The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings Condenser Microphones
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshep View Post
Hi folks. Have a Warbler VI and GZ47fet btw… A studio friend was recently talking about wanting a TLM170. Not cheap. Would be looking at it mostly for cardioid only voice work. I suggested maybe he look into one of the 3U Audio mics but off-hand, I don't know of any that would resemble this particular flavor of Neumann sound. Anybody here able to suggest something they might consider if looking for a similar sounding alternative to that ? Veering off topic a bit I have seen comparisons of the 193 to 170 suggesting similarity in cardioid, but i think they're not the same animal…

THanks for any advice!
Funny you should mention this as I'm a 3U owner that's potentially after a U89i which is similar to the 170 but with a transformer. In terms of 3U mic's, there's nothing that I know of that matches.

It's an expensive mic for VO only though, there's the Weissklang V13 which is a straight forward flat condenser mic that should be relatively similar to the 193 / 170.. Plus it only costs 500 Euro's.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Funny you should mention this as I'm a 3U owner that's potentially after a U89i which is similar to the 170 but with a transformer. In terms of 3U mic's, there's nothing that I know of that matches.

It's an expensive mic for VO only though, there's the Weissklang V13 which is a straight forward flat condenser mic that should be relatively similar to the 193 / 170.. Plus it only costs 500 Euro's.
Hi and Thanks for your note! Interesting to hear of the V13...Not familiar and am in US so not sure how easy it is to acquire but would love to check one out... Offhand, curious if you know if the 193 is in any way similar to a Blue Kiwi?

I think what I like of the TLM170 /193 genre is they feel a bit more forgiving in some respects... though I will say if they're anything like the TLM67... well, I let one of those go a while back because it seemed to need some high end eq added back in for stuff I send out for broadcast Post. That said I like the rich presence of the u89/193 in general and presumably with the right Pre it could be the right match. OTOH if it demands EQ to make it 'work' for VO... perhaps not....: )

Thanks! Mike
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshep View Post
Hi and Thanks for your note! Interesting to hear of the V13...Not familiar and am in US so not sure how easy it is to acquire but would love to check one out... Offhand, curious if you know if the 193 is in any way similar to a Blue Kiwi?

I think what I like of the TLM170 /193 genre is they feel a bit more forgiving in some respects... though I will say if they're anything like the TLM67... well, I let one of those go a while back because it seemed to need some high end eq added back in for stuff I send out for broadcast Post. That said I like the rich presence of the u89/193 in general and presumably with the right Pre it could be the right match. OTOH if it demands EQ to make it 'work' for VO... perhaps not....: )

Thanks! Mike
I've only heard clips of the TLM-67 but from what I've heard they sound nothing like each other.

The U89I is the least forgiving mic I've come across, which oddly is not a bad thing.. It's well balanced, it doesn't mess up your voice with second / third order harmonics making things sound slightly off pitch.

So you get the full range of your actual voice, if you sit there in a room playing an acoustic live and people say "you've got a nice voice", that's exactly how it will sound when you record it.

Whatever people say about my voice there's one thing I know I'm good at, that's staying relatively on key and I can repeat the same performance 20 times over.. I don't want anything to mess with that..

Neither am I a massive fan of a lot of mic's "grit", or "harmonic distortion" adding ear clenching spikes to an already bright mic.. This doesn't just apply to "cheap" mics either. You won't get any of that with the TLM-193 / U89I..!

Ever since I heard an awesome naturally talented singer use a TLM-170 on a well produced track I've been infactuated with it, it sounded beautiful.. The added sheen the U89I adds on the upper end (still without screwing with things) sealed the deal for me.

It's an astoundingly good mic (one of the best Neummans IMO), but if you have a voice that needs extensive massaging and flattery there's a massive range of options to do so and you're probably better off going another way.. If you find it "flattering" that's because your voice doesn't need any flattery, if you get my drift?

I can understand why it's a little bit of a marmite mic, also why I like my ISK. It's also a relatively neutral mic (with some bumps in areas) even though it has some grit.. Nice grit may I say.!

P.S sorry to everyone else for taking up real estate on this thread.. Please continue ..!
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

I was checking out some various tubes in my MK-67 tonight and as I was testing different things I also swapped in the GZ67Fet and Warbler MKID.

Man, these things hold up. I remain steadfast in my opinion that they’re the best bang-for-your-buck in mics.

Does the ~$3k MK-67 offer some things they don’t? Yes. Do the 3U mics punch way above their weight and deliver professional results for very little coin? They absolutely do.

I remain a big fan.
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear
Just wanted to give a small plug to a new one man band Ukrainian company. I'm sure Dennis would have approved. Roman at RSE is a great guy and will add features to his hand built gear at your request. He is open to suggestions for new products etc. His pricers are insanely cheap, but they will be going up when he gives up the day job to build tube gear full time. He does not offer any mics at present, so not stepping on 3U toes here.

I will receive my modded version of his TPC-1 in a few days and can't wait! Resonance Sound Equipment – Customization of audio equipment
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Friend and I are going to pull the trigger on a pair of Warbler 127 (transformer SDC) with Cardioid-Flat capsules. Primarily for drum overhead, and acoustic guitar, and workhorse stereo mic use, as we don't have many pairs.

Listening to the sound clips, $500/pair seems like a crazy good deal. And I'm impressed with my Warbler LDC, actually more impressed as time goes on.

Is there anything else out there at this price point, or a little above, that should tempt me? I like KM84's a lot, that's my touchstone for SDC's.

Thanks!
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post

Is there anything else out there at this price point, or a little above, that should tempt me? I like KM84's a lot, that's my touchstone for SDC's.

Thanks!
Oktava Mk-012's would be another option to consider around that price point for a km-84ish SDC. A Joly mod is available too.
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

I need a mic with a smooth top end that doesn't get strident in the upper mids... U87 type mics (even real ones) aren't a flavor that work well with my voice, which I'd call dynamic. I've fallen in and out of love with all sorts of LDCs but even though I have a fairly good mic closet it's the sm7 that I usually fall back to

I was thinking about a 47 type and was looking at the two newer warm audio ones

Which 3u mic(s) should I consider? I like the idea of supporting companies like it

I've got great palette of preamps and a treated room.

My soundcloud link should be in my signature for example of my vox

Thanks for your help!
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Just wanted to give a small plug to a new one man band Ukrainian company. I'm sure Dennis would have approved. Roman at RSE is a great guy and will add features to his hand built gear at your request. He is open to suggestions for new products etc. His pricers are insanely cheap, but they will be going up when he gives up the day job to build tube gear full time. He does not offer any mics at present, so not stepping on 3U toes here.

I will receive my modded version of his TPC-1 in a few days and can't wait! Resonance Sound Equipment – Customization of audio equipment
That guy has a delay pedal called "DelayLama". Lol brilliant!
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
That guy has a delay pedal called "DelayLama". Lol brilliant!
I am playing the waiting game now. He posted the TPC-1 (new edition) a week ago.
Old 12th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Friend and I are going to pull the trigger on a pair of Warbler 127 (transformer SDC) with Cardioid-Flat capsules. Primarily for drum overhead, and acoustic guitar, and workhorse stereo mic use, as we don't have many pairs.

Listening to the sound clips, $500/pair seems like a crazy good deal. And I'm impressed with my Warbler LDC, actually more impressed as time goes on.

Thanks!
I bought four Warbler 127 with the cardioid-flat capsules. They are very close to my Neumann KM-84 mics. I just used them on location for a major TV show on overheads, hi-hat, percussion.

You won't be disappointed, especially for the money.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
I bought four Warbler 127 with the cardioid-flat capsules. They are very close to my Neumann KM-84 mics. I just used them on location for a major TV show on overheads, hi-hat, percussion.

You won't be disappointed, especially for the money.
Any chance you could do a side by side comparison?
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I went with the new BeesNeez Oliver Fet. It’s not multi voiced, but it 8nterested me. It was a bit cheaper than the warbler options that are both multi pattern and multi voiced.

I’m still interested in 3U mics though. I’ll try to post samples after I get the mic
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Awesome, thanks everyone. So it looks like the pair of 127's with Cardioid-flat capsules was delivered today and should be waiting at home. Very excited to put these through the paces a bit. I'll be sure to report back after I've lived with them for a while.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

What does the Black CM1 sound like? I know it's U87 voiced, but does it sound vaguely Neumann-esque like some of the U87 "conversion" mods? Or does it have it's own sound? I bought one as an "upgrade" from an MXL V67G (because a capsule replacement would cost the same as the CM1) but it hasn't arrived yet.
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

I own a couple of 3u audio mics,a Warbler IV and a 127.I'm quite satisfied with them.I'd like to jump to a GZ series vocal mic.Are there any comparison sound files of GZ251 and GZ67?
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotsaris View Post
I own a couple of 3u audio mics,a Warbler IV and a 127.I'm quite satisfied with them.I'd like to jump to a GZ series vocal mic.Are there any comparison sound files of GZ251 and GZ67?
There's a whole thread of 3U audio examples, and some in this thread if you search.

The GZ251 would be like an upgraded version of the Warbler IV you've got. I've got one, and it is a very nice sounding mic. The GZ67 is closer to the MKI, but based on audio examples, seems to be its own thing.

If you are looking specifically for a vocal mic, I think you'll get more mileage from a tube mic. I like the GZ251 on vocals, but most of the time prefer one of my tube mics...a little more forgiving and easier on the excessive fast transients that aren't so welcome in a vocal.
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
There's a whole thread of 3U audio examples, and some in this thread if you search.

The GZ251 would be like an upgraded version of the Warbler IV you've got. I've got one, and it is a very nice sounding mic. The GZ67 is closer to the MKI, but based on audio examples, seems to be its own thing.

If you are looking specifically for a vocal mic, I think you'll get more mileage from a tube mic. I like the GZ251 on vocals, but most of the time prefer one of my tube mics...a little more forgiving and easier on the excessive fast transients that aren't so welcome in a vocal.
Thanks for the info!
Interesting what you say about tube mics.Can you refer some tube mics that you choose over GZ251?
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
Interesting what you say about tube mics.Can you refer some tube mics that you choose over GZ251?
Since we're in the Low End Theory, I won't tell you about the Bock 251...but I've used one a couple times, and it's oh so nice...

I've got a Stellar CM5, which is the poor man's version of that style. It's provides very mixable tracks. I've got a honky voice, so its mellow midrange works well for me. Might be hard to find one of those used though, and I'm not sure if he's still making them.

My most-used vocal mic is a custom-build from Chris at Barbaric, which is more in the M49 camp. More mid-forward (aka Neumann-esque) than the 414/C12-style we're talking about. It suits most singers very nicely, and helps a vocal sit in the mix with authority.

Different designs for different voices/tracks. I also use dynamic mics and fet mics on vocals too, but these two get the most use.

Check out all the audio examples on that other thread and you'll get a taste for the different capsules/designs. I've heard good things about the 3U tube mics, and Barbaric uses 3U capsules a lot. Both are nice fellows, who will talk you through what you are looking for. Best of luck!
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post

My most-used vocal mic is a custom-build from Chris at Barbaric, which is more in the M49 camp. More mid-forward (aka Neumann-esque) than the 414/C12-style we're talking about. It suits most singers very nicely, and helps a vocal sit in the mix with authority.
Definitely give Chris a call and tell him what you are after. He'll build it for you and it won't cost the earth.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Maniac

A tube mic that might be a good alternative to a 3U IV/gz251 is the vanguard V13. The samples I’ve heard have put the mic on my list to try ASAP when I move back to the states

I’m looking at it for vocals and mono OH/room if it works for me in my room

There are C12 clones by advanced audio and peluso too
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

You are opening a whole new palette of choices!
The only tube mic that had an interest so long was the ISK Beauty.But your recommendations aim higher,both at cost and quality.
Unfortunately,there not enough 3u tube sound files to make an overall opinion.Anyway,I'll check out about Barbaric and V13.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
A tube mic that might be a good alternative to a 3U IV/gz251 is the vanguard V13. The samples I’ve heard have put the mic on my list to try ASAP when I move back to the states

I’m looking at it for vocals and mono OH/room if it works for me in my room

There are C12 clones by advanced audio and peluso too
If I were you, I'd also check out Barbaric Amplification. Tell Chris what you can spend and what sort of mic you want and he will build you it. His prices start at around $500. Tell him Kane sent you!
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
You are opening a whole new palette of choices!
The only tube mic that had an interest so long was the ISK Beauty.But your recommendations aim higher,both at cost and quality.
Unfortunately,there not enough 3u tube sound files to make an overall opinion.Anyway,I'll check out about Barbaric and V13.
Bare in mind, in the US, the V13 is a reasonable $749, but in the UK, It's over £900, which is about $1250! So, the V13 may be pricey depending on where you live.

Barbaric Amplification mics start at around $500.
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Bare in mind, in the US, the V13 is a reasonable $749, but in the UK, It's over £900, which is about $1250! So, the V13 may be pricey depending on where you live.

Barbaric Amplification mics start at around $500.
Strange!I just went to their webpage and V13 sells for 419 euro.Not sure about the conversion to dollars,but should be less than mentioned.
Also,it is not a tube mic,but a transformerless condenser.
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Strange!I just went to their webpage and V13 sells for 419 euro.Not sure about the conversion to dollars,but should be less than mentioned.
Also,it is not a tube mic,but a transformerless condenser.
It's a tube mic. Here's the link V13 Tube Condenser - Vanguard Audio Labs

£745 excluding VAT, so just over £900 with VAT. Vanguard V13 Tube Condenser Microphone - Emerging
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
It's a tube mic. Here's the link V13 Tube Condenser - Vanguard Audio Labs

£745 excluding VAT, so just over £900 with VAT. Vanguard V13 Tube Condenser Microphone - Emerging
Ok,it's my fault!I searched for V13 and by coincidence there is one by another company.
Old 16th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If I were you, I'd also check out Barbaric Amplification. Tell Chris what you can spend and what sort of mic you want and he will build you it. His prices start at around $500. Tell him Kane sent you!
Thanks for the info on barbaric. I’ll check him and his mics out.
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Btw I asked Guosheng about GZ-series and he said they are selling GZ12fet, GZ47fet, GZ47fet V, GZ67fet, GZ251fet and GZ800fet and they go for same price.

Now I just need to decide witch one to get...

Last edited by Teofunk; 16th February 2018 at 04:50 PM..
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
Btw I asked Guozheng about GZ-series and he said they are selling GZ12fet, GZ47fet, GZ47fet V, GZ67fet, GZ251fet and GZ800fet and they go for same price.

Now I just need to decide witch one to get...
You forgot GZ67Fet.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search