The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
Would love to know how you mic'd each of those guitars...

Just straight on axis about 18” off the neck/body joint. Nothin fancy.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Since I already posted the answers elsewhere I’ll post them here too.

A - Warbler 127 (cardioid flat)
B - Neumann KM84

C - 127
D - KM84
Thanks, Ragan! Didn't catch this. The 127's CERTAINLY hang in there, and are roughly 1/5th the price depending on the whims of the vintage market, and have matched pairs available much more easily.

Felt like:

- The 127's had more extended bass, at the beginning of Clip C you can hear a touch more soundhole low bass woof resonance that's picked up, while D seems to roll this off earlier, and controls it beautifully in this application on acoustic guitar. A light HPF or small shelf on the 127 would probably do similar.

- On first listen, I preferred the KM84 on Clip D, it has great clarity and the high mids are more present while still being smooth and balanced sounding. Great transients, handles the "chop" of the strumming perfectly.

- Listening to it more, the 127 clips are similar but have more of a bass tilted voicing that doesn't push as much in the high-mids, which comes off as maybe less detail, but is possibly even smoother and more relaxed overall. Love the KM84 but each could easily find a use and be worth shooting out...

Now it makes me wonder how the normal (brighter) cardioid heads on the 127 would sound in comparison!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Hey Regan
any chance you have some Lauten Audio LA120's to A/B with?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Thanks, Ragan! Didn't catch this. The 127's CERTAINLY hang in there, and are roughly 1/5th the price depending on the whims of the vintage market, and have matched pairs available much more easily.

Felt like:

- The 127's had more extended bass, at the beginning of Clip C you can hear a touch more soundhole low bass woof resonance that's picked up, while D seems to roll this off earlier, and controls it beautifully in this application on acoustic guitar. A light HPF or small shelf on the 127 would probably do similar.

- On first listen, I preferred the KM84 on Clip D, it has great clarity and the high mids are more present while still being smooth and balanced sounding. Great transients, handles the "chop" of the strumming perfectly.

- Listening to it more, the 127 clips are similar but have more of a bass tilted voicing that doesn't push as much in the high-mids, which comes off as maybe less detail, but is possibly even smoother and more relaxed overall. Love the KM84 but each could easily find a use and be worth shooting out...

Now it makes me wonder how the normal (brighter) cardioid heads on the 127 would sound in comparison!
Thing is, you could chalk up any differences in bass response to proximity. Shift an inch back and they might even align.. With less bass the mids etc. pop out more..

I agree with what you're saying, it was pretty close though .
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

hey Ragan, do you plan on doing an Overheard comparison of the 127 vs KM84?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
hey Ragan, do you plan on doing an Overheard comparison of the 127 vs KM84?
Hey Ariel. Not right now I’m afraid. The KM84 was rented and I don’t have a kit set up. I was purely interested in guitars, for my purposes. While I was willing to shell out for one KM84, a pair (like for OH) isn’t in the budget at the moment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search