, MK1D adds Omni and figure 8 patterns correct? Aside from that they are identical?
Old 27th October 2018
  #5633
Gear Addict
 
Sniff's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Interesting. Can anyone confirm position 3 on the mk1 is in u87 territory?

I’ve been leaving mine in the middle by default (I think that’s position 2) for most VO and audio narration work and it’s been killing it!

So warm and meaty but still open and clean and it really captures a whole lot of detail. It’s beaten my Lauten Atlantis on the last three audio narration gigs, ouch!

The 3u really makes voices sound bigger then they are. Takes EQ like a champ too but if position 3 is the u87 Sound then I need to try it.

On another note, MK1D adds Omni and figure 8 patterns correct? Aside from that they are identical?
Correct - D prefix adds 8 and Omni to cardioid
Old 28th October 2018
  #5634
Lives for gear
 
bowzin's Avatar
Fig 8 is sweeeeet to have on the D versions, usually stays there.

Also been using these with a Great River 500 series preamp, and wow really good combo. Really great balance, a little weight, and a little bit clearer in the high mids and highs than my Neve clones. The Great River has a "loading/tone" button, and an impedance change button, each change the sound noticeably. So using a Warbler D series mic, that equals 3 polar patterns * 3 voicings * 2 loading/tone settings * 2 impedance settings. Thats... 36 fairly dramatic different tone options. Sheesh.
Old 28th October 2018
  #5635
Lives for gear
 

Cue Barry White intro...
"It's just not enough"...
Chris
Old 30th October 2018
  #5636
Gear Head
 

Hi Guys,

I have been suggested in another thread the 3U audio mics. I have heard multiple audio clips and read a bunch of comments, and it seems like everybody here is happy with it. As I will probably end up buying one of these mics, I would like to know what you would advise for me ?

I will use the mic mainly for vocals, but if I can also use it for acoustic guitars that would be great. My voice is quite bright and when reaching higher notes, i sometimes get to scream. I am playing indie punk rock music mainly but also like to record pop music. From what I have heard, I am leaning toward the warbler MKID, what do you think ? Also people seems to mention that the MKVID is pretty versatile (and a bit brighter that the MKID) but haven t got the chance to hear audio clips from this one or a comparison within those 2.

I would appreciate any idea !

Thanks !
Old 30th October 2018
  #5637
Lives for gear
 
bowzin's Avatar
MK1D or MK4D for vocals and acoustic guitar in my opinion. The 6 is the brightest, wouldnt be my choice for anything regarding screaming-type vocals.

The 4 is great on acoustic guitar, takes processing well. Great on vocals too. The 1 is similar, might be a little more punchy and rock and roll. Cant go wrong with those two IMHO.
Old 30th October 2018
  #5638
Gear Head
 

Thanks for the reply bowzin ! I have also asked adive at 3u audio email adress, but they have not answered yet (email sent sunday). I have seen here that you can get a discount by avoiding ebay !
Old 2nd November 2018
  #5639
Gear Maniac
 
heyokay's Avatar
I'm thinking of selling my matched pair of teal CM-1's. Would anyone on here be interested in buying them off me at all? I'm based in the UK, so probably UK/EU only. Let me know if you're interested
Old 2nd November 2018
  #5640
Anyone know what the story is with the OP...Kidvybes? He has apparently passed away but that's all I know. Cancer? Old age? He was one of the foremost mic experts on this forum.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump