The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaterhornbill View Post
Recording vocals from just a few metres away. Through a 5m Mogami gold xlr lead. Have the gain set to just below half, as above that the noise is unbearable. So my recordings are quiet and sem a little distorted with a visible jagged line in the wave forms when the vocal is silent.
So when recoding from a few meters away with the Rode, do you have to have the gain as high? I'm thinking may be the pre amp could be introducing the noise or are you in a quiet room, as turning up the gain high enough to record vocals from a few meters away means turning up any room or street noises etc.

However, I can't remember the specs of either but I'd guess the Rode could be as quiet as some of their others, around 7dB (A) and the warbler may be still quiet at around 14dB (A), which at "normal" recording distances for vocals, this would not be an issue at all, but at a few meters, then 7dB gets more significant.

I use mics that are not as quiet as the Warblers, but never have noise problems in 'normal situations".
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
So when recoding from a few meters away with the Rode, do you have to have the gain as high? I'm thinking may be the pre amp could be introducing the noise or are you in a quiet room, as turning up the gain high enough to record vocals from a few meters away means turning up any room or street noises etc.

However, I can't remember the specs of either but I'd guess the Rode could be as quiet as some of their others, around 7dB (A) and the warbler may be still quiet at around 14dB (A), which at "normal" recording distances for vocals, this would not be an issue at all, but at a few meters, then 7dB gets more significant.

I use mics that are not as quiet as the Warblers, but never have noise problems in 'normal situations".
Sorry for the confusion, recording at the regulation 6 inches from the mic, with the mic about 5 metres from the laptop in a quiet room. Gain is exactly the same as the Rode.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_SJL View Post
have you tried tightening the mic body? I’m sure I read (in this thread?) that someone experienced noise and it was because the body wasn’t screwed tight enough causing grounding issues.

Also, a few metres away?

Nice tip on the Mic Body, tried tightening it but made no difference.

Confusion over the distance, only 6 inches from mic which is about 5m from laptop. Haha.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Bought the Warbler Mk VI, going through Audient iD14 into Ableton Live 9, in my laptop setup and it is so much noisier than my Rode NT1-A.
Give it some time. My GZ251fet was super noisy after arrivel (a moisture/temperature thing from shipping?) and was getting quiet after a couple of days.

My Warbler and CM-1's where quiet from the beginning though.

If it stays noise contact GZ.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice tip on the Mic Body, tried tightening it but made no difference.

Confusion over the distance, only 6 inches from mic which is about 5m from laptop. Haha.
Too bad, it was worth a try.

It really shouldn’t be that noisy though, mine isn’t at all.

Definitely confusion over the distance lol
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, recording at the regulation 6 inches from the mic, with the mic about 5 metres from the laptop in a quiet room. Gain is exactly the same as the Rode.
haha. OK, well I have recorded with mics with 22dB of self noise and it's not been an issue, so a Warbler should be plenty quiet enough.

Like suggested, it may be moisture or something. I'd contact GZ in a few days if it's still there. may be make a recording of the noise and send it to him with the settings of the pre amp etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search