The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmtapperkun View Post
I've been reading the thread for about a few hours now, going up to page 18 or so. I'm pretty intrigued with these microphones, especially since they seem affordable! I've only by far used cheap sounding condensers and my tenor voice does not compliment it, ending up sound okay but never "round" or "smooth" in the top end. De-essing helps only to some degree. I would give anything for something easy on the ears and takes EQ well. Anything from 3u that comes to mind?
I had a load of work to do with a female singer and bought a MK IV. After a couple of takes, we were both jumping up and down in the studio because it was exactly the sound we had been trying to get after trying with a bunch of the usual suspects.

You ask about eq. What happened was that I didn't really need it.
Obviously ymmv.

It sounds like a 'cool story bro', but it happened. I bought the thing because of this thread and the price. I half expected to be underwhelmed but I wasn't. Not dissing the warblers but next time I'm going to get a GZ variant just because I'm curious - and I've got a bit more money than I had before.
Old 9th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post
I had a load of work to do with a female singer and bought a MK IV. After a couple of takes, we were both jumping up and down in the studio because it was exactly the sound we had been trying to get after trying with a bunch of the usual suspects.

You ask about eq. What happened was that I didn't really need it.
Obviously ymmv.

It sounds like a 'cool story bro', but it happened. I bought the thing because of this thread and the price. I half expected to be underwhelmed but I wasn't. Not dissing the warblers but next time I'm going to get a GZ variant just because I'm curious - and I've got a bit more money than I had before.
I concur with you Chucho, I was in the exact same situation. Purchased the MKID and the MK IV. Both of them regularly beat out more expensive mics and in turn I sold them. For female vocals the IV is great. My most used chain for female vox (except for Rap/R&B) right now is the MK IV>{D.A.V. BG-1 or Seventh Circle N72}> CL1B. As for-mentioned interest, the GZ67 is really piquing mine.
Old 9th March 2018
MYN
Gear Maniac

Updated: **SOLD**
Speaking of the awesome GZ-67, I'm selling my barely-used GZ-67 if anyone is interested. Bought it direct from Guosheng a couple years ago when I was buying and trying a bunch of different mics for VO. I love the GZ-67 and I hate, hate, hate to let it go, but I've been only using my Sennheiser 416 for work and the GZ-67 is sitting in its nice wooden storage box on a shelf here in my office. I ran up a few bills with some DIY projects, so sadly, I have to sell it. $475 takes it and I'll include Priority Mail shipping for free. Paypal only. Message me backchannel if interested.

Continental US only. Sorry, no International shipping.
Old 9th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I am interested in that route as a possibility. I’m going over to his website now actually.

I always feel like custom mics and mic mods are a bit of a gamble. Maybe it seems more risky than it is?

I just want to hear the mic I might buy on the source I record most. At this point though, all of my top choices are gambles.
Ask Barbaric for a sample on a mic. He probably has some. Best thing about working with Barbaric is he's build enough mics to know which tubes, capsules, circuits, and transformers work. If you don't like it, he'll mod it til you do. Great to work with.

I dreamed up a frankenmic and he was as concerned about it sounding good as I was - went out of his way to get a couple of alternate tubes on his own dime, sent me a loaner mic when a tube was delayed, then sent me four tubes because he couldn't decide which one was closes to what I wanted the best. I picked mine and mailed the rest back to him. Can't ask for much more than that.
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone got samples of drum OH, mono or stereo, for warbler III, gz251 fet and tube, and gz12 fet or tube (if they make gz12)
It’d be sooooo appreciated. I started another thread about C12 options for under $1K (USD). Feel free to post samples and opinions there, too
I've done some drum recording with gz251 fet as a mono OH. I like it above the kit. I bet I would like the gz12 even more as I recall scooping some of the midrange bump out. I mostly prefer SDC's as OH in my dead basement studio. I also think I'd like the tube version better in that position, as my Stellar CM5 beats it out as mono OH.

I doubt I have any samples without processing on the way in, but if I get a chance I can probably track a quick clean sample.
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Anyone got samples of drum OH, mono or stereo, for warbler III, gz251 fet and tube, and gz12 fet or tube (if they make gz12)
It’d be sooooo appreciated. I started another thread about C12 options for under $1K (USD). Feel free to post samples and opinions there, too
I don't think anyone has taken the plunge on any of the tube offerings other than the gz800 tube...I think he posted a clip. There might be a couple gz12 clips in this thread if I remember right, but it would take a search

For price the Gz251 tube is $999 from 3u
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am interested in that route as a possibility. I’m going over to his website now actually.

I always feel like custom mics and mic mods are a bit of a gamble. Maybe it seems more risky than it is?

I just want to hear the mic I might buy on the source I record most. At this point though, all of my top choices are gambles.
If you’re wanting to go the custom route, you should also PM @cdkelly. He’s a pro and super easy to work with at various budgets.
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthonymusic View Post
If no one else responds I can record a mono GZ251 FET. Any particular style you want to hear?

I'll post it here in a few days, need to find some time to tune first. -- PM me if I haven't done it by next week.
Holy snowballs! That’d be awesome and much appreciated.

I guess anything is better than nothing, but if your taking requests, something in 4/4 on the hats. Throw in a few fills with toms and crashes

Honestly, just do yo thang and rock out.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

So after some time mulling it over I decided to get a sowter 1303f and have it put in a Mk1d

-I love it so far...more balanced across the frequency spectrum..the low mids and lows are punchy...very 3D. Position 1 kind of sounds like in between an 87ai and a vintage 87...position 2 more like a vintage 87...haven't played with position 3 yet. I've only had a chance to use it a few times at a friend's so far but couldn't be happier. More muscular than my friends wa87 as well as superior low mids and lows...also more balanced. I'll be able to use it more here the next few weeks and I'll try and get some acoustic and electric guitar samples to post with comparisons. This is a well worth it upgrade and if you are electronically inclined I say do it (you will have to cut the bottom portion of the circuit board off to fit the transformer in.
I don't want to heap tons of praise on it yet till I've used it more, but it really impressed me. Catapults the mic up into the GZ area.

-Compared to my other Mk1d with standard transformer, more balanced with better lows and low Mids...the low mids and lows are punchier...the highs are better due to better balance/separation with less smear. The differences were amplified when we started eqing. As a note, my original Mk1d is one of the firsts and it looks like there is a slight difference in the headbasket. The standard transformer is no slouch however, and compared well...at $349 the Mk1d is still the best bang for the buck in the microphone world in my opinion.

I have very large hands that make working on electronics nearly impossible for me. I asked 3u if they would install it for me and they said yes if I shipped the transformer to them. I did via ups to make sure it got there. Awesome customer service yet again from 3u. Total cost even with shipping ($120 for me to ship the transformer to them via ups) was On par or a little less than a wa87
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
So after some time mulling it over I decided to get a sowter 1303f and have it put in a Mk1d

-I love it so far...more balanced across the frequency spectrum..the low mids and lows are punchy...very 3D. Position 1 kind of sounds like in between an 87ai and a vintage 87...position 2 more like a vintage 87...haven't played with position 3 yet. I've only had a chance to use it a few times at a friend's so far but couldn't be happier. More muscular than my friends wa87 as well as superior low mids and lows...also more balanced. I'll be able to use it more here the next few weeks and I'll try and get some acoustic and electric guitar samples to post with comparisons. This is a well worth it upgrade and if you are electronically inclined I say do it (you will have to cut the bottom portion of the circuit board off to fit the transformer in.
I don't want to heap tons of praise on it yet till I've used it more, but it really impressed me. Catapults the mic up into the GZ area.

-Compared to my other Mk1d with standard transformer, more balanced with better lows and low Mids...the low mids and lows are punchier...the highs are better due to better balance/separation with less smear. The differences were amplified when we started eqing. As a note, my original Mk1d is one of the firsts and it looks like there is a slight difference in the headbasket. The standard transformer is no slouch however, and compared well...at $349 the Mk1d is still the best bang for the buck in the microphone world in my opinion.

I have very large hands that make working on electronics nearly impossible for me. I asked 3u if they would install it for me and they said yes if I shipped the transformer to them. I did via ups to make sure it got there. Awesome customer service yet again from 3u. Total cost even with shipping ($120 for me to ship the transformer to them via ups) was On par or a little less than a wa87
This is excellent!

So you have one stock and one Sowter MKID now, is that correct? (You know what my next question will be.....)

I agree re: the MKID. Exactly like you said. Biggest bang for you buck in microphones, period. Every room should have a pair. Or a few pairs.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
This is excellent!

So you have one stock and one Sowter MKID now, is that correct? (You know what my next question will be.....)

I agree re: the MKID. Exactly like you said. Biggest bang for you buck in microphones, period. Every room should have a pair. Or a few pairs.
Yes I have one stock and one sowter...and yes I will for sure
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I have one stock and one sowter...and yes I will for sure
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

I had been debating trying an AMI T13 in my MKID. The AMI looks like it would fit where the stock transformer goes. Did they secure the sowter somehow so it's not just hanging? Would you mind sharing a picture?
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
I had been debating trying an AMI T13 in my MKID. The AMI looks like it would fit where the stock transformer goes. Did they secure the sowter somehow so it's not just hanging? Would you mind sharing a picture?
I would say do it if you can
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Looks like I had them saved on my phone
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_20180213_144626.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_20180213_144611.jpg  
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Looks like I had them saved on my phone
Thank you for the pictures!

It looks like the circuit boards on your MKID don't match the pictures of the MKID on the 3U website. The back side pcb matches the MKIID board on the 3U site. The back side pcb's on my MKIVDs say MKII also. I'll have to look at all of mine when I get home.

I wonder what the difference is? A revision? Or if they may have changed or swapped something out to accommodate the Sowter? You would think that swapping in a transformer of the same ratio would work fine, but I want to ask GZ if it's just a direct swap first.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It looks like the circuit boards on your MKID don't match the pictures of the MKID on the 3U website. The back side pcb matches the MKIID board on the 3U site. The back side pcb's on my MKIVDs say MKII also. I'll have to look at all of mine when I get home.

I wonder what the difference is? A revision? Or if they may have changed or swapped something out to accommodate the Sowter? You would think that swapping in a transformer of the same ratio would work fine, but I want to ask GZ if it's just a direct swap first.
Could be a revision. I'd have to pop them both open and examine them. In terms of the outside I know the headbasket is slightly different to the original Mk1d I own (I got when it first came out) and it appears possibly a different manufacturer for the body tube. They are close but a slight stitch different.
I had originally asked if it was possible to do on my own and G said yes but the board needs to be cut. He sent me a couple photos of where I should cut. That should be the only modification to use the transformer but I never went further and just shipped the tranny off for a whole new mic
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Man Guosheng seems to really “get it”. I could imagine some manufacturers would turn their nose up at such a request. Instead he sends pics of how to diy it and then offers to do it for you if you’d prefer?

Fricken rock star.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Ok I popped them both open side by side and checked the boards

-The board rev names are identical
-The capacitor/etc layout/parts are identical to each other

The front boards say "Warbler Amp Rev1" on both of mine

The back boards say "Warbler D PSU Rev1" on both as well

Didn't see MkII stamped on any of the boards

Attached a photo of the back board text

Maybe the photos on the site are from a prototype version? Or mislabeled?
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_3267.jpg  
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ok I popped them both open side by side and checked the boards

-The board rev names are identical
-The capacitor/etc layout/parts are identical to each other

The front boards say "Warbler Amp Rev1" on both of mine

The back boards say "Warbler D PSU Rev1" on both as well

Didn't see MkII stamped on any of the boards

Attached a photo of the back board text

Maybe the photos on the site are from a prototype version? Or mislabeled?
My MKI matches yours. The back pcb of the IV says the same thing, but looks to have a few resistors that are different values from the I. No big deal there. The front pcb on the IV says MKII Rev 1.

It probably was the prototype of the MKID on the website.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
Ok, followed this thread for ages and read most of it, but can't for the life of me remember which of the Warblers is closest to a vintage AKG C12? Is there a GZ mic that is even closer?

Thanks
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Ok, followed this thread for ages and read most of it, but can't for the life of me remember which of the Warblers is closest to a vintage AKG C12? Is there a GZ mic that is even closer?

Thanks
I haven't used one personally, but the GZ12 has got to be the closest, although it is solid state.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post

Thanks
Warbler MKIII/d or GZ12.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

I know this thread is mostly for 3U but just to put it out there the Vanguard V13 is in that c12/251 family. It’s got my attention

Can’t go wrong with either brand really
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ragan is right, but also if you're doing research, the Warbler IV is worth including. It's edge-terminated, and not a "mid-forward" sound, I don't think it would be accurate to say "mid-recessed" so let's simply say NOT mid-forward... Supposed to be more 251 territory I think, but similar enough at this level to be worth considering. I'd say the III seemed a little brighter than the IV in the comparison tests I heard, but I haven't used a III. If the III seems perhaps a little too bright, I think the IV is very similar but not as bright. Into a nice tube preamp, could be pretty cool!
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

How you who have both and GZ think about the difference?

I suppose its been asked before there somewhere but one could imagine that there are more GZs on the wild now than 100 pages before..

I'm contemplating getting GZ251 to replace my Warbler 4.

Reasoning being that I'm currently in a really really nice studio (acoustically best rooms I've ever seen/heard) but they don't have good preamps so I will be driving my Warbler 4 with my Babyface. I liked Warbler 4 with a nice preamp but without one i'm thinking that maybe I just should get the GZ 251. I don't imagine the difference being huge though.
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Let me know if you sell the iv I’m looking to add a second. And I can confirm that the iv into a 6176 is excellent.
Old 29th March 2018
Here for the gear
Bought the Warbler IV just before christmas. Haven't gotten around to use it on much, but it was quite killer on a female singer i tracked for a short session. Tried it on acoustic guitar, but didn't quite feel right compared to a neumann tlm 103 for the session we did, but not saying that it was bad. Been thinking about adding a GZ-series. First i was set on one or two GZ-67 for allround use, but I'm now unsure if I rather should go for something like the GZ-47V or GZ-251. Will anyone of the latter two fill a need as a allround tool?

Also considered getting a pair of Warbler 127 with the C-capsule to add as a different flavour to my Line Audio CM3.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Others will chime in, but it seems like the GZ67fet has gotten the most love as an all arounder and maybe the Warbler I.

Go for the Warbler 127s, outstanding value. I have cardio an omni capsules.
Old 1st April 2018
Here for the gear
how much is the warbler 127 direct from Guosheng?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search