The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I'm also sure I've heard it said that you can buy any single CM1 (Teals/Blacks) at any time and they should match well enough with each other, so no matched pairs necessary, or have I imagined that? If I haven't then that would suggest the QC is excellent.
Well the capsules are excellent - there is not a QC issue on these as far as the volume of positive feedback posts for this mic. I do remember someone having a grounding issue like a wire that came unconnected in shipping or when they opened it. All products have such issues - and it seems to have been more of a one off issue.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I don't know. It may open a can of worms, as he may ask "who told you this", then you will say "this guy on GS mentioned it", and as I stated I have only heard this from one person, I don't want to start the rumour mill. I was simply asking if there was any truth in this, as I too am thinking of getting a Teal to use it to asses if edge terminated capsule mics are anything that I should be looking into, as I have only centre terminated ones, so I don't want to get a mic for this purpose and think "oh no, don't like this at all", thus putting me off trying other edge terminated mics only to discover years later that my Teal was simply not a good example.
Yeah I know what you mean. I suppose we'd be okay to order our cm1 mics but I do understand the concern for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I suppose we'd be okay to order our cm1 mics but I do understand the concern for sure.
Also if you have a problem, let GZ know. He'll take care of you. I think when this thread started gaining steam he wasn't really ready for the number of orders that came rolling in. It has to have leveled off by now, and he probably increased capacity. Either way, I don't think he's ever failed to back his product.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

has anyone ever compared a Warm Audio WA-47jr FET to any of these?

just curious..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I think the MKIV is a great mic. The MKID's are my go-to 'utility' pair but it was almost a toss up between those and some MKIVD's. I'm just familiar with the U87 sonics/applications and the MKID's are very close to that so I went with them.

I'd get a MKIVD if I were you, but if you're sure you want a leaner sounding mic, grab a MKIII.
Thanks Ragan and thanks for all the excellent sound samples that you've posted. Two questions:

1 In your voice comparison of the Mk I vs the Mk IV, was that a IV or a IV D?

2 Do you have any singing samples using the Teal CM-1?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
Thanks Ragan and thanks for all the excellent sound samples that you've posted. Two questions:

1 In your voice comparison of the Mk I vs the Mk IV, was that a IV or a IV D?

2 Do you have any singing samples using the Teal CM-1?
That was before the 'D' versions came out so it was the cardioid only MKIV.

I don't think I have any vocal samples of the CM-1, sorry. I could do some but it will be awhile. I'm in school and have no time at the moment.
Old 5 days ago
Does anyone out there possibly have some hip hop/rap recordings using either the black or teal CM-1? I've searched the thread and the 3u demo thread and was unable to find anything solid.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

FWIW, I bought a black body CM1 used on ebay, the seller sold at a very fair price, the mic is mint and he threw in a shock mount in the sale. This is now one of my favorite mics that I own and I have very expensive mics made in Germany and Austria. I think the mention of reliability is sort of crazy judging by my one 3U Audio mic. Just putting this out there, I wouldn't worry one bit about ordering from 3U. I plan to do so as soon as I sell a few items.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Hopefully, someone might find this of value to judge these mics. Right when my 3U CM1 arrived I made this quick and dirty simultaneous recording of the black CM1 and my AKG 414. Keep in mind the 414 costs like twelve times as much as the 3U.

414 - Clyp

CM1 - Clyp
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Both microphones sound very good. If I didn't have a low end $$ good sounding U87-ish microphone already (MXL V87), I'd pick up a Black CM-1.

Always been a fan of the B-ULS BTW.
Chris
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Does anyone out there possibly have some hip hop/rap recordings using either the black or teal CM-1? I've searched the thread and the 3u demo thread and was unable to find anything solid.

Don’t have any recordings, unfortunately. But I was messing around with the Teal Cm1 and a Warbler MKID a while ago, having them set up capsule to capsule, and recorded some raps just for test purposes. I have a pretty challening tenor / baritone voice that is slightly ”dull”, and on the MKID my voice sounded more muffled in a way, while the CM1 was a lot clearer and dryer (and faster), and sounded a lot better for rapping. It was just a quick test, and if I recall correctly I only tested the cardioid pattern on the MKID.

Everyones voice is different of course, but if I had to record a verse of myself rapping I would definitely reach for the Teal CM1 instead of the MKID. The MKID had a sound that (on my voice at least) sounded way too ”classy” for a rugged boom bap beat. I usually record in a room with no real acoustic treatment, just a reflexion filter and some blankets up behind the mic, so that will have an effect on the sound also.

I need to do a proper set up next time and test out the different patterns and also throw the sm7b in the mix.

But the Teal CM1 did in fact sound pretty good for that purpose IMO, and if it would have been an actual session it would have done a great job on the rapping.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think you have stumbled across the basic difference between transformer based mics vs transformerless ones when you reference the teal being “faster” with regard to transients. Additionally you have compared both a center terminated capsule on the mk1 and an edge terminated capsule on the teal. Both are very different sounding in the body of the tone.

I don’t rap but I really like my mkiv (edge terminated, transformer based) on vocals. Overall it’s weightier than the teal, but not as fast (due to the transformer) but it’s got room in the mids for a voice like mine (perhaps yours as well) to fill it out and has a nice airy top end to boot. The mk1 is a more mid forward mic meaning it’s going to push and accentuate those frequencies. If those mid frequencies are already abundant in the source it’s going to sound muddy.

Ragan has mentioned more than once that the reason he likes the mk1 on his voice so much is that it balances the source by providing the mid forward push from the mic which isn’t inherent in his voice. I think I’m rather the opposite. As I change the voicing positions on my mkiv to be closer to the mk1 it tends to get muddier and muddier on my voice.

It’s the same with guitars. A tube screamer (mid forward) into a Marshall (mid forward) is mud city. But a tube screamer into a fender (mid scooped, read edge terminated) is ace!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search